Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
I am the co-worker that goes around shutting off lights everywhere. I get a lot of slack for that but I don't let them upset me.
I also have to be the one that enforces recycling here. Most of these people don't care.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
I am the one who shuts off all the lights at home oh yeah, and TV's - why does it have to be on if no one is watching it. I sound like my Dad now!

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
I'm not trying to do this to save electricity, but i'm trying to get my schedule so that i'm awake during all daylight hours. It's just that i've noticed my mood is different during the day than at night, but i suppose it will also help me cut down on my use of lamps.

H
Shark
Shark
H
I am trying to save water.

J
Koala
Koala
J
BillieCat-it's great that you are trying to get recycling going in your area. In our city of Arlington, TX, it's easy to recycle. They give us bins and we can put any recyclables into it and not have to sort them or anything. They even take junk mail!

In Oregon, when we lived there, they have a 5 cent fee on cans and bottles, which you can then return them and get your money back. all that meant was that we had bags of cans in our garage until we got around to taking them back.

Since then tho, we've quit drinking anything in cans. Recently too, we purchases safe plastic water bottles to refill from our filtered water in the sink so we don't have to buy bottled water. We did recycle the plastic bottles but plastic isn't good for you.

I think if it's easy to recycle, people will be glad to do it.

Elephant
Elephant
well we lasted with no heat until November 2nd when we suddenly were down in the high 20's and low 30's. Now the fal/winter winds have picked up so we are keeping the heat on. However, I did get a new high efficiency thermostat which only keeps the furnice on for however long is needed and shuts it off quickly unlike the last thermostat that was broke.

We have decided to keep doing this every year from now on. I also keep the thermostat set to 67 except for on the super windy nights when I turn it to 70 which keeps the house about 68ish. I need to get the plastic on the windows so we don't have to keep doing that.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
You guys are doing great!

I've recycled for about twelve years now i think, since before there was a city-wide recycling program. Unfortunately there are some things the city won't recycle, and i just learned they are going to quit recycling glass because they can't sell it for enough to pay for the cost of processing it. frown

I got myself a good compost bin about ten years ago. It's black and has a hatch at the bottom. I read somewhere that 40% of our household trash is biodegradeable. I've found you can't put absolutely everything in... nut shells don't break down well, even peanut shells, though they do aerate the soil. I keep sticks out. Citrus rind breaks down well. I keep finding bits of plastic in the compost i didn't know was going in, like those little stickers they put on fruit. But it does make nutrient rich soil that i can put around the garden... all for free, of course.

Our city will only accept newspaper. There is a school nearby though that accepts office paper, and uses it as a fundraiser for the school. But that leaves the slick paper from junk mail, magazines, and newspaper inserts, and paper wrappers, and there is a lot of that. So i've been contemplating making a papermaking screen. I used to make paper years ago. It's fun, and then you can use the paper for art projects or stationery.

Looking at my trash, another large portion of it is clothes that are too worn to be given to charity. So i would like to start making crafts with them, like perhaps rug hooking.

J
Koala
Koala
J
I was ordering some gifts for Christmas today and realized another thing I am doing this year is to give gifts that will help others to lower their environmental impact as well. All of our kids are getting stainless steel water bottles they can refill so they'll quit using plastic bottled water. I am also giving some organic cotton items and coffee that is fair trade coffee.

www.Gaiam.com has some great eco-friendly gifts. I'm not associated with them in any way-just think they are a great company.

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
Years ago i replaced the faucets and showerhead with low flow aerators, and a few years ago i got a very nice low water toilet with air injection. The next thing i hope to replace will be the washing machine for one that side loads and uses much less water. Another thing i could do, would be to get a rain barrel and use that water to water the plants, and for some washing.

H
Shark
Shark
H
Originally Posted By: joanj
I was ordering some gifts for Christmas today and realized another thing I am doing this year is to give gifts that will help others to lower their environmental impact as well. All of our kids are getting stainless steel water bottles they can refill so they'll quit using plastic bottled water. I am also giving some organic cotton items and coffee that is fair trade coffee.

www.Gaiam.com has some great eco-friendly gifts. I'm not associated with them in any way-just think they are a great company.

Thank you for this information. smile

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.