Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
T
Okay, maybe I'm being a bit hyper-sensitive. I don't know if anyone here is a fan of the show "Bones" but it's definitely one of my all-time favorites. The show is not kid-centered (I think only one of the main characters has a child, and his ex has primary custody) but last night two of the characters who are engaged were talking about having a "family Christmas" together. The man, Hodgins, asks the woman, Angela, "Are two people even considered a family"? and she replies "Isn't that how all families start?" (cue the sappy-scene music).

WTF? Dammit when I get married I'm going to send Christmas cards of me, hubby and dog and make CERTAIN it's signed "the Smith Family".

I hate that the common perception is that families MUST include kids.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
T
T
I totally agree! My husband and I always refer to ourselves as a family. I'm sorry your favorite show had a gag moment - hopefully it's not a trend!

As a side note, I think we should send those Christmas letters that extol our virtues and gloss over the bad events of the past year.

You know:
This year hubby and I traveled to Prague, unencumbered by yelling children who failed to grasp the idea of quiet time. But we had our boring moments too: weekend sleep ins without bouncing tots, evening dimmers with no soccer games/ballet practices/recitals to attend. We avoided several large feuds about insufficient money for little Timmy's braces and whether or not public school was good enough for our kids.

Oh, I could go on and on...
:-)

Gecko
Gecko
Speaking of shows... does anyone watch Rules of Engagement (with David Spade as the single-guy friend)? It's an okay show - the young couple with all their naive ideas contrasted against the long-married couple's reality, and David Spade thrown in for the weird-single-friend factor.

Neither of the couples have kids, the young couple is engaged and still talking about it (the other night got in a fight over their future potential kids, etc.). The older/married couple then started talking about why they don't have kids (never got around to it), and so now they are going to "try". IMHO, another show bites the dust.

WHY OH WHY is it so WRONG for a TV couple to just be OKAY with being CF??????

Gecko
Gecko
I have seen some CF singles on TV (e.g. Elaine Benes on Seinfeld!!) but can't think of any CF couples. (Yes there is King of Queens sorta hooray!)

I leave the child-rearing to people who feel called to it. I've never felt that call.
L
Koala
Koala
L
I was seriously thinking of Christmas that we should send out cards with me, Hubby, the dogs, and the gliders, but then that seemed kind of hokey. :-)

Gecko
Gecko
HOkey-schmokey!! We did that a few years ago with the bunnies. We had professional family photos made of us and our four bunnies (2 bonded pairs), some with the xmas tree and some without. I included a bunny-xmas photo in all our cards. I figure we get family/kid photos all the time, why shouldn't we send our own? After all, some of these people haven't seen us for years and might enjoy seeing what we look like now anyway.

We also framed several of the non-tree photos and they are hanging throughout our house. One of the pairs of bunnies is gone now, and with passing each year, I am even more glad I had those photos done.

B
Gecko
Gecko
B
Tb - you are right, I don't know of any TV couple that is OKAY with being CF - they are either trying or upset about it....

M
Shark
Shark
M
I did that last year. I took photos of the boys - Omen with reindeer antlers on in front of the tree, Anoki in a Santa hat and both of them with presents and a santa bag - then made up cards and sent them out. Everybody commented on how funny they were (you've got to see a malamute gazing at the camera with purple sequinned antlers to understand) plus my husband even said that it was much better than those kiddie cards that people send.

L
Koala
Koala
L
I remember now! I was trying to remember what show I'd had a similar reaction to. The Office! It was just on last night from the second season I think? It's bring your kids to work day, and Pam says something along the lines of, "I want kids to like me, because someday I'll be married." And of course, she's implying that she'll get married and have kids. Grr, Pam! I hope Jim doesn't want kids.

Maybe they could borrow Meredith's son if they start thinking in that direction. Assuming they'd even get married. Oh boy.

Shark
Shark
I have seen this time and time again - shows that I regularly watch and normally like for many reasons do the back-peddling on the child issue. Even on King of Queens, which someone mentioned in a previous post, they ended the whole series with Doug & Carrie adopting a baby from China and then finding out that Carrie was pregnant on top of that - in the very last scene, they fast-forwarded to one year later, where they had a house full of chaos with 2 babies and Carrie's dad returning home to live with them.

The show Private Practice is almost unwatchable to me at this point, because it dwells so much on patients that are having babies or are trying to have babies, and less on the characters themselves and other types of ailments patients have. I am against the idea that Addison can't be a completely fulfilled person without having a baby on top of all of her success in the medical field, but they continuously dwell on that. A few weeks back, they actually had an interesting story of a couple trying to conceive and having problems even after some fertility procedures, when the real issue was that the woman didn't want a baby and was secretly taking birth control pills. It wasn't that she didn't WANT a child and her husband did - they of course couldn't approach that "taboo" subject - it was because she had a rare genetic disorder that would almost certainly shorten her life and she didn't want her baby to grow up without a mother like she had to from her teen years on. I was very disappointed that that was the true reason for her not to want kids. No show ever seems to take on the story that one person in a couple wants kids and the other does not, and they never show a couple as being decidedly CF and happy with it. It's very frustrating to have such a lack of representation on TV.

Last edited by LSUTiger00; 11/29/07 01:59 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.