Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#319481 06/04/07 02:33 PM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Someone asked me "the question" this weekend, and I didn't handle it well at all.

It was my friend's cousin, and I've only met her once before. And they were asking me about my engagement, and the one, who has two kids, kept referring to when I have kids.

But then she asked me, are you going to have kids. And I was really wishy washy about it b/c I didn't want to hurt her feelings. I felt like I had to justify why I don't want them, and I was almost apologetic about it.

And the mood changed after we talked about it. And I really think I was as kind as I could be about it. But she was different toward me after we talked about it.

I think they get mad b/c they think we are downing their choice. And I'm telling you, I really wasn't derogatory about it at all.

Help! I know this is going to heat up with the wedding on the way.

Last edited by happytobechildfree; 06/04/07 02:34 PM.

Save your own life - don't have kids!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
Maybe, "Let's just get throught the wedding, ok?" Or, "I am so full of happiness with the wedding and the idea of living with so-and-so and sharing our lives, that I am purposly not going to answer that question because the present is just perfectly wonderful, I don't want to miss a moment of it daydreaming about changing everything by addind a new person into the mix. Haven't you ever though it's funny how society makes that leap? Then you can take the conversation into how we always rush things. Like how people ask a kid in elementary school if they have a boyfriend. And they always are asking high schoolers where they want to go to college. Then as soon as someone gets engaged they want to talk the wedding details. Then, about babies. I do think it's a phenomenon that stems from not having anything to say, so you ask the person an "easy" question to start the chatter going.

I have especially noticed this with church friends and neighbors, and I myself have done it to people (before y'all opened my eyes that this is not a polite conversation topic), because what else do you say to someone while you are held captive at a wedding shower? Very few people put effort into the art of conversation to be able to talk about current events, movies, books, philosphy, etc. And if you only see a person once a year at a Christmas party, for instance, you have very little to say to them to begin with.

Last edited by pinkbows; 06/04/07 03:36 PM.
pinkbows #319493 06/04/07 03:29 PM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Hi Pinkbows,

I think you are right - people are just trying to make conversation. And in most conversations, it probably really helps, because most people love to talk about their kids, whether their kids are in an adorable phase, or acting out. People love to talk about their problems with their kids, too.

But it's just awkward when you say you don't want kids. It's a total buzz kill. People get silent, and funny.

It is weird when people make that leap. I would like to enjoy my life with my DH2B after we get married.

Oh, and the other thing, this woman kept telling me I had plenty of time. I will be 36 in September. This just shows how uneducated people are if they think you can just have kids into your 40s. It's really not a good idea, and I would never take that chance with my own life. But you can't talk about that either, because this woman is 40, and has a 3 and 6 year old. Which means she had her kids during that critical time period.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I'm always really up front about it, but still careful. Typically I'll say something like "no, we decided not to have children. I don't think everybody is cut out for parenthood." That way, it's not "downing" their decision, but it's not downing mine either.

Jez
jezthepuff #319498 06/04/07 04:23 PM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: jezthepuff
I'm always really up front about it, but still careful. Typically I'll say something like "no, we decided not to have children. I don't think everybody is cut out for parenthood." That way, it's not "downing" their decision, but it's not downing mine either.

Good call! That's such a good point, because the nonparent point of view needs a lot more help than the parent.

Still, I just felt really uncomfortable. Most of the people in my life that know me, know how I feel about the idea of being a parent.

N
Gecko
Gecko
N
Why do you think it will heat up?

nosy #319516 06/04/07 05:59 PM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
B/c I am getting married. I've been feeling left out for a long time b/c all of my peers have been having kids, but no one really said anything to me about having kids b/c I wasn't married. I mean, they treated me different b/c I wasn't part of the baby making posse, but I wasn't married, so why would I have a baby.

Now, I think people will expect it b/c it's what every other unimaginative soul does.

And if someone I barely know is asking this question on the heels of my engagement, I've got to think others will be, too.

I hope I can be stronger next time around.

Parakeet
Parakeet
The questions will heat up. I got married two years ago, age 35. But unbelieveably to me, I would get the kids question BEFORE I was married! (Maybe because now DH and I were together 7 years before we got married.) Anyway, the questions did heat up a lot around my wedding, because people just assume kids are the natural progression after marriage. And with 60-somethings having babies nowadays, 40 doesn't seem like the "can't have kids anymore" stop sign it used to be. I was amazed at the strangers who would ask me the kids question, and not believe me when I said no. My close friends and coworkers seem to have accepted my answer, as I have never wavered in my certainty that I don't want kids, and I don't fawn over babies when they're brought to the office. They know my dogs are my kids. :-)

Just be sure of yourself, and calmly tell them no, you don't want kids, and you know your mind well enough that you feel it's not going to change. Or any of the other polite responses people have provided here. Don't worry about making the asker feel "bad" because it's really none of their business, and you're doing them a favor by replying!

Cindy

Gecko
Gecko
Originally Posted By: happytobechildfree
Now, I think people will expect it b/c it's what every other unimaginative soul does.

And if someone I barely know is asking this question on the heels of my engagement, I've got to think others will be, too.

I hope I can be stronger next time around.

I'm just about sure you can. I'd work on a brief "elevator speech" and a longer list of talking points you can use with people with whom you might have a longer conversation. I don't think well on my feet, so this is what I had to do.

For what it's worth, I had more questions right after my first marraige (I was 25). Then it dropped off. A huge number of my friends haven't had kids, either --- although few of them are overtly, vocally CF.

It *will* get better! But you're right to be concerned about the next few years. Once people understand that your marriage is your marriage, and you have a mind of your own, they'll leave you alone. Be strong!

Meet CF couples and singles in your city!

Browse a list of CF Meetups on Meetup.com:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
A
Amoeba
Amoeba
A
Hi Happy,

After firmly stating your position, maybe you could slide in another conversation topic, maybe ease the moment a bit? Something totally different or even something kid-related like "my DH and I have decided to be child-free - it's just the best fit for us. Besides, we love having time to enjoy our neices/nephews. Why jsut the other day wonderchild did this or that .... " (that is, of course, if you are kids in your life you do enjoy spending time with!) Then the other person is more likely to keep going.

Of course, if any kid conversation bores you to tears, maybe some other topic could work. Hmm... "we've chosen to be child-free, as it's the best fit to our lifestyle. We'd really like to travel - are there any places you've been that you'd recommend?" (and if they say, "no, we don't travel, we have kids" you could always sigh, look at them sadly and say "that's too bad." hee hee hee hee ....)

Andie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.