Page 1 of 2 1 2
#342103 09/19/07 11:19 AM
N
nadaurz Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
N
I have been reading the posts here and find many of the concepts of Buddhism to be similar to my personal beliefs by which I live. I was raised in a non-practicing christian home and have taken college courses on organized religion. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on perception), this has only enforced my disbelief, especially in the church and bible of the christian religion. Anyways, what I'm asking is does anyone have suggestions on how I should go about exploring Buddhism, beginning with the basics. I would like to research this more, starting as though I was a child with no concept of the bigger world around them. Everything I've learned as yet leaves me feeling as though I stepped into something already in progress. I am seeking a foundation to build upon as I don't believe anything can survive without it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sue

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
nadaurz, I too came from a home where there were no real religious background. I had questions, my dad was an atheist, my biological mom was too high or drunk to care, so dad sent me to the church of the lady I babysat for at the age of 12. Within 1 year, I was banned from sunday school for asking "questions a child shouldn't ask". I was only permitted to go to the church services held for the kids in the children's church. With in a few months, I was kicked out of there for asking questions I shouldn't be asking. Thus I was cast off into the adult sancutary. Can't ask questions there. But I did. The pastor called my father and told him I was to either keep my mouth shut at church or not come back at all. I never went back. When I was about 17 I discovered Paganism by accident. Had a test of faith as I like to call it at 21 and wento back to church, this time a Protestant one. Again I asked questions that either baffled the pastor or he just couldn't answer. I knew I was not where I was supposed to be. About 5 years ago when my relationship with my sons father started turning abusive I discovered Buddhism. During my healing from the abuse, Buddhism has taught me so much. Especially how to deal with the anger I had at the world. I started by reading anything I could get my hands on. There is another thread here in the forum that has people's suggestions for beginner's reading. As I stated in that topic, I really like the Complete Idiot's Guide to Buddhism and Buddhism for Dummy's series. Some people may dis agree with me but reading those to books, I found myself saying "AH HA! I get it now". Also don't hesitate to ask questions! Alexandra, myself, and some others that lurk here do have good ansers and places to guide you. Check out the front page of the Buddhism site for links to other sites that may explain things further.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Zebra
Zebra
Sue - and jeanette - could i also humbly invite you both to visit another forum I frequent (and on which i am a Moderator - but I haven't had anything to do there for ages!!
You are both more than welcome to visit, and in a completely non-comittal, unpressured way, Sue, ask as many questions, and seek as many answers as you want. I guarantee that, being the motley crew we are, you'll get lots of different points of View, and opinions, but none so different that they'll confuse you... they'll be more like the different facets of a diamond - each one adding to the sparkle of the whole, but never removed from it as a whole....
There are different areas for Buddhism and Judaism, Buddhism and Islam, Buddhism and Paganism, and of course, Buddhism and Christianity... a forum for the "novice" enquirer, a news and snippets forum, and always, but always diverse and lively discussions...!
Nobody will ever try to co-erce, convince or convert you. Everything you think, say, do and follow through with, is entirely your choice. we'll all try to just give you some solid groundwork to reflect upon, but whatever you decide, you'll always be welcome.

www.newbuddhist.com

And if you have any definitive questions you'd like to put to us here, we'll always do our best to pass on to you what we have learnt and accepted for ourselves.
At the risk of repeating myself, Whatever we say to you will be in honesty and sincerity and the best intention, but as ever, we never expect you to take our word for it. Feel free to check and double-check, and find other opinions, views and sources. The buddha himself instructed his followers thus, and set his teachings as first things to examine. Only when something sits well with you, should you then accept it.
Living by it is the tricky part....!! laugh

Zebra
Zebra
Originally Posted By: nadaurz
Everything I've learned as yet leaves me feeling as though I stepped into something already in progress. Sue

Loved this.
it sums up exactly how I felt when Buddhism gently tapped upon my head with a two-ton demolition ball....
"Already in progress".....I'd agree with that. Especially as I really do firmly ascribe to the ideology of re-birth, and that I - and you - have been here before....
And as Buddhism has been gracing this planet for a little over 2 and a half thousand years, trust me. It has been well long in progress, and I hope you enjoy exploring it.
With much metta.

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Alexandra, why promote another forum in Bella. That is unethical.

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Jeanette,

When I began reading about Buddhism, I also did the same. Read something very basic including stories about Buddha. I am not practicing any rituals but the love and compassion makes me get attracted to Buddhism.

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Alexandra, I have recd few PMs about different forums. They all requested me to join them. I reported about these PMs to Lisa.

I can not go to a shop, work there and promote another shop while on work. I consider that immoral and unethical.

Koala
Koala
Originally Posted By: Manjari
Alexandra, why promote another forum in Bella. That is unethical.

I think she was helping a new friend find info....not promoting. Bella is a great forum but there are many other places to get new or more info with a new view or prospective. I dont think that is uneithical at all. I call it helpful and friendly!!!

Now we have had people try to convents others that they have a better site and they should leave bella and go to it but they dont last long....there are what we call spam and the Mods eat them and vomit later.... yuck!

smile

N
nadaurz Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
N
Manjari-Alexandra was only answering my request for where to find information on Buddhism and if she was out of line, it is Jeanette's place to tell her, not you. She was in no way meaning any disrespect or trying to get me away from Bella. It was in addition to Bella, and by the way, it's a nice site. Give Alexandra a break. She's not as bad as you think. No matter what she says, you guys jump on her. It's time to put the past behind and all get along. I hope this doesn't offend you, Manjari. I've always considered you a friend. Sue

D
das Offline
Gecko
Gecko
D
It surely hurts Bellaonline if members are asked to go to other websites. They may not comeback here. Any intelligent person can always google for info. Why post it?

Bellaonline is free for use, but costs to run and money comes with higher memberships. I think that the owner of Bella will agree with me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.