Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
zandes Offline OP
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Z
Does anyone have any great suggestions for starting a new, local, homeschooling support group? I'm currently in the process. I've made flyers and would like ideas on where to effectively post them for recruits. I have also started a Yahoo group called Diverse Homeschooling (the name of the group, of course). Any good suggestions for posting on the internet? The group is in the Flint area in Michigan.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
Alicia

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Alicia,
This topic is near to me, I started a group from scratch about 6 years ago and it's now thriving. I was able to hand it over to new leaders last year, and I rest comfortable knowing the group is in good hands. Very rewarding!!

I tried the fliers thing and it just didnt go. The best was creating the yahoo group and then a website as well. You can buy a URL for less than $10 and have it point to a free webpage, such as a site you create at http://www.freewebs.com

If you look at http://www.midflhomeschoolers.com you can see what our website includes. We list some activities, our rules, a guide to homeschooling in florida, etc.

Once you get those up start putting your website in homeschool group directories. Email me the info and I'll put it up here. If you google "homeschool support groups" you'll find tons of directories you can be added to, and don't forget to be added with any state resource you have.

Expect to put a lot of time, work and emotion into the group. I wish I could say you could leave the emotions out, but you really cant.

Also, expect to be doing most of the work for quite a while. It took me around 3 years to get anyone else to host any event. It's taxing, but keep reminding people that if they want more they will have to help. Eventually someone will. Even now everything seems to be hosted by the same 6 or 7 people, but that's a lot better than 1 person doing everything.

Good luck!
Meg

Meg
The World is Our Classroom!
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
Gecko
Gecko
Alicia-

Our public libraries have been very welcoming and helpful in this area. One library has great big rooms available which we reserve for large group activities, another has hosted support group meetings for parents. They tend to be very excited about having people who can use the library during the day, when most kids are in school. We've also used library and supermarket bulletin boards to advertise special events or post notices about who to contact to join our group.

Good luck to you!

Lorel

Parakeet
Parakeet
also, check outBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Z
zandes Offline OP
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Z
I have a largely unvisited group started on yahoo groups for my county. I'm throwing out the honey, just no flies. I've posted on several mom sites (michiganmoms.com, other local meetup groups on meetup.com, several other, more far-reaching groups on yahoo groups, etc.). It's been 2 months and no takers. I did manage to attract a group of people 2 hours away that have hit it off quite well. How long should I give it before I know it's not working? Any other suggestions?

BTW, thanks lorel, I'll talk to our local libraries. I know that our county parks and cultural center work with groups as well. There are other hs groups here. Without honestly being able to sign a christian statement of faith, I am quite excluded from their activities - unfortunately.

Any tips on attracting people for an all-inclusive group/secular hs'ing?

Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.