1)FEAR: My problems are too small and trivial to talk about.
FACT: Any concern is a valid concern. Talking with a caring professional might help put into perspective just how big or small your concerns are.

2)FEAR: People who go to Counseling Centers are crazy or weak or weird.
FACT: The truth is that most students who seek help at any kind of Counseling Center are �regular� people� trying to find ways to feel better and live less stressful lives. Some people are more emotionally troubled than others. But, not everyone who seeks help is emotionally �disturbed�. Since most people experience some degree of emotional distress at various points in their lives, seeking counseling as a step in coping with this distress is certainly not an indication of having a psychiatric disorder. Instead, this kind of choice represents a courageous, mature, and responsible attitude.

3)FEAR: I should be strong enough and have faith enough to solve my own problems.
FACT: Choosing to seek help and ask for help shows wisdom and courage. It also affirms the way we human beings were created: to be in relationship to each other. Plus, counseling is a tremendous benefit to any person, so why not use it?

Carissa Vaughn Mental Health Editor