Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Hi everyone,

I've posted the first of a series of articles on Adults with Learning Disabilities -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Here are more articles in the series - I'm glad to say my email response has been good. Ocassionally I'll add more to the list.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Yes Susan - I have a question. I am annoyed when I see governments letting down these patient citizens, some of whom are living on the breadline as they are being discriminated against and denied work. I would be heartened to know of schemes to help those who are able into work.

Surely it is a government's duty of care to enable this?

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Siobhain,

The sheltered workshop program in the UK is one opportunity for adults with severe disabilities to work and feel useful. Here is their directory:

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Thank you Susan - I will follow this up tomorrow.

I've seen handicapped individuals working at McDonald's - that is pretty mainstream.

Susan

Susan Kramer, Learning Disabilities Editor

Ebook Manager
ebooks at bellaonline dot com
Learning Disabilities site
Learning Disabilities forum
My instructional texts
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I know people pick on WalMart but I'm actually really happy when I go in there and see people with disabilities happy and having a job and interacting with others. I'm not sure if many other companies would have hired them, or if they would have a relatively happy working environment.

I'm not saying working at WalMart is an awesome job necessarily - but I can think of many that are far worse!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Lisa, thanks for sharing. It is encouraging to see people with limitations working regular jobs. Here in The Netherlands a couple of disabled people stock shelves and price items in our local food market. Everyone smiles at them and accepts their contribution to society.

Ebook Manager
ebooks at bellaonline dot com
Learning Disabilities site
Learning Disabilities forum
My instructional texts
B
B
My son has mmr mild mental retardation he graduated highschool having been in special needs classes he has had life skills training in school however it was very limited I would like to create workbooks for him that we can do together regarding cooking cleaning managing money nutrition/fitness and whatever possible in preparing him to become more independent we've tried a school for handicapped but it didnt work out he was very unhappy there I will take care of him until whenever but I won't always be around I want him to be able to take responsibility for himself in every way he should adapt to situations in ways that others cant I'm sure there is a world of information here on the internet so that's where I decided to start while I plan how to do this can you give me any advice on how to get started or if there is a better approach?

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Bigmomma, welcome to the forum.

Preparing your son to live with someone other than you in the future is very realistic. Hopefully he'll be able to live in a group home before you're gone so you can visit and talk with him about the transition.

If he likes books and reads, than your workbook idea sounds great, but as with everyone it is putting what's on paper into practice - again and again and again - that makes choices 2nd nature.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Celestine - Learning Dis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.