Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
#311178 05/04/07 01:26 AM
L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Wasn't sure where to post this but anyways, I finally want to quit smoking but I'm having a hard time telling myself no when I want one.

I had my first cigarette when I was 12. I've been smoking off and on since I was... 14 and I am 22 now. The longest I've gone without smoking at all was probably about 6-8 months. I went a year where I only smoked when we went to the bar or a party which was about every 3-4 months and I would have maybe 1 or 2 smokes that night and then that was it. Last time I really tried to quit I went about 4 months I think. What I did was place little notes around the house (bathroom mirror, by the phone, on the fridge etc) and every time I came across the note I had to read it outloud 3 times. It would say things like "I am a non-smoker" "I don't want to smoke" etc etc. I did this for about 2 weeks and it did seem to make it a bit easier. I also drank lots of water and chewed lots of gum! But then I started again for whatever reason. Our cat died, stress in the family, stress at work, depression, my husband has a hard time when he's trying to quit so then it puts a bit of a strain on his mood which then affects the way we communicate etc.

This time around I keep telling myself that I don't want to smoke, but I keep doing it. I smoke the most at work or in social situations. At home sometimes I wont even smoke at all, or maybe just 1 or 2. It's hard at work because everyone else smokes there and it's hard to get away from that. It's such a habit to just go outside on my breaks. I know I could just stay in the staffroom and read or something, but I don't.

My husband and I are moving again June 1st and he said he wants to quit after we move, and I want to quit before we move. We know from in the past that we cannot quit together. It's just not easy to deal with when you're irritated by everything and when someone else is irritated by everything at the same time then we just end up caving in together. So I figure if I can quit first, then I can get over that first part on my own and by the time he's ready to quit then my moods wont be so off, and then I can be a little more supportive.

I just keep thinking that I know I can NOT smoke, it's just soo incredibly hard to think that I will NEVER smoke again. Once I get that thought in my head then I just stop trying... It's really hard to explain and I wish I could change this. I know the benefits of quitting, I know the consequences of smoking, I can think of alternatives to try and take my mind off of it (reading, walking, drinking water, etc) But I just seem to lose my motivation to really give it a good try! Anyone have any advice?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
lala21 #311224 05/04/07 10:47 AM
H
Koala
Koala
H
I have heard that people are a LOT more successful at quitting if they get support, and i've heard to that the gov't and the American Lung Association have found out what methods are the most successful. Some people find that hypnosis really helps them to quit more easily. Here are some resources for you:

The American Lung Association
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

D
das Offline
Gecko
Gecko
D
Yes. Support is important when you quit smoking.

das #311684 05/07/07 10:34 AM
H
Koala
Koala
H
das, did you ever smoke, or know someone who quit?

Zebra
Zebra
I smoked for almost 30 years. I smoked a lot--up to 2 packs a day. I quit once for a week and once for a day that whole time. I just celebrated one year without a cigarette on May 5.

So, here's the truth as I know it about quitting: (Your mileage may vary)!

1--It's easier than you think.
2--Smoking is an addiction and all the relapses are just that--relapses to an addiction. It's the nicotine talking. Any addiction is the same really, just different substances.
3--The withdrawal from nicotine physically is 3 days of feeling like [censored]. (Small amounts of cranberry juice every hour or so will help stabilize your blood sugar.) Then, there's two weeks of feeling withdrawal "pangs" and really wanting to smoke. Ignore them. They go away in like two minutes.
4--After two weeks smoke-free, all that's left is breaking the "habit" of reaching for smokes when you drive or finish eating or get [censored] at someone--whatever your own triggers are.
5--You will think "I want a cigarette" many times--when you are having a drink, for example, long after you break the addiction. Don't fall for it.

Never smoke again and you will never have to worry about any of it again. NOPE stands for "Not one puff ever". Even after a year, if I smoke a cigarette, I will be re-addicted. You cannot play with addictive substances and expect you will not be subject to them.

And, finally, watch "Intefvention" on A & E. I used to watch the show and think how stupid those people are -- destroying their lives and the lives of their loved ones because they can't break an addiction. One night, I was smoking and watching and as I put out the cigarette, I realized I was preaching to my addicted self--it's no different really. Addiction is addiction.

You can certainly break the addiction. My sweetie quit one week before I quit and that worked for us. It was a grouchy couple of weeks, but we understood it was the addiction talking and not really us.

Once you put out that last cigarette, don't even entertain the notion of smoking again. You will be so proud of yourself, too--quitting is freedom!

Good Luck!

H
Koala
Koala
H
laugh WOW BellaDeb! Congratulations!!!!!

I have a question for you... what do you think of people trying to cut back before they quit entirely... does it help?

Zebra
Zebra
Thank you, Holly. I am still rather amazed. I never thought I would be able to kick it.

Before I answer, I would never discount anything anyone tried and especially anything that worked!

But I didn't cut back. The research I'd done indicated that cutting back really just prolonged the "agony" of withdrawal. It is kind of like the bandaid approach--do you rip it off quickly or ease it off slowly? I guess in this case, I preferred to rip. For the same reason, I didn't use nicotine replacement patches, gum or anything. I totally support anyone who chooses to go that route, and I do believe anything is better than nothing, but I tried them before and while they lessen withdrawal symptoms, they also keep you addicted longer.

So, all in all, whatever works is fabulous and whatever doesn't work is just one more step on the road to finally quitting! It's all good!

L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Wow that's incredible!

I find that getting to the 2 week point is alright - it's tough but I can do it. I can even last a month or 2... but it's when I get to the third month that I break. I'm not sure why. My husband is the same way. Last time I attempted to quit I last 6 months and I gave in. He only lasted 3. I think it's harder for him to quit than me, but for whatever reason after 3 months I give in. Or I used to use the excuse of when I drink I can smoke. Then of course I end up smoking regularly again. For one year I went without smoking regularly, and only when I went to the bar which was maybe 3-4 times a year. I don't seem to have the will power. We both give in when we go on vacations, or when we drink or when life is extra stressful (death in the family etc). Those are the times we cave in after going 3 months, 6 months, a year. My husband gives in a little easier than me because it affects his mood alot more than it does with me. He gets really [censored], where I just get emotional. And when he gets [censored] he doesnt like being in that mood all the time so then he gives in.

lala21 #311749 05/07/07 03:20 PM
Zebra
Zebra
Thank you, Lala!

You can do it too! According to my research, all the [censored]-ness and emotions are the addiction talking to you--telling you you will feel much better if you just smoke. And you will, for a minute, then you're right back to it.

Truth is, everyone gets [censored] and emotional sometimes. Even people who never smoked. It's just part of life. Find other solutions--exercise is great, chewing gum might work, or how about a hobby such as knitting or painting? (I did make a list of "Things to do Besides Smoke" when I quit so I could refer to it when I really wanted to smoke. It helped take my mind of the craving. They do go away. And, if you don't buy cigarettes, and stay away from smokers (or tell them not to offer or give them to you) when you are quitting, then you won't smoke.

Just remind yourself you are a smoke-free zone!

H
Koala
Koala
H
But then, what do you do if your spouse smokes? I've had friends where one quit and the other kept smoking. If you both quit at the same time, wouldn't it be risking WWIII? laugh

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.