logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
KerryAnne, I am very happy that what I have said has not offended you, or caused you grieviance.
This is similar to what i have tried to outline to others, which is what led to them ignoring me, I believe. This is conjecture on my part, because as I have said, nobody has offered any explanation as why they have chosen to not communicate with me. So this is all I can say on the matter, really!

The really difficult part about the things I have discussed with you, is of course, putting them into practise, because it involves literally, "Changing our Minds"! We really do have to steadily work to transform our current way of thinking, and replace non-skillful means, with more skillful means.
The most important thing is to give yourself time, and to not persecute or blame yourself (again, the 'You' is the general sense) if you occasionally fail. Which to begin with, will be frequent! And that is all right. But if you are conscious of the changes you are making an effort to bring to fruit, that is a good sign. if you sometimes say to yourself "No, stop. That is not the right attitude. Don't think this about yourself" it is a healthy sign that you are putting it into practise.
The key is to be mindful, to be aware. To remain attentive and skillfully make the changes, but gradually and to be gentle with yourself. It is like being born again. it is like seeing the world in a new way, from a different perspective.
This Loving-kindness we nourish and develop for ourselves, then naturally grows to embrace all other beings. When we feel such Love, Compassion and Acceptance for ourselves, how can it not grow to include all others?

"Things are not what they seem.... Nor are they otherwise...." (Lankavatara Sutta)

"The purpose of Life is simply, to be happy, and to make others happy." HH the Dalai Lama.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Wolf
Wolf
Alexandra,

I know that you will never accept that you are posting as Mettamaid.
I am ignoring your posts in the name of Mettamaid.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
CDmohatta, of course, that is your choice and decision. if this is your wish, then I cannot say anything that will otherwise convince you.

I will not be here for a very long time anyway.
I am travelling to Nepal soon, and hope to be taking up a position with an order of Nuns at the Taraloka Centre.

It will be difficult to leave my many friends here in England, and to not be able to communicate with you or others here.
I have learnt much, and will be leaving with a glad and happy heart that at least, our lives have touched.

With metta.

Last edited by MettaMaid; 08/03/07 04:11 AM.

"Things are not what they seem.... Nor are they otherwise...." (Lankavatara Sutta)

"The purpose of Life is simply, to be happy, and to make others happy." HH the Dalai Lama.

A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
I've been silently observing the remarks on here for the last couple of days, and frankly I'm fed up to the teeth.

I don't give a toss who is posting under what name. I am only interested in learning and growing, and not in petty nonsense.

This forum is supposed to be about Self Development. Not about picking on others.

I'm out of here!

Af.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I am so sorry this has caused discontent and upset. I would not have been the origin of unhappiness in anyone.
I am so sorry to see how upset you are Af and I hope you will forgive my part in this.
I have only been trying to participate with everyone in the spirit of wholeness and Love, and deeply regret if it has caused you pain.

With Metta.

A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
You are not the origin - IMHO. You are the one being picked on unfairly.

Don't feel responsible MettaMaid. It's OK.

AF.

A
Shark
Shark
A
I agree!

I don't know, but this is beginning to sound like a vendetta against MettaMaid.

I think these negative comments should stop NOW!

I said once before that we should be kind. It's fine to talk about how to improve ourselves, but it means nothing if we don't show compassion to others on this forum.

Kerryanne.

H
Koala
Koala
H
I am sorry for my part in it. Sometimes i try something that i think actually will help, and only after discover it is not the right thing to do at all.

I am sorry, MettaMaid, for several of my remarks in the other thread.

H
Koala
Koala
H
Originally Posted By: anndidetal
Ah, dear Holly, I don't know where to begin!

What do I want?

Well,I'd like to be able to react in an adult way, emotionally,to stress, grief and the fears that often plague me.

Often, my reactions are those of a much younger child than 16. I've never talked about this before - to anyone! - so it is rather difficult to put into words.

