Next Thread
Print Thread
#343240 09/23/07 02:05 PM
D
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
D
This new series has been the target of some controversy. What are your thoughts?

You can read my article about Kid Nation here:
Kid Nation

Last edited by Danielle Primetime TV; 09/24/07 04:35 PM.

Danielle
Prime Time TV
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
D
Last week, I found the show interesting. It's a reality show, so the "survival" elements balanced the competitive fun. This week, the show went too far. Kids can learn important life lessons without setting them up to kill animals. The producers went too far, and it added nothing of value to the show, in my opinion.

Danielle
Prime Time TV
Shoot, I meant to watch it tonight. What happened? My kids have been sick, so, it slipped my mind. I did enjoy it last week. I was afraid it would be too "Lord of the Flies", but it was pretty good.

cpatt #344198 09/26/07 09:31 PM
D
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
D
Welcome, cpatt!

I really enjoyed the show last week, too. This week, the producers set the kids up to kill some of the chickens. It was very clearly staged to elicit drama and ratings. Kid Nation is a reality show, not a true-life survival experience. There was no reason to have these children killing animals in one scene, and bribing them with a giant 40-foot waterslide as a reward in the next. (That was one of the choices for the group rewards, along with several non-freezing water pumps, following the Showdown.)

The show can be compelling without crossing the line, which I think they did this week. I was actually sick to my stomach.

Danielle
Prime Time TV
Oh, I am glad that I didn't watch it then. I was afraid that they would cross the line. I was dead set against the show when I first heard about it. Then, I saw an interview with the producers and they made it look like a sort of "Outward Bound" type of experience where the kids demonstrated superior character. Why can't they just shed kids in a positive light without making it controversial? Makes you wonder if they have kids and if they do what kind of parents they are. hmmmm

PS Thanks for the welcome. I just found this forum and I feel like I have come home. It is awesome! Anyway...

cpatt #344267 09/27/07 07:27 AM
D
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
D
That is exactly what I thought, too, Cassie! I was thinking it would be more of an Outward Bound type situation, with your typical reality-show challenges thrown in for entertainment. I wonder what the kids' parents thought when they found out about this episode. Some of the other controversy didn't seem that big of a deal to me - most of the alleged complaints were about things that could easily happen in anyone's home, no matter how much supervision was present. If they're looking for ratings through controversy and drama, though, they've definitely achieved their goal. But at what price?

I'm so glad you're enjoying the forum! Thank you for adding to the great vibe we have going on here! smile

Danielle
Prime Time TV

Moderated by  Maria - Prime Time TV 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.