BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Unknown:

Some children's answers to church school questions - from the Church of England

Voltaire:

If God did not exist it would be necessary for us to invent Him.

Voltaire:

When it's a question of money, everybody is of the same religion.

Voltaire

A clergyman is one who feels himself called upon to live without working at the expense of the rascals who work to live.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
D
Ali, seems you might have cornered the market on well known Athiest worth quoting who's last name starts with 'U', I have to admit when written like that I can see why it's kinda a short list sooooooooo going to post two of the numerable credited 'Unknown' quotes I liked.

Unknown
Mankind is the puddle, marvelling at how perfectly the pothole conforms to its shape.

Unknown
Atheism is a religion, just like "off" is a TV channel

Last edited by Darwins Monkeyboy; 05/07/07 03:31 PM.
O
Other Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
O
Voltaire
Which is more dangerous: fanaticism or atheism? Fanaticism is certainly a thousand times more deadly; for atheism inspires no bloody passion whereas fanaticism does; atheism is opposed to crime and fanaticism causes crimes to be committed.

The truths of religion are never so well understood as by those who have lost the power of reasoning.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Kurt Vonnegut
There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God Almighty Himself hates with you, too.

Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.

Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

The sermon was based on what he claimed was a well-known fact, that there were no Atheists in foxholes. I asked Jack what he thought of the sermon afterwards, and he said, "There's a Chaplain who never visited the front.

Paul Val�ry
That which has been believed by everyone, always and everywhere, has every chance of being false.

God made everything out of nothing, but the nothingness shows through.

The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us.

O
Other Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
O
Alice Walker:
What the mind doesn�t understand it worships or fears.

George Washington:
If I could conceive that the general government might ever be so administered as to render the liberty of conscience insecure, I beg you will be persuaded, that no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution.

Walt Whitman:
Pointing to another world will never stop vice among us; shedding light over this world can alone help us.

Daniel Webster:
Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.

Oscar Wilde:
The worst vice of the fanatic is his sincerity.

Mary Wollstonecraft:
In fact, it is a farce to call any being virtuous whose virtues do not result from the exercise of its own reason.

O
Other Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
O
And finally, X, Y, and Z:

William Butler Yeats:
Once every people in the world believed that trees were divine, and could take a human or grotesque shape and dance among the shadows; and that deer, and ravens and foxes, and wolves and bears, and clouds and pools, almost all things under the sun and moon, and the sun and moon, were not less divine and changeable. They saw in the rainbow the still-bent bow of a god thrown down in his negligence; they heard in the thunder the sound of his beaten water jar, or the tumult of his chariot wheels; and when a sudden flight of wild ducks, or of crows, passed over their heads, they thought they were gazing at the dead hastening to their rest.

Frank Zindler:
Consider: what could be more American than the principle that every person is to be held accountable for his or her crimes only? Could anything be more un-American than the Second Commandment's warning that "I Yahweh, thy God, am a jealous god, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation�"? Not even the Common Law would have hung a man because his grandfather had stolen a horse!

D
D
Steven Weinberg
With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Matt Woodard
Religious sounds dandy, but so do unicorns.

Frank Zappa
The revolutionaries who got this country started were not, as Pat Robertson would have us believe, a bunch of wig-headed Jeezo-Grovelers, whimpering for guidance from The Unseen Hand. They had a First Amendment premonition about pimp-weasels like him

Stupidity has a certain charm --
ignorance does not.

The essence of Christianity is told to us in the Garden of Eden.
The fruit that was forbidden was on the tree of
knowledge. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is
because you wanted to find out what was going on. You could
be in the Garden of Eden if you had just keep your [censored]
mouth shut and hadn't asked any questions.

Luke Zielinsk
For Lent I gave up religion�

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.