For example, last night one of my dogs was in pain (I took him to the vet this morning and he has sprained his cruciate ligament in his leg.) I went into an anxiety attack and all the fears which might have been found in a 5yr old child were there - as they always are when I am stressed, worried or fear loss. I was beside myself because I didn't know what was causing him to be in so much pain. I desperately wanted to talk to someone - for comfort, but there is no one.

I lose friends because I am clingy and dependant and I really do behave like a small, frightened child who fears loss or abandonment. I seem to have no control over this.

In intimate relationships, I am idealistic, like a teenager. I am not adult and it is very obvious to those concerned. I have been told that I don't want a lover. I want a mother!

Mentally, I react in a mature manner when there is trauma or strife, such as attending the injured at the scene of an accident, or taking the initiative to put out a fire if it starts. (always the one with a clear head who does what is necessary) - but in personal matters, my emotions take over from my mind and I am a mess. What is personal always brings a terribly immature response, tears, panic, fear of what the future holds, like a child orphaned and alone and terrified.
I was always afraid to be away from my parents, up until I was 18. I could not relate to males, and still fear men I do not know well. I was afraid of people my own age and became a loner very early in the piece. I never had a best friend until I was over 40, and even then she was someone 14 years my senior and I did not let her get to know me well. She only saw what I wanted her to see. She was the only close friend I ever had, and she died in 1996.

I never had a boyfriend. Never went out with a boy, and never knew what it was to have school friends.

Because as a child I spent a great deal of time 'splitting off' I had a lot of blank spots in my memory. This often drove people up the wall.

So I did not go through the normal 'mile stones' of childhood which are necessary for a child to experience in their develoment, not as a child, and not as a teen, so I did not have these as an adult. One cannot go back and experience them. If you didn't go through those stages, you miss them. No one can run before they have first learned to stand up, balance, and walk.

I have always been aware of this, but it is now that I feel the full impact of it. When I was younger, I just kept on hoping that things would get better, which of course they did not. So mentally, intellectually, I matured normally, but emotionally I was arrested in my development and none of my experiences changed that. Perhaps if I'd received help when I was still pre-adolescent, it might have changed everything. But there was no help. By the time I was 18, I was suffering the consequences of retarded emotional develoment to such an extent that it only compounded the damage, and I suspect I arrested again. It was like the rolling stone effect - it kept on going and got worse with the on going years.

How do you go back and relive your childhood and adolescence? How to experience all the things that just weren't there! That's what I'd have to do! How do I now experience being a normal child and teen? I wish, oh I wish I could! All those experiences I never knew and cannot know now because the time for them is passed and gone.

I have often looked at others who were badly abused and who are DID/MPD and see them married with children, and I wonder why it didn't happen for me. My life was not worse than theirs. But now that I have this information, I think I understand why.

I developed other areas of my brain to compensate, and that is good, but my emotional develoment remains an embarrassment and a great impediment in my interpersonal relationships, so that in truth, I don't have any! None have lasted. So of course, now, I protect myself from further grief, and I don't get close to people.

That is about the best way I can explain it. And it is a relief to be able to finally admit, at least on the forum, what my major problem is. It is a load off my chest, so to speak.

All I want from life now, is to be able to love without being rejected, and to remain in reasonable health so I can give my dogs a full and happy life. (My dogs are all I have) I have never really asked for more than to love and be loved. Then it became just to love, with no expectations of being loved and accepted as I am, because I've found that people don't seem to be able to do this. (love me as I am) It is so painful to see those you love turn from you in disgust, and tell you that they want an adult for a friend, not a child.

I wish I could be an adult in my emotions. I wish I could lose my insecurity and terror at the thought of pain and loss. I wish I didn't feel like a frightened child who is all alone in a cruel world. (Imagine how a small child would feel to be lost, alone, and having to face life and its responsibilities!)

Anyway, that is some of my story. There are things that a mature mind cannot do for you. You also need emotional maturity. That is at the centre of your being.

Please forgive this long epistle?

Kerryanne.

