Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I feel like I hear stories about this all the time, but surprisingly, I've never been bothered much by anyone when nursing in public. Only once have I ever been asked to stop and it was by a family member at a family gathering, and I basically told him forget it. Maybe it's cause I'm in more liberal California, but I've nursed all over and never had a problem. What have others experienced?

Nicki Heskin, Breastfeeding and Early Childhood Editor
Breastfeeding Site - Breastfeeding Forum
Early Childhood Site - Early Childhood Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
A
i nurse on demand, regardless of where i am. i was told by my mother that a lady wouldn't do that in public and that she couldn't believe that i would expose myself in such a way in public - that it should only be done in private and don't i think i should move to a more private place (this was while i was sitting in the drivers seat of a rental minivan on vacation visiting her AND i had excused myself from the restaurant only as a show of respect to her). i never excused myself again - i now bf right at the table, regardless of what restaurant i am in or who i a with.

i have to admit that i was nervous the first time my hubby and i ate out with my father in law, though. but, he handled it like a champ - stared and said nothing! it was the only time i've ever seen him speechless! lol!

one time in a restaurant a small family was seated at the table 2 to my left (there was nobody directly beside us). the wife very loudly said that it was not appropriate for her daughter to have to see it and complained to the waitress. the waitress advised her to speak with the hostess for an alternate table - she did and they were promptly moved. the restaurant never said anything to us.

another time i was bfing on a couch in the middle of the mall. i would have chosen a more discreet location had i the time, but my dd was screaming to be fed so i found the first seat and fed. as people passed by i was shocked and disappointed at the number of negative looks we got. we did get a few very positive expressions, though, too.

one other time i asked an employee at the zoo if they had a nursing room somewhere (i have no problem nursing in public but sometimes it's nice to have a calm, relaxing environment with a comfy chair). he asked if i could do that in the bathroom, and i said, "um, no" so he said that he would have the family bathroom unlocked for me. by the time i got there it was unlocked and i found a toilet and a changing station. i was disgusted and promptly went to the cafeteria to eat and feed. i don't think he meant harm - he was just ingnorant. by the way, in contrast, disneyworld has a really nice nursing room in each park - i only wish they had more in the magic kingdom since the park is sooooo big.

otherwise i have never really had any negative experience while nip, and i do it all the time. when i was novice i used a bebe au lait nursing wrap but quickly decided that it was not comfy for my dd and simply not in her best interest. i have kept it for rare occasions when my clothing does not allow for discreet nursing (like fancier occasions when i wear a dress that i must pull the neck down, thus exposing my entire breast).

All the best,
anythingforbaby
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I've posted this stuff in other threads on here so I will post here too.

I am a father of five children with three different women and my present wife is the only one who was able to breastfeed. I think it is a very beautiful thing aside from it being healthy for the baby and a great bonding tool for mother and baby.

I have held blankets up for my wife in public or when we have had guests over to the aprtment so she could breastfeed without worries.

I was a mall security guard for a few years and have seen women breastfeeding in the mall common areas. I have invited them to the security office or the mall office to breastfeed in private and when anyone has refused then I stood there a couple of feet away with my back to them and kind of acted like a shield for them.

I am on the hospitality team at church and there was a woman sitting in the foyer one Sunday breastfedding and I invited her into another room with a more comfortable chair for her comfort and privacy.

I believe it is hard enough for women to breastfeed in public without worrying if they are offending anyone that they certainly do not need to be hassled for it or ridiculed. My hat is off to everyone who breastfeeds.

Please do not let a few close minded people stop you from doing what you need to do to take care of your child.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
A
A
Thanks for your response, Vance. It's so nice when men truly appreciate the breastfeeding bond.

