logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Koala
Koala
I just painted in my house and I did the kitchen a bright color. I like it to be nice and bright in my kitchen. Everything else I did in the same color. I do lack my bedroom and the bathroom upstairs and the unfinished mold room.

Well, I don't think I told ya'll that when we had that rain the spot on the house that was leaking to begin with was leaking again! Luckily we had not put the insulation up (hubby had planned to do it the day it started raining so we would have something to do that day). One of the workers for the siding company came and he said there was a big hole in the caulk that was on the top of the window and that was why it was leaking. I still can't think how lucky we were that we didn't put that wall back together and caught that leak. So this guy is supposed to come back and recaulk everything. And the guy that put up the guttering came on Sunday and he fixed it.

My dad came last weekend and they got the doors in the house all moved and hung and the new storm door on the front door. They ran into problems with the other exterior door. The opening at the top of the door is an inch wider than the opening at the bottom. No wonder that screen door was always difficult! Dad said he had to go home and think about what to do to that to fix it. We didn't get to the resheetrocking in the mold room, but with that leak we decided we should probably wait until the next rain and see if it is fixed. I have been unhappy about the whole siding thing. For years we will probably talk about it! I just thought they would do the siding, the hole in our house would be covered and no more leaks. Just goes to show that I don't know anything lol.

iwonder...I also have 4 kids. One of them is 21 today. The last one at home is a Junior. I will miss him when he is not home anymore but some days I am ready for him to fly the nest!

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
What's the mold room all about? Sounds like my basement. Glad to hear your rain gutters are good. I am thinking about the kitchen paint, which color goes well with tan and white? I like red, but I don't think with the light-near-white counter tops it's a great idea?

Koala
Koala
We live in a 100 yr old house. The previous owners had installed central ac/heat. A unit upstairs (it is in the attic) and one in the basement under the house. When they did the basement they did not do much of anything around the hole that was cut for the unit. All we could see that was done was they put flashing up around the hole cut into the house and the flashing met up with the unit. So, this year we had lots and lots of rain which we have only lived here 4 years and never had that much rain. So the basement started leaking and the mold started there. We had decided to paint the house and were doing some scraping and the wall the unit is on the paint was peeling a bit. So we get to scraping and hubby tells me that there is this crack that runs the lenght of the wall and after messing with it he took off the flashing (maybe they had caulked around that) and when he removed the flashing the house crumbled and you could see the boards underneath the chickenwire and stucco. The chicken wire had even decentigrated. Also the footing around the base of the house was cracked and that area water tends to pool if it rains enough. So, we decided to see if we could get someone to repair the stucco and after a couple of days of calling around I couldn't find anyone. A company had came and gave us an estimate for windows and siding in January and we thought that might be a better alternative. They started with the windows. The day they left we were in the room above the ac unit. It has old timey newsprint looking wallpaper and it is something I was going to redo eventually. All the wallpaper they put up was peeling (we have some in the bathroom too) and under the window it was very loose. Well, hubby decided to pull it off and lo and behold right there was a big spot of mold. We pulled the wallpaper off and then I tore out the sheetrock where the mold was and there was even old mold above the window. Hence the name the mold room.

Our kitchen is a kind of manilla envelope color on the counters and backsplash. The walls were white and I put a very light peach color on the walls. I think next time I may go a little darker. My dad is going to come and teach us how to tile and I am going to replace the laminate with white tile. I figure white never goes out of style and won't date the kitchen. You can always change the curtains and paint and your accessories.

Buy a quart of red and try it. If you like it, go for it!

~anonymous~
Shark
Shark
Grrrr, as we finish up the living room painting and moving furniture from the living room to the family room, and from the family room to my other house (that's another story), we find more water damage in the basement. The family room. Hence we'll finish this up and start over on that room. It's never ending. I think red or a green, just not sure I like green with the tan, same color tone or something going on. Thanks for sharing!

Koala
Koala
Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your water damage. Sometimes I think renting would be so much easier lol.

~anonymous~
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
<<What's the mold room all about?>>

Connie, when Iwonder asked this question the first thing that came to my head was that when you get that room all done, you should paint up a little sign in fancy letters and hang it over a door or window that says "The Mold Room." LOL After everything you went thru with that room, it almost deserves an official name! LOL

Iwonder, I love red with tan! And, red is a great color for a kitchen because it stimulates the appetite! But, it is also a very warm and welcoming color - and that's a great atmosphere for a kitchen.

When I'm hung up on colors I often think of how they look together in nature or on clothing. For example...consider khaki (tan) pants and a man's blazer. What color blazer looks better to you...red or green?

It's all personal preference. While I think red is great for a kitchen, the green could look really nice (think green leaves and "tan" tree trunks). It depends on the hue a lot, too. Is your tan light or dark, etc. An apple green is a really pretty color - so is hunter green.

I always try to tie 3 colors together throughout the main living areas of my home to help the house "flow."

What kind of patterns are you using in your living and dining room that you can tie into your kitchen (assuming by adjacent you meant you can see the 3 rooms)?

If you are using red accents in the living and dining room, then a red kitchen with tan and white accents could look phenomenal. Or substitute the red for green or blue, etc.

You can use more than 3 colors, of course, but if you start with at least 3 that you repeat - using one as a main color, a secondary and an accent color and then switch them around in the next room - your home will flow very nicely.

Donna

Donna Coogan, C.I.D.

Koala
Koala
LOL...mold room sign. I love it! The room I finally finished the floor in was originally going to be my dog's room and then we had our grandbaby and then it was supposed to be for when she was here. I babysat her every day until she was about 3. Well, after she moved we decided it would be a spare room. Then after I started doing so much beading that is what it turned into. Hubby told my dad to make me a sign that says "Connie's Beading Barn". Which I think is totally hillarious...beading barn. I don't know where he gets it.

Donna's got great ideas with the paint and accessories...chosing what to do is half of the fun!

~anonymous~
Shark
Shark
I think I'll try the red. I just wish I had more lighting! Maybe it's time for a change... Here we go again! But the living area turned out wonderful, I'm really happy with the "cowboy tan" and white trim! I use red accessories in both rooms, I'll have to mix it up in the kitchen, nothing spray paint can't remedy. It just takes so much time, because I want to do it all at once!

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Connie's Beading Barn! LOL That is cute. My husband put a sign on the outside of my mosaic studio that said Area 51. LOL

Iwonder - I bet the red will look fantastic - esp since you are tying it into the accents from the other rooms. I know what you mean about wanting to do it all at once. My problem is I start and stop too many projects so it takes forever to complete just one! wink I have too many ideas and need to sloooow it down. LOL

Donna

Donna Coogan, C.I.D.

Shark
Shark
Oh, that is so me. Too many projects, so little time. Quilting, scrap booking, updating rooms and remodeling. Forget about completing anything. I also thing the beading barn sounds like a fun place to be.

We looked at a really old home in town about a year and a half ago, it has a lot of character. I love homes as such, but there was a few obstacles that were deal breakers. The house has never sold, and we have a good market in this small town, guess we weren't the only ones that saw the downside. But I love old homes!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.