I'm glad you took a chance and shared this with us. That's really a great start! smile

Sometimes i think, particularly in America, we know too much about our psychology. We've got all these explanations of why we are the way we are. I have them, too. But sometimes i wonder if "explanations" don't keep us in place, a sort of self-fulfilling prophesy that is sometimes only true because we believe it. And sometimes i wonder, how much do those explanations really matter so much anyway?

We all have problems. Yours are particular to your experiences, but the frustrations you are having and the things you wish to change about your relationships really aren't that unusual. I think somewhere along the line you got it in your head that everything about you that is different is somehow abnormal and unacceptable. It isn't. It only matters when there is something you would like to change, and then you just take one step at a time to change it and do your best. You are not set in stone. You can take yourself in the direction you wish to go.

There are many people who go through life alone and without romantic relationships for various reasons. I know several adults over 40 who are virgins, for example. Some people are shy, some like you, were abused. I know several people who have "childish reactions," ...it doesn't make them bad people! I was having panic attacks often... but i learned some skills to manage that kind of fear and it's so much better now. You can learn those skills, too. But even if you never do... it's not like you're walking around with long green horns, spots all over your face, and a tail! There is such variety in human beings and you fit in more than i think you realize. I think you just have a strong expectation that you will be rejected always. Tomorrow night i'm going out to the movies with two friends, one of whom is D.I.D., Ptsd, OCD, etc.... what he calls, "A.F.U." laugh i see him at least twice a week and he has other friends, too...so you see, you don't have a death sentence on relationships. Not all relationships work out. That's true of all of us. Every single human being. Just ask married people how many of them married the first person they dated. Not many. What happened to the other relationships? Down the tubes. Some of us have a few friendships for life, but probably all of us have relationships that don't last. You got very hurt when you lost a close relationship. That is unfortunate. But several of us here at Bella are trying to learn how not to hurt so much from the past and how to enjoy more of the better parts of life. We can help eachother learn how to deal with some of these relationship situations.

As for your being told you act like a child... most people say hurtful things when a relationship goes sour, it doesn't mean it's all true or should be taken to heart. Sometimes there is a grain of truth and that's the part that hurts so much... but they are just angry and they are trying to detatch, and in a year, even they won't believe all they said.

There isn't a person on the face of the earth that doesn't have faults. Look at me, for instance... i just stuck my foot in my mouth with someone... you saw it. So... i try to learn from it and move on. But that's it. It would not be helpful for me to think i will always make the same mistakes because of my past, you see?

I think it would help if for a little while you stop explaining why you are as you are (to yourself, particularly), as if it's an apology or like you are somehow broken. DID, history, how your brain appears on a catscan... it isn't the whole of who you are as a person and none of it dictates who you will be tomorrow. I think you need to let go of that so that you can have some breathing room to pursue whatever it is you would like to pursue. What would life be like for you if for one day, you couldn't explain ANYTHING to yourself in terms of the past or a medical condition? You have told me you've learned to accept yourself... well... this is it, right? This is the front line of the battlefield. If you accept yourself it doesn't matter what catscans say or what a past friend said when they were angry, etc.... the thing that matters is now, and what you would like to do, and it is still possible to do what you would like with a fresh start.

Each thing you mentioned... the panic attacks... clinging... inexperience in relationships... etc., these are all things you can learn to handle. That's really what the rest of us are doing here, too. I'm trying to learn more confidence and how to feel more secure... that's related to clinging, don't you think? Panic attacks... that really is a skill set... i got a recorded program to learn the skills, there are also books about skills to handle panic and anxiety. It actually isn't that hard, and you can see improvement in a few months or less. Relationships... you just took a big step right here... by opening up. smile Opening up... revealing yourself... took courage and a bit of accepting yourself, too! Bravo! smile

Wolf
Wolf
Despite what everyone says and despite the knowledge that I may be called a trouble maker i am being targeted here.

Why did no one believe me when I said that Mettamaid is Alexandra?
Most of you believed what she said and I know she is acting.
I am sorry. I thought that I had friends here who believed in me. Now I feel sad that the truth was different.

I will not post anymore in self development and inspiration threads again.
If I am not believed then why should I suggest or post?

And yes, it does matter to me if somebody lies.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.