logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#360591 12/18/07 06:49 PM
OP Offline
Hey all,

I've been doing a low carb diet for the last 6 moths. Been staying pretty much under 20 carbs a day. Some day's i'm sure I get close to 25 or even 30. I started this diet at around 297 now i'm 279. I'm working out. For the last 5 months basically just here and there, not only doing cardio but cardio on the dreaded ELIPTICAL. Recently I have picked up high rep weight lifting and doing cardio daily (once again the man eater known as the ELIPTICAL. Been faithfully at the gym for 2 weeks and no weight loss.

For 6 months on a low carb diet, i feel that I should have lost more weight than I have. I had read that one of the writers on this site, her boyfriend lost what 60 lbs in 6 months? I wonder what my problem is. I'm seriously thinking that this diet is not for my body and am thinking of going to weight watchers.

I went on this diet with a friend and he has lost almost 60 lbs and he hasn't been as active as myself. Frustrating.

When going from eating fast food 3 times a day to staying under 20 carbs a day one would think the weight would just fall off but that's not so in my case. Seems that I should have just stuck with the pizza.....lol. Is this normal? Or is this just not for me. Thanks for the replies, in advance.

Last edited by Beasthunt; 12/18/07 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
Could be several things. One thing is "hidden" carbs--review your food intake with a carb counter and make sure you're not overdoing it. About the only thing with truly zero carbs is meat & fat. And, water.

For example, most people don't count carbs in artificial sweeteners, but if you drink a lot of diet sodas or coffee & tea with sweetener, that can really add up. And, if you choose bad carbs instead of veggies, you probably need more fiber.

You also need to drink lots of water, might need supplements, and you could be exercising too hard. And, you need to eat frequently & not skip meals. When you stress your body with diet and exercise, sometimes it reacts by retaining everything.

And, you might just be eating too much. Low-carb is not about eating "all you want" of fatty meats or other low-carb foods. Go to Lisa's Low Carb site & read her basics articles or buy the Atkins book or something so you really know how to eat low carb.

The big benefit is that it is so much better for your blood sugar, so you are less likely to binge on carbs. You can stay satisfied on reasonable amounts of good, lean protein and fresh veggies.

Good Luck!

OP Offline
Thank you for your reply. I gotta be honest I reeeeeeeeaally keep an eye on the carbs. The ONLY place I feel I could be failing is in the Jim Bean sunflower seeds....lol. I'm hooked. But on the back of the packaging I believe it's a total of 2.5 carbs per bag after the dietary fiber.

I do take suppliments. I do the "One a day", Biotin, Fish oil, Green Tea and Vitamin C.

Water, I have alway's loved. It is God's gift to mankind. So i'm not a big unsweetened tea with sweet n' low fan. Although I do do it but it is a rarity and I count the carbs.

I do eat 3 meals with snacks(sunflower seeds...lol)

My main gripe is 6 months on this diet even if one were to slip here and there, it seems to me that there would be more than an 18 lb weight loss. I'm not giving up, I will tighten up on what I feel are loose ends but deep inside I think it might just be my body not liking this low carb diet. I personally like it but it might not be for me. I really don't see how a person can work out, even for 2 weeks and only eat 20-30 carbs a day and the weight not melt off of them. Funny that even the guy's at work who have seen others succeed on this diet don't understand why I havn't lost more.

Last edited by Beasthunt; 12/18/07 07:54 PM.
Q
Q
Like belladeb said watch out for hidden carbs, but i still find it strange.
The excercise that you are doing should have made you lose atleast 60 pounds. Just by the excercise.
There are two factors. I think you are overdoing the gym. That means you are putting on muscle. This could be the reason why you are not losing weight. It is very unlikely but it can happen if you have a body type that can put on muscle easily.
Also the fact that your low carb diet is easily high on proteins. In the absence of carbs the body will use fat and protein for energy.
Inspite of all this I feel 18 pounds in 6 months is too less. it does not make sense. It means that you are losing only .75 pounds a week. I think you could have done that my just eliminated you pizzas.
How do you look. Do you feel your self tighter and your clothes looser.
You have to look at that too. Get a body fat analyzer. Try to get a costlier one or see if your gym has one of switch to a gym that has one. The handheld/home analyzers are not accurate.

The second factor and the most important one is your diet could still be having a lot of hidden MSG/ajinomoto and lot of trans fat.

