Print Thread
#310832 05/02/07 03:46 PM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Giving birth by caesarean increases placenta-related risks
The London News.Net
Wednesday 2nd May, 2007 (ANI)

London, May 2 : The findings of a new study suggest that women who give birth to their first child by caesarean are more likely to have placenta-related problems during their following pregnancies.

Researchers analysing data from the US National Centre for Health Statistics between 1995 and 2000 have found that the risk of a placenta attaching low down in the womb, or rupturing increases by almost 50 percent during the second pregnancy for such women.

The researchers now insist that women who are considering giving birth by elective caesarean should be informed of the risks, both of which cause bleeding during pregnancy.

Study leader Dr Qiuying Yang, from the University of Ottawa, said the study, which involved data from 5 million pregnancies, was the largest to have been conducted so far.

Dr Yang added that the study was important as it showed the link between caesareans and subsequent pregnancy complications.

Studying the findings the researchers found that women who delivered their first babies though caesarean faced a 47 percent higher risk of placental praevia in their second pregnancy when compared to women who gave birth naturally.

Placental praevia is a condition where the placenta attaches over or near the internal opening of the cervix.

They also noted that these women also faced a 40 percent higher risk of placenta abruption, a condition where the placenta separates from the womb prematurely.

"More than 1% of pregnancies with a prior caesarean section had one of these events, which had a 50% increase compared to women without previous caesarean section," the BBC quoted Dr Yang, as saying.

"This has important implications on the management of these pregnancies. It also introduces new and important evidence in the debate on the risks of caesarean sections 'on demand,'" he added.

The researchers said scarring inside the womb caused by caesareans may affect the attachment of the placenta in future pregnancies.

Professor Philip Steer, BJOG editor-in-chief, insisted that the study showed the need for doctors to inform women of the possible risks of giving birth by caesarean.

"Women need to be informed of the possible risks that can happen throughout the pregnancy and it is important to have their scheduled ultrasound scans to detect if the baby is developing safely. Should a woman encounter unusual bleeding during her pregnancy, it is best if she sees the doctor immediately," he said.

The findings are reported in BCOG, an international journal of obstetrics and gynaecology

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
Yeap, I read this earlier. It is good that we are getting more and more information, so we can make knowledgeable decisions.but when we must undergo cesarean because of certain health risks??? frown

Jeanette,

What a great post. It's so true that women today need to be as informed as they can be and being well informed, prepared and organized is so important for a positive birth experience, whether it be a vaginal birth or c-section.

However, when it comes to having a c-section, it's not one size fits all and the statistics don't apply to everyone. I've seen c-sections that were not necessary yet there were many of them that saved lives.

The best thing a mom can do is review the facts, stay informed, be prepared and follow her instincts. I happen to believe that any birth that puts a healthy baby in the arms of its mother is a good one.

C
Amoeba
Amoeba
C
I had my first child 10 years ago via C-section. It was an emergency, he got stuck in the birth canal and wouldn't come out. My second child (7 yrs.) was natural. Then my last two were C-section because the third childs (1 and 1/2 Yr.) heart rate was too high and she was too high up and wouldn't come down. The last child was C-section because of Preeclampsia and because I had a C-section prior. If you had two C-sections insurance companies wont allow for vaginal after the second. Anyway, my point is that I had no problems with my placenta due to having my first child via C-section. I guess I am just a lucky one.

Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.