Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Modern Woman #323019 06/18/07 01:48 AM
H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
She says it so beautifully. I wish Joan were here at this moment to elaborate and teach us. smile

I know that opportunities do exist in problems. People find advantages in problems all the time. Take Post-Its for example. I understand that the inventor was trying to develop a super strong glue, but the glue he came up with was as you have seen on the restickable notes. I heard somewhere that when it didn't work for what he wanted, that he started using it around the office.

I would like, one day, to take each wound i feel i still have, and find ways to transform them into good and advantage. I really believe this is possible, in theory, anyway. I just don't understand yet how people do it. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
hollyelise #323020 06/18/07 01:54 AM
H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
Perhaps i need to offer more specific examples...

How might i find advantage in having nightmares and having irregular sleep?

How might i find advantage in being on my own? (without family)

...those might be tough. Perhaps i can find easier ones...

How might i find advantage in growing older?

How might i find advantage in ... in... anything?

hollyelise #323028 06/18/07 02:15 AM
Wolf
Wolf
Originally Posted By: hollyelise
She says it so beautifully. I wish Joan were here at this moment to elaborate and teach us. smile

I know that opportunities do exist in problems. People find advantages in problems all the time. Take Post-Its for example. I understand that the inventor was trying to develop a super strong glue, but the glue he came up with was as you have seen on the restickable notes. I heard somewhere that when it didn't work for what he wanted, that he started using it around the office.

I would like, one day, to take each wound i feel i still have, and find ways to transform them into good and advantage. I really believe this is possible, in theory, anyway. I just don't understand yet how people do it. Any suggestions?

Penicillin was also found that way. But these are accidental opportunities. I think Joan is saying something different.

Such as- After my abuse, I learned that all human beings are not good. Before that I never thought about that.

Modern Woman #323041 06/18/07 03:12 AM
H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
And yet, she mentioned opportunities.

hollyelise #323048 06/18/07 03:56 AM
Wolf
Wolf
Perhaps i need to offer more specific examples...

How might i find advantage in having nightmares and having irregular sleep?

No advantage in nightmares. But they are indications of your insecurity. They tell you that please begin feeling secure.

How might i find advantage in being on my own? (without family)

You become independent. You learn to be happy alone. You also realize the value of companionship.

...those might be tough. Perhaps i can find easier ones...

How might i find advantage in growing older?
You are becoming wiser.

How might i find advantage in ... in... anything?

Last edited by cdmohatta; 06/18/07 05:42 AM.
Modern Woman #323049 06/18/07 03:57 AM
Zebra
Zebra
Originally Posted By: cdmohatta
Originally Posted By: Alexandra
Originally Posted By: cdmohatta

Sometimes, we need to think of things that give us no results.
That is healthy in a way.

Interesting....

Would you please clarify this for me, and explain to me why in your view this is 'healthy'?
Thank you.

Most of our self talk leads us no where. But that is good to keep our mind busy.
Why did you ask?
you knew the answer.

Thank you for coming back to clarify, CDM, and no, I didn't know the answer, but I needed clarification, because I did not wish to jump to assumptions or conclusions.

Keeping your mind busy with self-talk can be constructive at times, providing the thoughts are deliberate, positive and focussed.
However, permitting thoughts to come and go at random, without any attention or control, is not constructive and does not always generate a positive result.
The more you let your mind wander, the more it is apt to become uncontrollable.
I know from experience that those coming to Meditation sessions I conduct, who have themselves experienced - or are experiencing - periods of acute, chronic or clinical depression, have actually benefitted enormously from meditation, and studiously making efforts to not only control their personal thought patterns, but in some cases, to eliminate them altogether, by stilling the mind.
One man who was diagnosed with a bi-polar condition in his teens (they called it manic depression then) has managed to reduce his medication to such an extent that he expects to be fully free of it within a year. He is 44, and has taken medication since he was 17.
He puts this down entirely to the disciplines of mediation and Tai Chi.

I would add most emphatically that I have had absolutely nothing to do with this aspect of his treatment, and have had no influence or opinion on his medication. This process has been entirely directed and governed by him and his doctor. I would never under any circumstances advise anyone on any medication they are being prescribed.

Just to make that quite clear!! laugh

Alexandra #323054 06/18/07 04:04 AM
Wolf
Wolf
Meditation is the greatest boon we have. I agree.

Modern Woman #323074 06/18/07 05:28 AM
Zebra
Zebra
Whilst I have been a follower of Buddhism for 16 years or so, and have devoted myself to studying and to learning more and more about it, I would say, unquestionably and irrefutably that for me, the single greatest path to permitting me insight into my Mind, my emotions, my attachments and my own suffering, has been the one I have walked on in meditation.
In fact, I would go so far as to say that without Meditation, much of my learning would be futile.
It wpuld be like being given a prescription by a doctor, but then only reading the instructions on the packet.

Alexandra #359275 12/12/07 02:28 AM
H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
Well,

I'm reviving this old post for a couple of reasons. We were having some good discussion here, and, i haven't been feeling optimistic lately and i want to improve my attitudes. Perhaps some others are feeling this way, too.

Where do you start when you find yourself feeling discouraged?

hollyelise #359282 12/12/07 03:02 AM
H
Shark
Shark
H
Visualize that you are achieving your goals.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/08/24 09:46 PM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.