Page 1 of 2 1 2
M o e Offline OP
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Posted with permission:

Stop Referring to Kids As Obese

For Immediate Release

October 13, 2007 - Oakland, CA - The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance joins the Weight Realities Division of the Society for Nutrition Education, and the Association for Size Diversity and Health in urging our government, the medical industry and the media to stop using the words "obese" and "obesity" with reference to heavy children and adolescents.

This is not a matter of political correctness. It is about the critical need to create environments in which children and adolescents do not feel shame or guilt about their bodies but, rather, are motivated to enjoy healthful eating and active living habits regardless of their body size, weight or shape. Recent research shows that the stigmatization of large children has increased by 40% over the last 30 years

Whereas, we believe that health is composed of physical, psychological, and social components, we call upon U.S. Government agencies including the Department of Health and Human Services (CDC, HRSA, and other offices) and the Department of Agriculture to REJECT the recommendation of the Expert Committee on the Assessment, Prevention and Treatment of Child and Adolescent Overweight and Obesity to classify certain children and adolescents as obese.

In light of documented pervasive bias and discrimination against larger individuals by people in all segments of society, including many in health care, the terms �obese� and �obesity� should be abandoned and more constructive and less value-laden descriptors developed and adopted.

For a complete copy of this joint recommendation which includes reference material supporting our position or for an interview regarding this call to action, please contact:

Joanne P. Ikeda, MA, RD
Nutritionist Emeritus
Nutritional Sciences Department
University of California
Berkeley, CA
jikeda@berkeley.edu

Founded in 1969, the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) is a non-profit human rights organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through public education, advocacy, and member support.

On the web:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I totally agree. It's very damaging to a child to hear about his or her weight being referenced in any sort of way - politically correct or otherwise.

AJ Alexander (aka: Bubbles)
Weight Loss Editor

Koala
Koala
I agree. heavy kids get picked on more in school they dont need the media and medical and usa at large putting them down. it just give people one more reason to hate big people. and one more reason for us to have guilt shame and low self esteem.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
You know, the problem does lie not with the child, but with the parent. We cotton wool our children so much, that they aren't outside playing and doing healthy things like they once were - because "something" might happen.

I know one woman who won't even let her children play in their own yard unless she or their father is outside supervising them. As a result, they get a couple of hours a week - because both parents work full time and are "busy"

Where are the days when the neighbourhood kids would all be riding their bikes in the street, or playing across all the yards?

Perhaps we should stop seeing the world as dangerous, and start letting our kids be active again.

Megan McConnell
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
A child's self esteem suffers so much, when made fun of. Dr. Phil was about over weight children today. changes have to start with the parents, if its not there then they can't eat it. and yes indeed children have to start moving. to much tv video games, and eating unhealthy foods,fast foods, pizza, and soda, young children are having outrageously high cholesterol levels. its a family affair.

Rosie L
M o e Offline OP
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
My husband's a teacher and he complains constantly about the cafeteria food. All the kids eat are french fries. He's brought this up at staff meetings and it's been said by the cafeteria staff "that's all they'll buy."

I find that hard to believe. If you provide them with other healthy options instead of french fries they'll by it. French fries should be a special treat like "French Fry Fridays" or something, not something that is available to them every day.

There's talk again about cutting the mandatory gym..... it's not all the parents fault. Especially, if you think of how many waking hours they spend at school compared to with their parents.

H
H
I totally agree with all of you to a point. In the case of my now 10 year old son, he was prescribed medication that made his weight soar out of control. He was formerly a pretty trim young guy. When he gained this weight it was rapid. He was teased at school, and had to go and be 'weighed in' at the Dr's once a month. He became obsessed about his weight. He obsessed over everything he ate, and craved carbohydrates all the time. It was awful. We felt terrible for him.
All of the exercise in the world did not make a difference. I realize everyone is talking about the way many children engage in mostly sedentary activities, and I agree most families do not do enough to ensure their children are active, and it is usually easier to pick up something from the fast food joint on the way home.
In my opinion many families are so over-run with just trying to pay the bills and put food on the table, they don't have the time often to encourage their children to turn the TV off, or better yet to go and play with them. There seem to be fewer families where one of the parents have the luxury of staying home, and making their family the 1st priority. I am also aware that many people (moms & dads) love working outside of the home, and there is nothing wrong with that at all. Most of us have to work to live...it is a shame that the most precious people in our lives often have to play second fiddle to our jobs, or careers. A Gallup poll found that about 77 percent of Americans hate their jobs, so most people aren't working because they love it, rather because they have to.
My concern is for the children who get lost in the shuffle, and TV and soda and potato chips become their primary source of entertainment; whether because of the time limitations of their parents or the sheer ignorance of their parents.
All of that being said...Who would ever think that labeling anyone, much less someone who is just starting to build self-confidence, and find value in themselves, as OBESE, would be beneficial. People with learning disabilities are called "gifted." There is no derogatory label there.
Our children are at risk here, and using belittling terminology to describe them, is going to do nothing but perpetuate the cycle. Just my thoughts.

Julie Svendsen
Helping Moms Work From Home!
[url=www.HomeWithYourFamily.com]www.HomeWithYourFamily.com[/url]

M o e Offline OP
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Quote:
Our children are at risk here, and using belittling terminology to describe them, is going to do nothing but perpetuate the cycle.

Totally true. As for the medication issues you mentioned, a lot of adults suffer this same kind of problem too.

There is so much stigma on the overweight and obese person with judgments made about their lifestyle long before anyone gets to know the facts.

Elephant
Elephant
amen to that. I take oral and inhaled steroids for my asthma daily. I gained almost 75 pounds when I went on them. In addition to those I have some bipolar medication that makes me easily gain weight. I am a healthy large guy and I think people need to appreciate the fact that everyone is not model thin and we can and still are quite healthy!

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
I hear u Jase, I need to take Prednisone 4 my asthma and seroquel for my bipolar both of which make me gain weight, but my out of control eating is my biggest obstacle , children taking meds that make them gain weight is so unfair, Society only looks at the fat, not the problems.

Rosie L
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nicole - Large & Lovely 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.