Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
L
Do not read this if you are planning on reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Harry dies and Hermione gets turned into Voldemort's personal house-elf. Ginny hooks up with Neville, and Luna hooks up with a Nargle, which turns out to be a shape-shifter.

Okay, that should take care of the people who like spoilers.

Why do my favorite stories keep doing this to me? Everyone has kids! Tonks and Lupin ... now, what was the point of that if JKR was just going to kill them off ... to make Harry the godfather so that he would take care of a child, right? WRONG! It seems like Harry never took care of Teddy.

And then Harry and Ginny get together - of course. But then they have three kids? And Ron and Hermione have two kids? And when, exactly, do we get to find out what kind of jobs these people have? I suppose that Ginny becomes a SAHM and looks down on Hermione for working at the Ministry or something. Because I don't think Hermione would give up her education to become a SAHM.

Of course, this is all purely speculation because we have no idea what they are like as adults. Considering that the epilogue centers around their children.

What a lousy epilogue, too. I didn't care anything about what was happening, and not because I'm CF. It didn't even seem like JKR even wrote that part herself!

I get that the kids are going off to school like their parents did, so it's kind of coming full circle.

But honestly, would Harry make the best parent? He was abused for 10 years of his life, he had no parental figures except Dumbledore (Sirius? BAH! He was never really "in" Harry's life.) I guess the Weasleys, but then that's kind of gross that he marries Ginny. I don't like her, anyway.

If we had to have an epilogue, couldn't it have been 10 years in the future instead of 19? Because then that would bring us up to present-day (Harry, Ron and Hermione were all born in 1980.)

I wonder if he still has his scar.

I did like that the Malfoys turned against Voldemort for the sake of their son. THAT I liked. Yes, Draco SHOULD come first before taking over the world.

I guess that's it.

Oh, and by the way, I KNEW Snape was on the good side. I can't wait until my husband gets to that part. He's on the couch reading it now. And that was just the point that I was saying to myself, well, I guess he really IS bad.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Shark
Shark
M
I'm with you. I loved the book until I read the epilogue and it just felt like a sell out. Nothing about the careers that they had or the lives that they live, just their kids. I was really disappointed.

L
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
L
A lot of people on different boards agree about the epilogue... surprise, surprise, my husband thought it was great, to show that "life goes on" and blah blah blah.

My ONLY friend who's finished so far agrees with me, though, that she would have liked to find out what their jobs were. We decided that Harry should have been the DADA professor, and Hermione should be minister or something, at the very least a professor. Ron, who knows?

Although, it would be pretty hard to be a professor at Hogwarts IF YOU'RE A PARENT! Maybe that's why Harry and Hermione aren't teachers.

I said maybe because they dropped out of school they are all living with the Weasley's, they've added additions to the Burrow because they have no money ... are there such things as wizarding GEDs?

But I guess everyone graduated that year, the war was their final exam or something.

Last edited by lngilbert; 07/22/07 09:58 PM.
Parakeet
Parakeet
I cannot escape. Harry Freakin' Potter Mania is everywhere. Even here. Come on, guys. Leave one Rowling -free place on the planet, please?? Cussing and throwing things is the next step...

Sorry, I'm just HP7 -ed out. I'm not a fan. I'm just a poor schmuck who works in a bookstore. This crazy weekend would make the sweetest bookseller cuss and throw things. I just needed to vent.

By the way, just to keep up with my customers, I went to a New Zealand website on release day to skim the spoilers (Friday was a day sooner for them).

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
I was so going to post this as soon as i read the epilogue on saturday morning. I always wanted Harry to have a family and kids because he missed out on all that and he really wanted one, if of course he lived. I figured those that went on to teach at Hogwarts would be CF so everything would balance out.

But....
I wanted to know what they did with their lives. 7 books describing their growth, intellegence, courage... I wanted to know what they did with all that after they finished school. What happened to George now that fred is gone, what about Luna, what jobs did harry, ron, hermione, and draco have?

The family part would have made a nice few paragraphs but what else.

So far all of my friends agree and I'm the only CF one so I don't think this is just an opinion of people who are planning on not having kids.

Shark
Shark
I agree- I liked that they carried on with family life but would really have liked to find out what *else*.

Although, if the author ever wants to start another series, she has the perfect "in" with that epilogue. The next generation of wizards, with the odd offhand reference to their parents and what they do...

"I may not agree with what's on your bumper sticker, but I will fight to the end for your right to stick it." --Unknown
Gecko
Gecko
Originally Posted By: myrabeth
I cannot escape. Harry Freakin' Potter Mania is everywhere. Even here. Come on, guys. Leave one Rowling -free place on the planet, please?? Cussing and throwing things is the next step...

Sorry, I'm just HP7 -ed out. I'm not a fan. I'm just a poor schmuck who works in a bookstore. This crazy weekend would make the sweetest bookseller cuss and throw things. I just needed to vent.

By the way, just to keep up with my customers, I went to a New Zealand website on release day to skim the spoilers (Friday was a day sooner for them).

I volunteered to help out my friend who runs a bookstore (I'm no HP fan either...it has never appealed to me). Never again. What is it about this book that brings out the total crazy in some people? And the parents who were there were encouraging their kids to be selfish (the bookstore had cupcakes, including "magic" cupcakes for prizes...and the parents encouraged their kids to eat 10 cupcakes or to take the wrappers off each one in search of the magic ones).

Gecko
Gecko
I don't get the Pottermania, either.

As long as we limit it strictly to labeled threads, though, I don't see the harm...they're easy to skip!

Meet CF couples and singles in your city!

Browse a list of CF Meetups on Meetup.com:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Parakeet
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: bonsai
I don't get the Pottermania, either.

As long as we limit it strictly to labeled threads, though, I don't see the harm...they're easy to skip!

Exactly....if you're not interested, you don't have to read the thread! I am a Harry Potter fan, and just finished the book. I agree the epilogue was kind of lame, and it would have been more interesting to find out about the careers of the characters, rather than how many kids they had and the kids' names. Oh well....

Cindy

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Cookiecody
it would have been more interesting to find out about the careers of the characters, rather than how many kids they had and the kids' names. Oh well....Cindy

Ick, sounds like the bible... blah blah blah beget Noah beget blah blah blah. So boring!

Save your own life - don't have kids!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.