Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#342514 09/20/07 05:34 PM
M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
I haven't seen any workers here since the bathroom was finished 3 weeks ago (but I really love my new bathroom). I've been doing little bits on my own, but haven't really seemed to get anywhere. My painting is on hold because I have a bunch of furniture in my livingroom in preparation for the new floor doing down in the diningroom and sunroom so I can't move anything to finish painting the last little bit of the livingroom. Tomorrow I'm going to paint the diningroom ceiling though, so that room will be finished except for the floor.

The back porch is on hold because there are a few boards left to remove, but they are out of reach & since they are over the stairs, I haven't figured out how to get to them. I think I need one of those ladders that can be put up several ways. Most of the cracks have been filled and I will sand & paint the walls and ceiling once I get the last little bit done.

Then I started peeling the wallpaper off the stairway going upstairs. I wish I knew how to repair the wall, as the wallpaper was covering up a pretty nasty looking wall. Its a lath & plaster wall and there are pieces of loose plaster in several spots. No wonder the wallpaper was peeling off by itself.

Its too bad I have to work full-time in order to survive (I kind of like eating & stuff like that), because I'd love to be able to spend more time getting these things done.

Mavis
Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
Although all the paper isn't off yet (there were 2 layers), here is where most of the damaged wall is along the steps. Its hard to see here, but especially on the lowest step shown, the wall has bulged out about 1n inch or so. I guess I'll have to just rip that part of the plaster out.

Mavis
Koala
Koala
Sounds like you are getting close to finishing a few things.

Living with old house plaster

I found this article about plaster and it was interesting, maybe it will be of use to you.

Last edited by conniem; 09/21/07 06:34 AM.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
Thanks Connie.
That was a very interesting article.

Mavis
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Hey Mavis, how's it going with that stairwell? That was a pretty informative article Connie shared. I'm only familiar with drywall - plaster is over my head.

Did you ever get your dining room ceiling painted?

Donna smile

Donna Coogan, C.I.D.

M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
I haven't got any further on the stairway yet because the weather has been good on my days off work, so I've been getting the yard in shape. I did get the ceiling painted though, so whenever my guys want to show up to fix my floors would be great.

Mavis
Koala
Koala
What is going on with you Mavis? We worked in the yard yesterday as it was so windy that we couldn't paint (we are still working on that garage). It sure is nice to have all those flowers and ect but when it is time for it to be gone, it is time!

~anonymous~
M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
Nothing has really happened here. I have also been doing yard work and there is still lots to do. I've taken some of the loose plaster off the wall on the stairway, but its been kind of a "when I pass by grab a piece" sort of job lately. Once I see how much I actually have to replace, I'll get some drywall to cover it. That article you sent on walls, sure gave me direction on that and the piece I have to replace shouldn't be any larger than 2' x 3' or maybe just a couple of smaller pieces.

I don't know if the exterior painting will be done or not since they haven't shown up to get started. I know we'll still have some nice days left this year, but its getting pretty late to paint.

Mavis
M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
I guess I spoke too soon this morning. The painters showed up while I was at work today. It looks like the whole house has been scraped and is now ready for painting. Hopefully they will do that tomorrow as it is supposed to be a perfect day for painting. The rain is supposed to start on Friday and may last for several days.

Mavis
Koala
Koala
I hope your painting goes well. I didn't get to paint yesterday as it was overcast/sprinkly. I do have one end of my garage done and another one almost done. I had used the last of a paint can and hated to open another one to paint for maybe an hour. And anyway the siding salesman showed up to inspect the house. I think today will be more conducive to painting and I hope to have all but one side done today.

~anonymous~
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.