logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#327064 07/06/07 10:02 AM
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I'm reading Madeleine Albright's memoirs right now ("Madame Secretary") and just read an interesting tidbit the other day.
Essentially she said that she noticed a shift- when she was younger and went over to another couple's home for dinner or whatever, the children would be introduced and then they'd run off somewhere else. Later she found that in similar social situations the kids would be the center of attention all evening. This clearly was an unwelcome change.
Now, I remember when my parents would entertain when I was a kid, we'd come in, say hi, and then take off and play till bedtime (yes, we went to bed when there were still guests in the house- probably unheard of now).
I just thought it was interesting that she mentioned it. smile

"I may not agree with what's on your bumper sticker, but I will fight to the end for your right to stick it." --Unknown
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Amoeba
Amoeba
B
I was just thinking the other day about when we moved to Missouri in 1977 (I was 7 years old). While Mom and Dad were unloading furniture, a girl from up the street came over, introduced herself, and asked if I could come over to play. Now, obviously, they didn't know this girl (or her parents) from Adam's cat, but they let me go. I couldn't even tell you how long I was over there. What are the chances of something like that happening now, eh? I realize that this is more of a safety issue, but it's also about just letting the kids be.

One of my friends (the one whose daughter got me sick earlier this week, ironically) still does exactly what you described above. The kids all go downstairs to play, the adults stay upstairs, the kids go to bed early. Sometimes the friends' / neighbors' kids conk out with them. It's kinda like chivalry - it's not quite dead... yet.

Bifumus #327075 07/06/07 10:57 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I've noticed the shift toward child-centeredness, too. Nobody questions it aloud, because it sounds like you don't like kids. But that isn't it at all. Not everything they do is adorable to everyone.

When my DH2B's family visited at Christmas time, his nephew insisted on putting on performances for us. We had to sit there for 20 minutes while he made sound effects and zoomed all over the room (he's 7, and very theatrical.) The parents tried to rush him along a little, and he would throw a fit. It was a far cry from the Von Trappe family singers performing for their guests.

I just don't find the stuff that kids are into that interesting. There are some things I like doing with my nephew, like reading, but he never wants to do that.

Save your own life - don't have kids!
Bifumus #327076 07/06/07 10:58 AM
V
Amoeba
Amoeba
V
I wonder if it has to do with there being less and less kids. I think about what family gatherings will be like now that my cousin has a kidlet. I'm pretty sure all attention will be on the little one. There are 3 reasons for this:

My cousin has PCOS and other health issues, so this may be her only kid.

I'm the only other person in our generation, and I'm not having kids, making this potentially the only greatgrandchild.

The person closest to the baby in age will be her own Mom, so there will be no little kids (or any kids) to sit with at "the kids table".

So I'm thinking at least in my family, kids are a rarity. And there will not be enough kids to send them off to entertain themselves.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
French Open Tennis Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 05/30/24 01:20 AM
Bandana Essentials
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/29/24 05:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/29/24 05:24 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/27/24 08:37 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/27/24 08:26 PM
Outside the Box Sewing
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/25/24 12:37 PM
Fabric Flowers for Spring
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/15/24 10:40 PM
Review - Animated Illustrations by Jamie Bartlett
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/14/24 02:52 PM
Review - Adobe Animate Essential Training
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Learn EVERYTHING about Creating Repeat Patterns
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:04 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.