logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#307657 04/17/07 03:08 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Did you share the tragedy with your children? We only disclosed the tragedy to our 13 and 16 year old boys. The little ones (3,3,1) we feel are entirely too young to carry such a burden of knowledge.

Cyn

To those of you affected most personally by the Virginia Tech shootings, the victims and their friends and families, I'm praying for you!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Originally Posted By: Cyn_EarlyChildhood
Did you share the tragedy with your children? We only disclosed the tragedy to our 13 and 16 year old boys. The little ones (3,3,1) we feel are entirely too young to carry such a burden of knowledge.

Cyn

To those of you affected most personally by the Virginia Tech shootings, the victims and their friends and families, I'm praying for you!

I think it's important to acknowledge to young children that sometimes bad things happen that we don't understand, to reassure them that they are safe, and that everyone they know and love is safe. This is a good time to reassure all our children and soothe their fears, as well as reminding them to respect the value, diversity and rights of others.

It's unlikely that we can shield children from all news reports and discussions that will follow this terrible event, or conceal our own sense of horror and deep sympathy for those whose loved ones were in harm's way. I agree that we should protect young children from details and perhaps even the general nature of the tragedy, but we can't be certain that they will remain unaware that something terrible happened.

Our children do carry a burden with such knowledge as they grow up. We might do everything possible to support their resilience and hopes for the future, and to prepare them for emergencies, but they can still struggle through periods when they are overwhelmed by despair and isolation.

I am so moved by the heartbreaking stories of the practical heroism and bravery of those who blocked doorways and helped students and classmates escape, the kindness and support they show one another, and the memorials they create. I hope that they do not hold themselves to a higher standard than first responders and other trained professionals who do have access to support and counseling after traumatic events.

What do we tell our children?

Who do we trust to advise us in unthinkable situations?

My hope is that we will go forward with a resolve to continue building more inclusive and safe communities, in memory of those exceptional young people and professors who lost their lives, were harmed, or otherwise affected, at Virginia Tech.

Right now, I wish I could gather my grown children around me, all their friends and past classmates, and shelter them all from harm. I would like to put my arms around and comfort every person in the Virginia Tech community, and hope they find the solace they will need in future months and years. Violence does cause special needs in children, teens and young adults.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

School Violence and Children with Special Needs
BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
H
H
I don't think your younger children need this information. Everything in its time. Your instincts tell you. We don't bother to tell our your children about crime, drugs, rape... they will get there when they are ready to know. By the way, school shootings are direcly related to mind altering prescription drugs like Ritalin and unti depressants. Scary. Another reason to homeschool.

Moderated by  Nicki - BF & EC Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.