logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
I am trying to apply for flexible working hours (condensing my hours into 4 days and reducing my working week by 2 1/2 hours) as I am studying an OU course and the extra study time would be invaluable. BUT because I don't have children or care for a disabled person it could be refused. To me that's discrimination, but I can't find anything to support me, any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
S
I'd love to know too. I'm thinking though that if the CF were covered, it would also mean we could take paid non-maternity leave.

S
Shark
Shark
S
it's gonna take a court ruling before this stuff gets changed I think. one of these days one of us will get upset and take it to court. then things will get better.

Skeeter

Koala
Koala
I agree!!! I think it is stupid that a woman with no kids gets stuck on the night shift and evening shifts because obvously we dont have family and if someone doesnt show up and someone has to stay to cover the other shift it is always the one with no kids... hello I have a husband, friends family pets, older people to look out after and more responciblity then some dumb baby machine that has her mother watching the brat 100% of the time so she can find spearm boner #99999999993!!!

I dont have a thing in the world against real mothers and real fathers who raise there kids and love them becuase they are usualy the ones that are willing to stay or work the odd shifts just because they need the money and they never miss work just because snoty has a runny noise.... but it is high time someone put a stop to the give out a paycheck so ho ho ho can get laidand have 9 months out of the yr off so have baby #xxx they never work they dont plan to work and they get paid more money and everyone rolls over for them because they feel sorry for the kids! well if the ho cant raise them TAKE THEM AWAY AND LET SOMEONE ELSE DO IT AND MAKE THE B!TCH WORK FOR A LIVING AND SPOT MAKEING ME PAY FOR HER AND HER LITTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad I work for myself!

L
Koala
Koala
L
I was just thinking this because, as usual, I'm doing all the subbing right now. (I finally said NO to a few people. They are grumbling because now they have to work the day after Christmas instead of spending it with their family. Yes, the 26th.)

I think it sucks that I have to sub because one person won't sub certain hours because her children either go to or get out of school during those hours. So now I'm working something like 12 days in a row between all 3 jobs and rearrange my flexible schedule because I have to sub.

S
S
I read an copy of a magazine from the library, it was from June, and there was an article in it about maternity leave (since Australia doesn't actually have it). It was saying how maternity leave is "a right, not a privilege". It made me want to vomit. It isn't like pregnancy is compulsory. Thanks to the advent of contraception, having kids is a choice. I don't see why the hell everyone should pay so they should get paid for making that choice.

The U.S. Fair Housing Act includes familial status as prohibited against discrimination. It typically works to protect families with children as apartment complexes often try to prohibit children. But, it also protects gay couples and other non-tradtional families as being defined as a family, and could protect the CF if needed. It is a start.

I would think you would have a good argument for flex hours for the enviornmental benefits of reducing a commuting day if you can't get them to see reason otherwise.

Koala
Koala
you know my husband and I live with my mom because with my business and his business starting or we are trying too start his up...and his "real job" we can not afford at pay more then $300 for rent and that is with out cable and phone internet and food and medicine.

but If we had a baby then we could get hud foodstamps and a grant to help start our business. we could even get help with medical bills and medicine! why is there not help from discrinemation against cf and getting the help that everyother baby maker can get?

Oh and to top it off We are both white- non-hispanic so we dont even fall into the minority groups either!

I figured out that IF i could get help for my insulin and supplies and hospital bills. we could afford rent and some roman noodles to live on. if we could get help with housing and it pay half we could afford real food and gas to get to work. IF i could get a grant to start a business we could buy a place that I could do massage out of and my husband could also have his business there too and I could run the shop by myself and have my mom come down to help watch the store when I have a massage.

this would cut out the rent for my business and inable us to get on our feet so that we could get off the goverment help programs and pay our own way in a matter of 2-5 years!!!

But we dont quilify for any thing! so POOF goes the dream and it will take us living with mom and srimping along for the next 20 yrs!!! great! by the time myhusband retires we can have a both business up and running!

W
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
W
I suppose it all depends on your perspective. "All" people are covered by anti-discrimination laws. If you're referring to the
U.S. "FMLA Act" somewhere in these posts, then that particular set of rules covers anyone having to take time out for a valid medical reason or to care for a spouse, child, or natural parent. Any rules covering flexible hours are generally set by your employer and, I would think, this would be classified as an optional benefit. I don't know of any state that would require an employer to provide you with a flexible schedule to pursue education--regardless of whether or not you have children.

As for grants for business start-up, Texas is especially friendly to such activities. Grants and low interest loans are available through local Small Business Associations throughout the state. If your business is owned, at least 51% owned, by a woman then you're a "minority" operation by the state's definition.

WildFern
Koala
Koala
I was told that I had to have a child or be an ethic minority female to quilfy. Dont get me wrong I think helping minoritys is fine and all but why must I have a baby to quilify? Am i not a woman until then and if i am not a woman before having a child then just what the #3!! am I?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.