logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hello List
I have been doing low carb since Mother's Day and have lost 50 lbs. smile

I recently tried to "boost" my metabolizm by eating several small meals a day; that didn't work as I wanted to eat all night. What was working for me was eating when I get hungry but now I still want to eat all evening. Last night, I took Tessa, my dog, for a walk because I knew if I didn't get up and do SOMETHING, my thoughts would go to EATING...

What seems to have done it for me was WALKING! I was 275 and just eating low carb was working, but when I started walking 2 miles a day was what really got my Metabolizm going! I do 3.5 at least once on the weekend.

I'm not really into supplements but is there any of them that work?

Any other suggestions besides chaining up the kitchen?

Go Greene County Tigers!
GA
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
There is an excellent book that I read and reviewed while I was writing for the Body IMage section here at BellaOnline. It is called Runaway Eating. It for people with an eating disorder called Binge Disorder but anyone like you could benefit from it. I too used to suffer from binge disorder and i used to eat even when I wasn't hungry. Since reading the book and, like you going low carb, I have lost about 30 pounds in almost 2 years. I was recently diagnosed with several health problems which explained some of my problems in losing weight. I am also drinking lots of water and green tea. Water can help you feel full without calories and fat and carbs. I may have an extra copy of the book that I could send to you. When I did a TV interview about the book and the eating disorder, the publisher sent me extra copies and I don't think I gave them all away.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
OP Offline
Well, Jeanette, Free is My Favorite Word!

I will send you a private message with my addy.

I drink lots of water and could probably drink more. I use Diet Ginger Ale when I tire of water.

Go Greene County Tigers!
GA
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I'm an emotional eater, and I'm always thinking of what to eat next.and like many others i eat when i'm not hungry, i think it just gives me something to do. i spend a lot of time alone and due to emotional issues i don't leave my house. if a friend comes by for an hour or two my hunger goes away,& the only time i don't think of food, and there is no hunger,

Rosie L
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Well sky, looks like you answered half of your problem - occupied = no eating. Since you are in solitude a lot, there are hobbies you can pick up. If you feel like eating, get some sugar free gum. It will give you something to chew on and also did youknow chewing starts the metabolism process? You can trick your body into thinking you are eating. I keep lots of celery, baby carrots, cucumbers, even fruits like watermelon. These things are high in water content so you will get full from the vegies and the water. It is so so so hard to change eating habits! I have been there and still struggle with it. I went through depression off and on since I was a child and my refuge was a good book and food. In the past 5 or 6 years, I have gradually changed myself. Gradual is better then crach course because you are more apt to stick with it if you to slow changes. My weight loss has been slow but at least I am doing it. Now I have been diagnosed with medical problems that have forced me to change eating habits or I am going to end up killing myself before the age of 40. I highly recommend Runaway Eating to everyone.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
thank Jeanette, and good luck, with your weight lost, stay healthy

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I definitely find that drinking water helps a LOT. It's really important for general health, to keep water flushing through your system, and it helps you feel full.

Also, it makes a big difference what you are eating. If you eat sugary things, it gives you that sugar high - and then your blood sugar plummets after that and you get hungry again. It's why when you eat Chinese food you are hungry 1/2 hr later. Chinese food in US restaurants is full of sugary sauces.

So if instead you eat foods that don't have that sugar-attack on your blood, you really don't get hungry again quickly. Eat foods that are high in fiber. They fill your stomach for a long time, and fiber is really good for you. Eat foods that don't have sugar - grilled chicken, tuna fish, that sort of thing.

But yes, there's the whole other aspect of "eating for comfort" - when you're not really hungry, but you want to eat anyway. It's a mouth soothing thing, sort of like people who smoke and want something in their mouth. Maybe try sugar-free things you suck on? That will help to wean you off the mouth feel issues without adding weight ...

Also, if you are busy, you don't tend to think about things you want to do. So get a new hobby that involves activity - take up knitting, tatting, sewing etc. We have editors here who can teach you how to do all those things from scratch. Write a short story. Read a book. You want to do something other than watching TV, because that is too "passive" and lets your mind wander to food thoughts.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.