logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#360227 12/16/07 09:15 PM
642 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi.. I am looking for information on how to attach my orchid,( a cymbidiumm) so I can hang in a wooden slat box. I have seen one wrapped with sphagum hanging in a small orchid wooden slat box in a picture in a book, but can't remember the book it was in. It was flowering and was just beautiful. Can anyone help with the information on how to set this orchid in the box with the sphagum, how to attach and put in the planter box soI can hang it? thanks, jiter

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Cymbidiums are not the best orchids to put in hanging boxes. They are what is considered a terrestrial orchid and need to be in a pot rather than hanging. Dendrobiums are much better suited for baskets as are many Cattleyas.

Susan Taylor
BellaOnline Orchids Editor
PAL Offline
Even though Cym's are not usually hung, it MIGHT be possible to put your Cymbidium in a hanging pot DEPENDING on the type. Do you know the variety of Cym. you have? Did it have a lable in the pot when you bought it? The name might help determine the type.....

Al
PAL Offline
Hi jiter,
Susan is correct in saying Cym's should not be planted in wooden slat boxes. However there is no reason why you cannot hang your cym as long as you plant it in the correct pot.
Since you are in Florida you much be certain your cym is a warm growing type and since you want to hang it, it should also be a pendulous type (spikes hang down rather than grow up)
If your pot is plastic you can drill three or four holes around the top edge and attach cords for hanging. If you are crafty, you could make a macrame hanger for it. If your pot is ceramic or glass you need to drill holes in the bottom for drainage. You can purchase a ceramic/glass drill bit at any hardware store. Ask them how to drill in ceramic or glass, it does take some special care or you will break out the bottom of the pot. I would not recommend using a clay pot for hanging unless it is of the proper size. Remember, cyms need to be in a deep pot, at least twice the depth of the top width.
After you have your plant in the proper pot and have devised a way to hang it perhaps you can wrap the pot in sphagum, or better yet, since you are in Florida, use spanish moss.
I hope this helps, if not message me and we will try to work something out. It can be done, we just have to figure out how. LOL
AL

Al
N
N
The problem I see in trying to hang a cymbidium is that they get to be so huge! Within a few years, you have to move it with a dolly - a chain would be needed to hang one (though it would look stellar!).
There are so many other orchids that can be hung beautifully, and they are polite enough to maintain a smaller size...

M
M
What type off Cymbidium do you want to hang?

Moderated by  Anu D - Orchids 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.