3 years ago I still remember I had gone one a diet. Not an low carb but i just cut out all proccessed food and went vegetarian and low oily food. I lost 5 kgs(11 pounds) in 1 week and then over a period of 1 months I lost 10 kgs(22 pounds).
I used to drink 2-3 pepsi have 10inch double cheese crust dominoes pizzas and lots of MSG laden chinese foods. Mostly chicken and pork. lost of fried items and pastries with soy cream.
I was suprised the amount of weight i lossed the intial 11 pounds was water which I retained because of a high sodium diet. Then the rest I lost since my body had become balanced.
Then after that I started a serious of ups and downs. I was on the veg diet. The first time I put on 8 pounds in 1 week. that was because I got addicted to a drink known as appy. It was an apple drink with a little fizz. I though it to be a healthy substitue for "bad sodas" but I got addicted that I was drinking a litre a day. I found it had hidden MSG in the form of "nature identical flavours and the deadly E211(sodium benzoate).
Then the second time I started eating quacker oats for breakfast and I put on 5 pounds in 3 days.
Quacker oats are damn tasty so tasty that i used to reach into the box and I would eat them raw. After doing a lot of reasearch I found out that some company have their farmers spray MSG on the crops. So they dont have to add MSG and can claim their product to be MSG free(actually they claim it a "no MSG added" you see the difference now). Then i found that many people were "addicted" to quacker oats.
I stopped that too.
Then i went to a very local small restaurant with my friend and had squid. Squid are low calorie and very low in fat(and carbs too but that time I was not aware of the low carb diets)
Man that was tasty I was getting the same "symptoms" as I had with the Apple drink and the quacker oats. But this time I was like not ready to believe that such a small restaurant would even know what MSG is(I like in a small town in India).that too a hotel only serviing local cuisine. But then I had gained 11 pound in 1 week again. I still continued eating. I thought I was having MSG paranoia.
But once I just asked the waiter if they add MSG or "tasting powder" as they call it. And he told me that they put " a little". Damn man i had to dump that. Then I went deep into MSG and started researching on the net and in my city. I found that a small shop on the outskirts of the city was selling 44 pounds of MSG every month. Each and every hotel from chinese to south Indian and continental hotels used MSG. Only vegetarian hotel that served Rice and curry meals did not use MSG. The punjabi and "balti" restaurants used MSG.
If you had a soup 1 started and a noodles with a gravy by the side you were easily consuming any where from 4 teaspoons to 4 tablespoons of MSG(depeneding on which spoon the cook used).
MSG has a high link with obesity. I had found a university that had submitted a paper regarding the link between MSG and hormonal imbalance(which can cause weight gain regardless of diet or food). Now I cannot find the site anywhere.
I went throught the website truthinlabeling.org
From then I eliminated all MSG in my life and my friend make fun of me. They dont believe but my health my headaches and stomach problems have all disappeared.
I can understand my friend reactions as eliminating MSG from your diet is almost like kicking a drug habit and you suffer from major withdrawal symptoms, that you want to believe that yeast extract in your chips is not hidden msg and then you eat it.
I was at 102kgs and I have an emotional eating problem inspite of knowing so much about MSG I still used to binge on pizzas and other mSG laden food when emotionally down and I reach my peak weight of 122kgs(269 pounds). Recently I accidentally went on a low carb(it was also a low fat diet). I lost 10 kgs (22 pounds) in one month but then as my calorie intake was less that 500 calories a day I suffered from serious weakeness. I later realised that I need to atleast have an intake of 1200+ calories so that I dont go into "starvation mode" and my metobolism doesnt slow down. So then I did a reasearch on atkins and I decided to bring my calories up to 1200 by including low carb and high fat/protien foods. I am doing pretty well now As you might now by Now I have a binging problem but I am doing pretty good. Since I have gone atkins I have got my energy back and I am able to excercies.
Oh coming to the your issue. I feel that you might be consuming Hidden MSG. Even food colorings like Sunset yellow, red, blue, brown(choclates) affect your endocrine glands that cause you put on weight(which is mostly fat around your midsection). Please check and see that your meat is not cured with MSG and other preservatives. Always eat natural. Try to stick to vegetarian. You can get your high protiens food from dairy product(again no proccessed foods here). try to eat organice chicken and pork. Chicken are pumped with steroids for them to grow faster along with anti-depressants and anti-biotics. SO stay away from it.
Also check sodium content in your foods.
I think you will do well then.
One of the major reasons why the atkins has been such a success for some(and also why it has failed) is just pure luck. Right now many atkins evangelists have realised this are are spreading awarness. normally low carb diets are less processed on no processed foods at all. But then you get chicken and pork which is highly processed. Even cheese and milk. Not to mention the steroids and the hidden MSG. So it is just luck that some people make healthy choices wheras other are still eating junk without knowing it and are not losing weight and then they end up blaming atkins.
Keep this rule in life wethere you are on the atkins diet or not. Stay away from processed foods eat only organic and learn to and get used to prepare everything from a scratch.
also dont trust anything that is addictive.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Greetings! Definitely don't give up on low carb. It is a very healthy way to live. It sounds like there are several things going on.

