logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
My ten year old is in his last year of cubs and will be attending sleep away scout camp (with boy scouts) in a few weeks. What can we do to help make this a successful trip for him?

Lorel

Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Shark
Shark
B
i would give him a few familiar items from home that he enjoys. Maybe even sneak in a letter into his suitcase so he can read it once he arrives at camp. How long is he gone for?

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Thanks, I will make sure to pack a little surprise. He'll be gone for a week, and this will be his first time away from me for more than a weekend.

Lorel

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I've been away for a while. Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond earlier. It's also been a while since I had kids go away for the first time.

Also, I'm a dad and we see things much different from moms. I think the first responder had a good suggestion. Try to encourage him and let him know that you have confidence in him. Encourage him to get into activities that he enjoys and to try and learn one or two new activities that he can come home and teach you about.

Good luck. This is a first step. And each time he takes that first step to face "the unknown" it will be easier for him to do the next time and he will be more confident in himself. I think this is one of the best things we learn in Scouts.

LML Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I just noticed this. My almost 10 yr old has now done his second week long sleep away camp. He never had any problems. Mostly, I think, because he was camping with all his best friends and has always been very independent. My almost 8 yr old is more wary of staying away from mom (even thought Dad and his brother were both there!) What I did for him was take his favorite stuffed animal and put it in the bottom of his sleeping bag before we rolled it up. That way when he got to camp he'd know it was there and feel comforted but no one else would see it (and possibly tease him). Maybe something like that would help? Let us know how he does.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Speaking as an ex-Cub Scout leader, I hate to tell you this, but once he gets to camp, your son will completely forget about you!!! smile

If he has any problems before going to camp, encourage him to tell you what the problems are, and work through them with him. Reassure him that he will know everybody there, and that it's going to be fun and he'll have a great time!

Camping is an important part of Scouting, and the kids learn so many different things. I know that the thing my boys found the most fun (apart from the camp that I fell into a creek, and emerged covered in weed - earning the unofficial Scout name of "Bunyip") was Sunday lunch. In our troup, it was a tradition on Sunday lunch (the last meal of the camp) that the boys had small campfires and cooked lunch for the adults on the camp. Usually it was easy things - like sausages and damper.

You won't regret sending your son - and you'll be surprised when he comes back at how much he's changed!

Megan McConnell
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Thanks everyone! My son told one of the adult leaders two days into his stay that he wasn't sure of he'd make it through the week; by the end of the week, he was very enthusiastically singing camp songs and talking about all his adventures. I think it did him a world of good. He's learning so many new skills, and most of all, I think he is going to grow into a confident and capable young man if he continues with scouting. I was SO impressed with all of the young Eagles who worked at the camp. They really seemed to know how to lead, have fun, and take things as they come.

take care-

Lorel

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.