logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
G
G
Hello, I'm looking for an Italian recipe for barley salad. I was in Florence a few weeks ago and had dinner at a restaurant called Il Latini. One of the many primo piatti's was a chilled barley salad which my companions and I all enjoyed. It was light and refreshing. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Hjm Offline
Shark
Shark
H
gatorgirl Hi
I believe the barley salad you are speaking of is
"Tabbouleh" which can be make with barley or burlgur. Is this what you are looking for below.

~Tabbouleh Salad with bulgur or barley~
1 cup bulgur or barley
1 pint cherry tomatoes, diced small about 2 cups
� English cucumber, diced small
� red bell pepper, diced small
1 bunch green onions (white and most of green), diced
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, minced
� cup mint leaves, minced (1 oz package)

Dressing
zest of 1 lemon
� cup fresh lemon juice
� cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper

Place bulgur or barley in a large bowl, add 1 cup* boiling water and let sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until the bulgur is tender.
Meanwhile prepare the vegetables and herbs, placing them in another large bowl. Cut the vegetables by hand, very small, as if making salsa. Mince the whole bunch of flat-leaf parsley, removing any thick stems. Remove the mint leaves from the stem of the plant before mincing.
In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, olive oil salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss to combine.
When the bulgur or barley is tender, combine with the prepared vegetables and toss with the dressing. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with lettuce leaves to use as scoops or, for a Mexican twist, use tortilla chips. Another presentation idea is to omit the cherry tomatoes and place the tabbouleh in a hollowed out heirloom tomato.
*Follow the directions on your brand of bulgur. I use Bob's Red Mill, which calls for an equal ratio of bulgur to water but some other brands require that you use more water and then drain the bulgur into a strainer, shaking the strainer and gently pressing out the excess moisture

Shark
Shark
Hi,
The barley salad you want is NOT the tabbouleh recipe given above. Italian barley salad does not traditionally use mint.

2 cups barley
2 plum tomatoes, diced
1 1/2 cups kalamata olives
1/2 tsp capers
1/3 cup parsley leaves
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
salt and black pepper, freshly ground

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the barley, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for about 45 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes with the olives, capers and parsley. Add the barley, olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, and toss. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.

A
A
I, too am looking for a piata piatta recipe, although the one in the link sounds good, it is not how Nonna made it. All I remember is that she made like a cinnamon, raisin roll with rum. i was so little that i did not eat it and my Dad wants me to make him some. Does anyone else have any ideas?
Thanks

Shark
Shark
The problem is that there are no Italian cookbooks (I mean Italian Italian) that list this recipe. I have written and asked an Italian chef friend about it and he has never heard of this recipe.

The word piatta means "flat" is sometimes used to refer to a plate or type of pasta.

Last edited by Paula, Library Host; 11/21/07 08:03 PM.
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Do you have a recipe for seafood canoeli (did I spell that right?)?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Shark
Shark
Use the filling for the Lasagna with Shrimp and Scallops: BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

A
A
Looking for a strawberry hazelnut torte. There was a coffee shop called The Coffee Pot on Rockeby Rd Subiaco WA about 20 years ago where the owners had a Strawberry Hazelnut torte to die for. Does anyone know how to make it. I can t remember the filling but it seemed like it was mostly hazelnut pavlova crust in layers within the strawberries in the butter cream or whatever it was in between the layers. It was a little chewy not like a cake.
----------------
Alice mark

West Virginia Drug Addiction

Hi Alice, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay
"Rosie"

Rosie L
R
Amoeba
Amoeba
R
Hi & a warm welcome to you Alice.

I got the recipe you wanted from my recipe-book. I had tasted this in a restaurant & it became my favorite:-

RECIPE INGREDIENTS
For the Crust:
About 3/4 cup whole hazelnuts (unskinned)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
12 tablespoons cold butter, cut in pieces
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling:
1/3 cup sugar
1 pint strawberries, rinsed if necessary, hulled, pur�ed, and strained
1 cup well-chilled heavy cream
1/2 cup mascarpone

Very small or quartered strawberries, rinsed and hulled

DIRECTIONS
FOR THE CRUST:
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Pulse the hazelnuts in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the sugar and flour and pulse to combine. Add the butter pieces and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract and process until the dough just comes together.

Lightly flour your fingertips and press the dough into a 9-inch springform pan. Gently make a large depression in the center of the dough to create about a 1/2-inch rim all the way around the edge of the crust. Bake the crust until puffed, lightly browned, and a pick comes out with just a few crumbs, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool completely on rack. Slide a knife around the edges of the pan before removing the sides of the pan. Slide a spatula under the crust to loosen it, and then remove the crust from the bottom of the pan.

FOR THE FILLING:
Stir the sugar into the strawberry pur�e and return the mixture to the refrigerator. Whip the cream until it forms firm peaks. In a separate bowl, whisk one-quarter of the whipped cream into the mascarpone and then fold in the remaining whipped cream. Gently fold in the chilled pur�e. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours. The filling will firm up as it chills.

TO ASSEMBLE: Gently spoon the chilled filling into the torte shell. Don�t level the filling, leave it looking free-form and scatter the small or quartered strawberries across the top. Cut into wedges and serve.

Try & enjoy.. smirk

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Cinzia - Italian Food 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.