Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
Well, the new year is upon us. I have been very lucky to at least partially accomplish all of the resolutions i've set in past years. I try to be careful and only pick goals that i'm very committed to, and most of them i make small and for a limited time, and that helps... sort of a "bite off what you can chew" philosophy.

This year i've picked three:

1) To cultivate an outstanding attitude this year. This goal isn't measurable, but i think i'll know if i have improvement. I definitely know i'm committed to this!!! I have lapses when i feel discouraged, and i'm going to work hard on this in the coming month.

2) To try again to get on a more regular schedule, particularly my sleep and work times. For this goal i'm only going to focus on the month of January only for now, and in fact start out just try to go to bed at midnight for Jan. 1, 2, and 3. If i can do that, i can build on that. I've found it much easier to start many new habits by trying to do it for just three days, and then i try to finish the week, etc. I don't know why this works, but it does.

3) To greatly reduce (or perhaps even eliminate) trans-fats from my diet. I have vowed not to buy coffee creamer or margarine (instead i'll buy half and half and butter), or any cookie, cracker, etc. with trans fats. I don't buy a lot of processed foods now, so i think i can do this. I'll mostly miss coffee creamer... LOL! (I like it better than the real stuff... go figure). And there will also be cookies brought into the knitting shop and i'll have to try to resist. But trans fats (hydrogenated oils)... are one of the worst things we do to our heart, and i want to be good to it.

Who else has been thinking of New Year's resolutions? Would you like to support each other? What resolution have you picked?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
I have a few resolutions, most concerning health, and they kind of go hand in hand to combat the fact that heart disease runs in my family.

1 - quit smoking. Self explainatory, but I have set my quit date for February 28. I will start to wean myself on New Years, and if I can quit sooner, I will, I just feel I need to do it slowly because I have tried cold turkey and it hasn't worked in the past. My husband is also quitting, and we can't go cold turkey together, or someone won't survive lol.

2 - Exercise.

3 - Save money.

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
Those are great resolutions. I should exercise more and save money, too.

Zebra
Zebra
Excellent!

I don't call mine resolutions, but goals. And, they are all part of my long-term goals, and I have a huge list, so I'll just add a few here:

--Exercise five times a week.
--Line up three public speaking gigs to promote my business.
--Increase my savings to 10% of my income per month.
--Learn social media marketing so I can help my clients with it.
--Publish more -- two ebooks in the first quarter, and a softcover book to sell locally by the end of the second quarter.
--Attend at least two social functions a month.

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
Those are great goals.

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
I've been improving on reducing trans-fats in my diet and i've been reading food labels a lot more. WOW! I used to read food labels but haven't in ages and they sure have changed. I was very surprised to discover corn syrup in my spagetti sauce, and when i went to the store i saw that MOST of the brands of spagetti sauce include ingredients that shouldn't be there, including corn syrup. It was especially irritating to see some of the brands with corn syrup tote themselves as "all natural." What the blank is all natural about corn syrup, i ask? It doesn't grow on the corn that way. I found that the Delallo brand has good ingredients... but they are $6 a jar!!! And an organic brand our store carries is also good. But i might just start making spagetti sauce instead. I also found a zero trans-fat coffee creamer that doesn't need refrigeration, so i can get that for the store.

On the goal of getting my hours more regular i'm not doing well, but after i started i remembered how bad my sleep always is in the first half of January, so i think the problem is my timing. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and then work on this goal.

And the outstanding attitude, well, i'm working on it. With poor sleep i've been grumpy lately, but in spite of it i can see i'm making a little progress with feeling like i can change my life and doing things to make it happen.

How are the rest of you doing on your goals? Sue? Deb? anyone else?

Gecko
Gecko
Well, I have been extremely busy at work, so that is helping me to smoke less. I have been working on breaking habitual smoking, like waiting atleast and hour after I eat, and varying that amount of time so I am not making a new habit. I also am looking into a few different quit smoking aides.

To save $ I have bought a travel mug to bring my coffee to work.

I also dug out my old weights to start a weight training program and add to my walks.

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
Excellent!!! Those are all great things!

Yes, i use a mug, also, both to cut down on "the latte factor," ($) and also because at the store they have disposable cups available, but i figure keeping a mug there reduces landfill trash and saves them pennies, too. Let's see... i'm there 5 days a week, so that would be 260 cups i saved last year!!! wow.

I need to exercise, too, but i try to remind myself not to take on too much at a time. I'll get the attitude thing going and my other 2 goals, and then i can start thinking about the exercise. I think it's wonderful you're working out!

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
I'm still up late at night, but i can't do much right now about not sleeping well, but i am trying to get up earlier and hopefully that will eventually nudge my bedtime to earlier and help me with that part of my goal. I don't know why, but when i try to go to bed earlier, somehow it backfires and i have more trouble getting to sleep and sleeping peacefully. Perhaps i just relax better when i don't try to force myself.

I am also doing a little better at getting done the things i need to do for a better life, and gradually more of that time I'll try to earn money. Right now i'm trying to get organized and get some improvements around my home.

I think with most goals we have set backs, it's just a question whether we let those set backs become permanent, or whether we decide to keep trying. We might stop for weeks, but if we can get ourselves to keep coming back to it, i think we learn how to make it work for us. What do you think, anyone?

Zebra
Zebra
Holly, have you tried Melantonin? I use it and it works. Take it about an hour before you want to go to sleep. It's relatively cheap, safe and doesn't leave me drowsy the next day. Actually I don't notice any side effects. I've had insomnia my whole life and usually just dealt with being tired.

You're right on about getting back to your goals--persistence is a great quality. I read somewhere that most people give up just a tiny bit too soon--just a bit before they would have realized success. Of course, I suppose that's relative, but persisting leaves lots better odds than quitting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.