Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
Originally Posted By: kristen houghton
I married my husband for who he is; his intelligence and his great sense of humor. We were babies in college when we married so there has been growth separately and together.

I've also learned from him and I believe he has learned from me.

Would I change anything about him? Sometimes he's too practical but then I can be an impractical dreamer so we balance out quite well!

Don't you guys ever had 2 different solutions to a problem. What you both do normally in this situation?

LD
Nursing Job
(Looking for Nursery Job in UK?)
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
You use the words control and force way too much for my liking.
In my marriage, and in all marriages I know, we are equal partners. NO ONE controls or forces the other. That, my friend, can constitute abuse.

And excuse me, but you are not your wife's father. She, I assume is an adult woman, capable of making adult decisions.

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
R
Amoeba
Amoeba
R
My husband and I always talk about this topic, because we think we are a pretty atypical marriage. The successes of shows like 'King of Queens', 'Home Improvement', and movies like 'Knocked Up' really shows me that this must be the American Standard of marriage: Woman settles for man who's 'not that bad' and has 'some potential', and then spends the rest of her marriage trying to mold him into her ideal of a perfect husband; OR eventually accepts him how he is and becomes the only mature one in the relationship.

I just don't understand that. I mean, all these women get so frustrated with their husbands when they act like themselves. I mean, I doubt men become less mature as they age(most times...) so it's not like they didn't have fair warning!

My husband and I have changed a lot since we married, but not much on the inside. I've lost weight and dress less like a schlub and wear jewelry, he cut his hair and grew a beard and wears more than just black or white. We've influenced each other in positive ways, and we make acceptable changes because it makes the other person happy, and makes us happy to do that for them. But he hasn't suddenly stopped reading comics, and I would never expect it. I mean, when I saw his shelves and shelves full of comic books, not once did I think, "Ah, but when we marry, he'll start reading the Wall Street Journal." No, I married a comic geek with my eyes wide open, and it wasn't something I thought needed changing! And he's brought out my inner geek too, by the way.

So no, I wouldn't marry Marilyn Manson and expect him to become Ward Cleaver, for pete's sake!

Parakeet
Parakeet
I'm eventually going to marry that geeky pack rat of mine, quirks and all. I knows he's not likely to ever stop leaving his dirty socks under the coffee table or trying to turn our home into a rescue house for old computer equipment. I know these little things are going to be driving me crazy for decades to come, but I'm going to marry him anyway. I'm never going to force him to be different.

A little frustration is much more tolerable than living with a man who isn't free to be himself.

He's the most annoying man on the planet some days, but even the annoying aspects are part of what makes him the man he is. I chose the whole package.
(And I'm prepared to live with the consequences of that decision!)

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
Parakeet
Parakeet
Rogue, I agree that way too many women marry men they somehow want to change. Rarely does that work. I get letters from women who ask me how they can "make" their husbands change!

Kat, I don't think it is an adapt and compromise situation in my marriage. We're both individuals and have come to appreciate the talents, interests, and character of the other person. He's introduced me to the fun of baseball and I've given him the joy of opera-we balance nicely. We're both professionals and also share a love of many similar interests.Those two aspects are a plus.

One thing I might change? He's a neat-freak but that does have its benefits so I'll leave it alone!

Marilyn Manson never appealed to me-too, too weird!

Last edited by kristen houghton; 07/17/07 03:51 PM.

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Shark
Shark
Kristen, I suspect Ganesh's culture may be different than ours.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Very true but I still find the archaic attitude of the husband steping into the role of "father" annoying. Many cultures have the bride go from her father's house to her husband's where she lives under their rules. That puts the wife on the level of a child and not an equal adult.

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Shark
Shark
It's archaic to you only because our own society has left that behind as the common way of things. I imagine we might both feel differently on this if we were in a culture that still promotes male dominance in the home.

I made the choice to be in a household where my husband is the head. I like having this as a choice not as something forced onto me by society.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Brandy I must disagree. I couldn't ever not be an equal in my marriage nor could I ever be in a male-dominated religion.

My Dad and Step-Mom raised me to be independent and strong for myself. I love my husband but neither one of us is the head of the family. We are a strong partnership.

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Parakeet
Parakeet
I agree with you, Kristen.

In small ways, our relationship has traditional aspects, but the big picture is that WE are the head of the household and equal partners in our journey through life.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.