Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#337501 08/31/07 11:24 AM
R
OP Offline
R
.....is a myth perpetrated on the unwary public by advertisers and by the people who fell for the myth, realize the mistake and are now compelled to justify the choice. crazy

Have you ever wanted a thing so bad you could taste it and after having it find that it is not all what it was promised to be? sick

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
yeah, you've got to be careful what you wish for!

Save your own life - don't have kids!
F
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
F
It is usually best not to rush into things for that reason. Wait. Think things through.

Parakeet
Parakeet
People don't think -- that is the problem with many people who have kids who end up regretting their decision. Children can't be returned to the store.

K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
Agreed! I still encounter people who have kids and obviously can't stand them but they ask us when we're going to "start the family". I never thought about it as if they were trying to justify their own actions - good point!

Katie
Parakeet
Parakeet
I still think that it is the "misery loves company" syndrome. Maybe if you have kids, yours will turn out better. If they don't, well, then they needed someone to commiserate with to share the suffering.

Where else do you encounter customers who truly hate a product, but they keep telling others who are not users of that product "Please use this product. I beg of you, please go out and buy this product? You WILL enjoy it! You have to! I was promised that I would like it, but it didn't work out, so I am making that same promise to you... you might like it!"

Ok -- some religious people do that as well. As has been pointed out by me before, the two (religious evangelizing and child evangelizing) do share many characteristics.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
If you paid for the product, though, you can get your money back. These "the best things in life are free" items can't be returned.

K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
I was at a girls night out with about 15 of my friends this week and the topic of kids came up - as usual - because everyone except for a select few of us have at least 2-3. One girl (who's quite liberal in most of her beliefs) says, "You just got done telling me how tired you are all of the time of the whining, crying and messes you have to clean up! Why on EARTH would I want to be a mom?" And another friend came back with, "Why did you want to be a teacher? Don't you have days where your kids annoy you to death? But you still enjoy teaching as a whole, don't you?"

This perspective is one I had never considered before. She was coming from the standpoint that we all have things we're passionate about or things we really want. Whether it be taking care of a family or a doing our chosen career, some days are worse than others. I guess my point is that it cemented for me the fact that having children is not something I have EVER been passionate about or something I yearn for with great desire. But when we compare my friends complaints about their kids to my complaints about my job, they are very similar in nature. I obviously am not selling anyone on my profession by complaining as they are not with theirs (at least with me).

Katie
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Very good point, Katie. I was just thinking about this today. Just b/c parents complain doesn't mean they don't like being parents overall. I just know I would hate it, and the positives parents speak of just don't appeal to me. My bad days at work, though, end at 5 p.m. I don't have to continue to make dinner and bathe someone that has been mouthing off to me all day long. And, if my job gets to be too much, I can get another one.

Another thing no one seems to talk about is how our life interests change. I can only speak for myself, but I know that if I got married in my early 20s I would have picked someone very different than my fiance. I also changed my major several times. I wonder if this happens with parents, too? They want kids, and they do it for six years, of whatever, and want to do something else, but they can't? I know that I like short-term projects in work and life - there has to be an end in sight. I like to check it off the list that it is done. You are never done when you are a parent. You could argue that the deliverables change in the parenthood project, so that someone doesn't get bored. But what if they do? And they tire of it?

Originally Posted By: Kt-n-Luke
Agreed! I still encounter people who have kids and obviously can't stand them but they ask us when we're going to "start the family".

YUP!... and those women are now posting in:

www.truemomconfessions.com grin

Greetings from beautiful New York!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.