First, one of the posters was correct - undoubtedly you are gaining muscle. Go out to your local store and buy a scale that can measure fat weight. Most stores carry them now. Let us know not just your weight but your % fat. That will help us figure out if you are really "not losing weight" or if you are in essence gaining muscle at a good rate which offsets your weight loss.

Next, you really shouldn't be at 20g for that long. If your body thinks there are not enough nutrients available, it goes into famine mode. It clings onto fat as being necessary. You have to convince your body it is in a *feast* situation where there is plenty of food - so that it's OK to burn off the fat. So try increasing your carb count to a higher level. Also, make sure you're never hungry. Eat regular (healthy) snacks. Do you normally feel hungry at some point during the day, or are you always comfortably full?

We'll help you figure this out smile

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Sorry that was me posting, I forgot to switch accounts smile Also yes I get tons of messages each week from people who are losing weight with low carb. So it definitely is something possible to do and it should happen fairly easily. We just have to figure out what's holding the fat on in your case smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
J
J
Hi... I feel really bad for you and can understand your frustration.

I do disagree with some of what has been offered to you as possible reasons. I followed approximately 20 net carbs for MANY months and didn't exercise at all. I lost 70 lbs. in less than a year. I also can't believe that a few hidden carbs here and there could cause a complete stall and feel the same about MSG. Transfats, although the worst thing you can put in your mouth, would not cause a stall. Exercise does build muscle and muscle weighs more than fat but it wouldn't cause a complete stall and you'd at least feel your clothing getting larger. And as far as it being about luck, with it working for some people and not others... I say hogwash. If followed properly everyone loses.

Low carbing is all about counting net carbs but calories still count. I found after several months when I started adding things like low carb bread and low carb candy that I needed to count calories as well as carbs since the low carb "products" are generally very high in calories.

What I'd suggest to you is that you use a free online program like fitday.com to track your food intake for several days or even several weeks so you can clearly see if your calorie intake is the issue. You will have to customize your foods to see only the net carbs but it's not that difficult. I used fitday through my entire weight loss and still do. It's the only way I can be sure I'm not getting too many calories. You can eat more calories when low carbing but they still count.

Good luck and report back so we can continue to help you.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Definitely you bring up a very good point here. Low carb is definitely about eating *healthy* low carb. Let's say for example that you ate 800 pounds of fat every day. It would be zero carbs! But you would gain weight. That is not what Low Carb intends for you to do. You're supposed to be eating natural, healthy foods that are low carb. So you're not supposed to eat mounds of fat, or piles of processed foods. Foods that are processed tend to become low carb because they add in tons of fat for flavor. That's not healthy.

So like the above poster said, if you ate 20 packages of low carb candy which was 0g of carbs, undoubtedly there is other junk in there that would screw up your system.

How about you post two days worth of meals for us to look at and offer advice?

Low Carb Forum
J
J
Quote:
Next, you really shouldn't be at 20g for that long. If your body thinks there are not enough nutrients available, it goes into famine mode. It clings onto fat as being necessary. You have to convince your body it is in a *feast* situation where there is plenty of food - so that it's OK to burn off the fat. So try increasing your carb count to a higher level.

I'm curious as to why you say you'd go into famine or starvation mode with carbs quite low. That's actually not true. It's all about total calories taken in and we all know we need a lot of fat because we burn it for energy. I can't tell you how many people I know, many of whom are diabetics, who must keep their levels that low in order to control their blood sugar or their weight. I've never been able to go over 30-35 without gaining or having an increase in cholesterol and have been at or below 30 net carbs for many years. IMHO the lower your carbs the healthier you are.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
You can't look at carbs in a black or white manner like that, though smile Carbs are a combination of sugars and starches, and your body does need those items - and also it needs all of the fresh nutrients found in vegetables. If all you ate was fats all day long, you'd get scurvy and other diseases.

You say "we all know we need a lot of fat" - I wouldn't agree with this statement at all. Can you expand on that further?

Also, how would eating more vegetables increase cholesterol? Cholesterol is a combination of your body metabolism (genetics) and the cholesterol you intake. Neither should be directly impacted by sugar intake of such a minor level ...

Here's my page on cholesterol -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.