Print Thread
#313623 05/15/07 03:21 PM
O
Other Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
O
Check out Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron's "The Atheist's Nightmare: The Banana" video on youtube:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by Ali - Atheist Editor; 05/15/07 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Well said Alicia,
I think Hippocrates would have agreed with you when he said
"People think that epilepsy is divine simply because they don't have any idea what causes epilepsy. But I believe that someday we will understand what causes epilepsy, and at that moment, we will cease to believe that it's divine. And so it is with everything in the universe."

S
S
Oh Dear - I think the word "satirical" has been overlooked in the banana caper.

O
Other Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
O
Satirical? I wish. I'm afraid that Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron were quite sincere about their banana proof for the existence of God. Did they appear a little silly? Yes, but silliness is not the same as satire. To conclude that their argument was satirical would mean that they were actually ridiculing belief in God, which they were not. Comfort is an evangelist minister who writes Christian books and is known for his proclivity (if not ability) for debating the existence of God against atheists.

Now, if you meant that the banana caper could be easily satirized, then you are right. In fact, it has been on numerous occasions. Just do a search for "banana" and "God" on YouTube, and you'll find all sorts of banana satires.

N
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
N
If I'm not mistaken, the bananna we eat has only been around since the 50's, when the previous mass-market banana (I think it was called the "Big Mike") was wiped out by disease.

O
Other Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
O
I'm not sure if the "Big Mike" (or "Gros Michel" as it's called internationally) was completely wiped out, but its production was definitely reduced to the point that it was no longer viable as mass-market produce.

N
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
N
Thanks for that. Generally speaking, all agricultural products or domestic animals are artificial. Most of them were created through selective breeding, but some rquired more radical methods. Canola/rapeseed oil in its natural form is inedible, but was a widely used industial lubricant. Some biologist exposed the plant to chemical mutagens until random chance produced a plant that a) survived, and b) didn't express the offending protein. Modern genetic engineering could have done the same thing a lot easier, but then canola would be a "GMO."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.