Print Thread
#371142 01/31/08 01:45 AM
S
Skeeter Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
S
OK....so I'm not smart enough to keep my pay stubs...lesson learned.

But my better half got her W-2 today, from a place that she worked for 2 months as a bartender..earning just under 1000 dollars in taxable income. She no longer works there.

Her W-2 was hand written, and in the federal tax area, it said that 0 was taken out. Is that even possible...we are pretty sure that she had taxes taken out for federal on her pay checks. And we are planning on going in and asking for copies of her paystubs because this just seems wrong.

My question is this...would their even be an advantage to the employer in saying that we paid 0 in federal taxes. And my second question is...what should we do?

Skeeter

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Skeeter Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
S
BTW...I know this isn't the right forum to ask...but I trust your opinions more than others...

Parakeet
Parakeet
I usually file online with H&R Block. When I get to the part where I'm supposed to enter W-2 info, there's a little box to check in the W-2 is handwritten. I've never had to deal with that, but the presence of that box makes me think their website might have some info for you about dealing with handwritten W-2s. Or talk to an accountant, or someone who has worked at that bar for a few years, anything to avoid having to spend a few hours on the phone getting in touch with IRS people.

As for the taxes taken not jiving with what you (or she) think was taken, I'm not sure what to do besides speak to the employer. If you can't get straight answers there, you might have to grin and bear it (and pay up) since you don't have the proof of the pay stubs. Again, contact a local accountant.

For future W-2s, I know some people say to keep all of them, but I detest storing too much paper, so I don't. I keep the first and last from each job for each year, and if I have a raise, promotion, or change in status of any sort during the year, I keep the last one from before the change, and the first from after. These get dropped right into the Taxes folder in my files, to be dealt with in February (when I usually file). All the stubs in between go through the shredder. Actually, the little bit I keep seems to be overkill. All I've ever needed (so far) is the last of the year. I compare it against the W-2 to make sure the info matches, and file it away with my return.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
N
N
I was a staff accountant at a small CPA firm for a couple of years and did my fair share of tax returns, I also filed W-2's for employers and filed their payroll taxes. So, to answer your questions......Yes, definately go back to the employer and get copies of the pay stubs. Employers are supposed to file a form 941 every quarter(you can go to the IRS website and look at it). This form basically states wages paid, and taxes withheld(income, social security and medicare). The employer then writes a check to the IRS. Now, the employer could withhold taxes and then not report to or pay the IRS(this does happen). Similar scenario for state taxes withheld.

If the employer is smart, he would not have put any federal taxes withheld on the pay stubs either. I would talk to a CPA at this point but I don't really think there is anything you could do. Basically, the employer just paid the employees less and was just hoping no one would notice.

So, I would try and get copies of the pay stubs, talk to other employees and see if they are in the same situation. If he did withhold taxes (as stated on the pay stubs)and just didn't pay them to the IRS, then your better half would not be responsible. If this is the case, submit the pay stubs instead of the w-2 with the tax return. The IRS will go after the employer.

If he can't provide copies of the pay stubs (he is required to keep copies), then I would talk to a CPA to get more advice.

I hope this helps.

The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for.
Oscar Wilde
M
M
From what I have always known, (from experience at two part-time jobs) is that if you make under a certain amount, they do not take the federal tax out. As far as I know, you have to pay that at the end of the year. It sucks, really.

If I'm wrong, I'd love to know it.

N
N
Yeah, alot of employers wont bother withholding taxes. It is just extra work for the employer. It is up to each employer whether they want to withhold or not. If they don't withhold, then the employee is responsible for whatever income tax they owe. I know at a certain point employers are required to withhold, but I don't know what that is.

The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for.
Oscar Wilde

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.