All the best,
anythingforbaby
S
Shark
Shark
S
Background--worked labor and delivery for a few years..so I can really see the bond that occurs from day 1 of breastfeeding (despite the often dificulties involved in getting the little one to actually take the nipple) as far as public places...no problem they are public. Mall, park, etc. I really don't care that someone is out there breastfeeding, granted I'm not as chivilrous as Vance is(would feel perverted walking up and talking to a breastfeeding mom). But I'm not overly offended.

The part that bothers me is the "technically public" places, but places that are "insert word for nice place". Fancy restraunts, a dance hall(not a club), etc. I tried to take my wife out for a very nice romantic dinner, and the mood is kind of spoiled when the next table over is breast feeding. I've also seen breast feeding happen both at weddings and at funerals. At some point arn't we crossing a line?

Most places are fair game, but if you are in the middle of 300 dollar plate at a restraunt, please get up and go to the bathroom. Weddings--you are ruining her big day, not on purpose, but just by providing that distraction. Funerals--could you be more disrespectful to the dead? I'm not saying don't breast feed, but walk around a corner, use a restroom, a sitting room, something. At the very least, if you are breast feeding, please throw a blanket over the little one and the breast. What you may be proud to show off is still disconserting to others.

IMHO
Skeeter

A
A
I don't understand what motivates you to post the such on a breastfeeding board? If you were looking to be educated, then great. But that is not what I get from your post. Are you really lurking here just to bash women that breastfeed in public? You are obviously uneducated on the subject. Sorry if I am coming off strong but I am highly offended by your post. What exactly is your purpose?

All the best,
anythingforbaby
S
S
I am lucky perhaps. I have nursed in public for a long, long time and only ever received positive comments when people saw. This might have been down to using a maya sling in part.

Meet like minded people sharing their success stories
and tips to help you lose the weight you want and get
the body you've always dreamed of. Just visit:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
J
J
My youngest is now 13 months, and I am still nursing her. I have absolutely no problem with moms who nurse in public without being covered. I am just prudish and more self-conscious so it is not an option for me. But it is really important to me to give my babies the best nourishment possible.

That is why I created a cover-up for moms who want to provide their babies with warmth and comfort, and, most importantly to me, to give those mothers who are bashful the privacy they crave. I have never been very comfortable with being naked in public, not even in front of my own mom. I call my cover-up Private Dining because it gives modest women like me the wherewithal to nurse in public instead of choosing formula.

Wearing my cover-up makes me confident enough to breastfeed anywhere, anytime. While wearing Private Dining, nobody has ever stared at me. They simply think I am wearing a poncho because of the wonderful design.

While I respect every mom who nurses, modest moms should be supported and praised just the same as moms who breastfeed au naturel.

My support goes out to ALL nursing moms; it is not always easy!
Jorie

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Jorie
My youngest is now 13 months, and I am still nursing her. I have absolutely no problem with moms who nurse in public without being covered. I am just prudish and more self-conscious so it is not an option for me. But it is really important to me to give my babies the best nourishment possible.

That is why I created a cover-up for moms who want to provide their babies with warmth and comfort, and, most importantly to me, to give those mothers who are bashful the privacy they crave. I have never been very comfortable with being naked in public, not even in front of my own mom. I call my cover-up Private Dining because it gives modest women like me the wherewithal to nurse in public instead of choosing formula.

Check out my review of Jorie's product at Private Dining Nursing Cover Review

Nicki Heskin, Breastfeeding and Early Childhood Editor
Breastfeeding Site - Breastfeeding Forum
Early Childhood Site - Early Childhood Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
My "baby" is now 24. I breast fed all 4 of my children and even back then when the baby was hungry I fed it, where ever I happened to be; restaurant, mall, etc. In my experience a quietly breast feeding baby attracts a lot less attention than a crying, hungry one.

It was also my feeling, and still is, that breasts were put there for that purpose and anyone who didn't like it didn't have to look. That being said, I was also very careful not to expose myself in public; but with a t shirt on it could be lifted from the bottom and my bra could be opened from inside the shirt so no one actually ever got to see anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.