logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Shark
Shark
Tough bunch. I had to smile, my dh came home last night from coaching basketball. He said even if they can play they will never be a good team because they chose not to get along. And they are older. Someone's always talking, never listening, so she will never figure out a play, never. And that's for starters. Another brags all the time, I'm perfect, look. No, no you're not. you missed 6 of 10. I was watching and counting. But so full of themselves. I don't know what to say. Just really reward the good ones? Hang in there. I may be old school but fair and consistent punishment should never bother anyone, should it?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
L
Okay, now I KNOW it isn't me. Last night I had two classes, one with little kids, one with older kids. In the little kid class, there are a brother, sister, and cousin. They were getting each other all riled up. And I put an end to it without anyone dissolving into tears or getting mad.

But then there was this other little boy, about 6. We were doing tricks on the bars that everyone needed help with (sometimes I do stuff that I know they can't do, just so they learn what the tricks are.) We were doing pullovers. Everyone says "I can do it myself." So I say okay and let them try. Of course, most of the kids can't do it, so then they either ask for help or I ask if they want help. They always say yes.

Well this one boy couldn't do it, he couldn't even practically get his feet off the mat. So I asked if he needed help. He said no and kept trying. Finally I had to help him along so that we could get through the rotation. I flipped him over the bar and he started screaming at me "I wanted to do it myself!" I said that everyone needed a little help, so I gave him just a little help. He was kicking at me with his legs and yelling. Then they had to hang from the high bar and do some swings. When they drop down, I always spot their back in case they fall backwards (happens a lot.)

He started screaming at me again. I just ignored him and told him to go get stamps because class was over (oh, I'd told them all as soon as they were done with this turn they could go get stamps, and the others had gone right away.)

He starts stamping around and bursts into full-blown tears. I just let him carry on. I had two more kids to get through. Finally he went and got stamps and was calm by then, but holy christ!

And of course, his mom was watching the whole thing. I'll probably get in trouble, (I've gotten in trouble a few times because parents call the boss and say that I didn't treat their kid correctly. Apparently I'm supposed take time out of class to find out what the problem is, how I can solve it, etc. etc. which I don't always have time for. And it's NOT fair to the other kids. Oh, and that's what the parents think, not my boss. She's always supported me.)

But I dealt with him the same way I dealt with the other children. How was I supposed to know he was going to explode into a tantrum like that?

My second class is great. It's girls about 8-12. They're old enough for me to joke with, and they're getting comfortable enough to joke back, but don't push their limit. So they're fun. At the end of class they were jumping up and down shouting "It's not over! It's not over! We're going to stay with you forever!"

It made me feel SOOOO good!

F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
Originally Posted By: lngilbert

My second class is great. It's girls about 8-12. They're old enough for me to joke with, and they're getting comfortable enough to joke back, but don't push their limit. So they're fun. At the end of class they were jumping up and down shouting "It's not over! It's not over! We're going to stay with you forever!"

It made me feel SOOOO good!

Awwww. that's awesome Ingilbert. I'm glad it's not all bad.

My nieces are all in or just beyond that 8-12 age range, and on a positive note here, I have say that is cool age. They're just old enough to be over tantrums and extreme whining (mostly), they still like adults and are curious. And, they are better at getting jokes.

L
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
L
Yes, they are! It's been a while since I've done any gymnastics, so when I demonstrate a backbend or whatever, it's usually with a groan. Then I say something along the lines of what an old lady I am, and they giggle. And yesterday I could get back out of the backbend and was excited, and they asked me to give them a high five (which is what I usually say to THEM when they get a trick.) I'm glad that they can joke with me right back!

C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Originally Posted By: frieda7
My nieces are all in or just beyond that 8-12 age range, and on a positive note here, I have say that is cool age. They're just old enough to be over tantrums and extreme whining (mostly), they still like adults and are curious. And, they are better at getting jokes.

I know! 7 - 10 is my favourite age. I used to joke that I'd like to be a parent if the child arrived aged 7 and I had them till age 9, and then they came back again aged 30 and ready to be adult friends! I guess that's not really an option!!

Ingilbert, I am glad you are having a positive experience as well, to boost you up!

Last edited by FeebeeGeebee; 11/29/07 07:38 PM.
L
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
L
Yes, I was awfully blue after class on Monday. Tomorrow I have the little kids (up to age 3) with parents, and that's always fun, even if it is a little boring. (Basically 1/2 the class is doing activities and the other 1/2 is me walking around saying "good job!" as they play on equipment with their mom or dad.)

Shark
Shark
Ingilbert, I am so glad you had a good day:). And what can you do with the one having a tantrum? I think you were great. And you're on track when you say it takes away from the rest of the participants, because everytime he "needs" something it's distracting. Ok,now I have to know, just what are those animals, the ones with your name?

L
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
L
Those are sugar gliders. They are native to Australia, and are marsupials, not rodents. They are legal to have as pets (that's usually the first question I get) and are very fun. I believe the one on the right is Hamlet (he's 9) and the one on the left is Rafiki (she's about 9 1/2.) It's kind of hard to tell with such a small pic, but we have no problem telling them apart in real life.

Their bodies are 6 inches and their tail is 6 inches, so they're pretty small. Hamlet was my first, and I adopted Rafiki from a rescue when she was 4. The rescue had removed Rafiki from owners who were abusing her, so it's taken me years to get her to come to my hand, and I still have a hard time taking her out. Hamlet, however, bonded to me from the time he was a baby, so he and I are very close, and he responds to his name.

He and I like to cuddle when it's cold out. However, now we have 2 dogs, so I have to lock them up before I take the gliders out.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.