Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KarynJ Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Hi all. This is my first post in this forum, and I hope to learn a lot from all of you.

I've been going to the doctor for those symptoms that nobody can seem to diagnose: excessive fatigue/lack of energy, inability to obtain productive sleep, lack of concentration, weak immune system, body aches, etc. etc. The doctor ruled out fibromyalgia, since I passed his tender points test. He was mentioning Epstein-Barr/mono at my appointment with him yesterday, since I've had a recurring sore throat and swollen glands as of late. But these other symptoms have existed for years without the sore throat or swollen glands. I have most of the symptoms of Chronic Fatigue, but the doctor doesn't think I have that either. I've been to several doctors about this problem, and have heard everything from chronic dehydration to hypoglycemia to depression. Nobody can give me a concrete answer about any of this, and it's very frustrating.

I've also gained an excessive amount of weight over the past 2 years - an average of about a pound a month, without making any changes to my diet or exercise (I am starting to lose the weight though...I've lost 11 pounds so far). I thought I might have low thyroid function, since it runs in my family...but I've had my thyroid checked every year and it is checking out normal so far.

I have other chronic problems like IBS, allergies and asthma.

In the past year, I've tried Effexor, which only made me have violent thoughts. I tried Elavil, which helped me sleep, but made me feel like a zombie during the day, and lastly, I tried Wellbutrin, which almost gave me a seizure. I was on 300 mg. of that, and yesterday he cut me down to 75, although I'm skeptical that it will do any good. It did give me energy though, when it wasn't making my muscles twitch.

(By the way, I checked with a therapist who does not think I have depression, so that's also off the table).

Basically, the doctor told me yesterday that I'm a hopeless case and that there really isn't anything he can do for me. He didn't say that in so many words, but that was the general impression I got from him. So now I'm hoping I can find a more natural solution to the problems I'm having. I'm not ruling out the possibility of a gluten allergy or somesuch, but living in Europe under military healthcare makes it difficult to get referrals. So I may just have to wait until I get back to the States at the end of this year before I can see an allergist. There isn't a dietition around here whom I can consult either.

(By the way, I can't change doctors. He's my assigned doctor and we don't really have any other options).

So...I'm hoping I can find a more holistic approach to start feeling healthier again. For the record, I work out regularly, which is extremely difficult to do considering how I feel most days, but I make myself do it. I eat a much better diet than my husband does, but I could still use some improvement. I just need some guidance as to what herbs I might try or what resources I might check out to try and help myself feel better.

Any information you can give me would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
Karyn -

I have a lot of the same symptoms you do. I have a pituitary cyst, it showed up on an MRI about 15 years ago, but not one 5 years ago. (Unfortunately, they don't think it is gone; that's apparently normal for small cysts.) All the other usual tests for a pituitary cyst and my various hormone levels are in normal ranges. I've had some good luck on my own with Bach Remedies, which I understand are readily available in England. I saw a naturopath when I was first diagnosed and she gave me a number of things that seemed to give me some long term (until recently - I think I need to go back but I'm ruling out a few possibilities that my medical insurance covers first) help. One of them was shark cartilage (you have to be very careful about not taking this when you have a cut because it slows or prevents healing.) Unfortunately, if you have a sub-acute pituitary cyst, the MD viewpoint is that there is nothing to do until you are sick enough that the risk and long-term problems from having your pituitary removed is worse than your current state.

I do find that eating well and exercising does help quite a bit, it IS hard when you are really tired though.

Oh, I recently had low iron levels and started taking supplements. The iron supplements really seem to help with the concentration.

Julie

D
D
Karen, I have had many of the same problems as you and the same frustrations with Dr.'s being perplexed. I have used herbs which are the only things that have helped. I found out I have PCOS (poly cystic ovary syndrome) which causes weight gain and depression as well as a host of other problems. www.drallon.com has lots of information. They provided me with a diet and exercise plan which includes supplements and it has helped. The other Dr. who helped me was www.drstu.net. Dr. Stuart Marmorstein. Also look at www.biocranial.com. I wish someone had told me about Biocranial treatments before I spent 12 years and a fortune on tests and doctors who took my money then told me it was all in my head or I just needed to lose weight.

I also have thyroid problems in my family. My dad has hypothyroidism. My tests don't show problems either but Dr. Marmorstein told me problems don't show up until your thyroid quits working completely. I have all the symptoms of Hashimotos Thyroiditis and have had them since I was a child.

You need to do some research on possibly having Celaic Disease and/or a weakened Adrenal System. Also accupuncture works wonders. The thing that has helped me most are the Biocranial Adjustments. It seems so simple but in 5 minutes I felt better than I had felt in 15 years. I vowed to reach out and tell other people because I truly felt it was a miracle! I never believed in them before until my first biocranial adjustment.

I hope this helps you find more helpful information. I have listed some of my findings on: www.calgonmoments.blogspot.com, www.360.yahoo.com/chinadolll2 and www.homeschoolblogger.com/Dalaimama

Lisa

Zebra
Zebra
Karen, your symptoms sound a lot like mine were. I barely functioned for about 7 months last year. Just for your information, here are some things I found helpful:

Lexapro--really helped the emotional issues I was having--I was angry/tense all the time. I described it as having PMS all the time. My doc said PMS is a serontonin issue, too, so we tried it and I am much easier to live with now. I will probably cut it back and then out in a couple of months. By the way, it has less side effects than other SSRI's (I've noticed no side effects at all on the 10 mg. dose).

NADH--a supplement highly recommended for Chronic Fatigue syndrome. The fatigue was sudden and unexplained (tests showed everything in normal ranges). It was also debilitating and depressing. NADH helped me almost instantly. It's fairly expensive for a supplement, but I think this helped me the most. I have energy now.

Acupuncture--just started last month, but so far, it is helping with my migraines and muscle spasms.

Eating better--I've cut back on a lot of meat and upped the whole grains and veggies.

I hope you find some solutions soon. It truly is miserable when you can't do the things you want to do.

Good Luck!

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Hi Karen, smile

Many food allergies can trigger some of the symptoms you have described. Start your own food journal. By keeping a journal you will be able to notice patterns that seem to be responsible for your some of your symptom.

Start to look at what food you are eating. To help find out which foods might bring on your symptom, make notes about what you eat and drink each day. A food allergies usually occurs three to 12 hours after eating a trigger food, so look back as far as 24 hours before the symptoms occurred to see what might have caused it.

You can then show this journal, diary or calendar to your doctor and also avoid the food that may have triggered some of your symptoms.

Karen, how is your stress level?

A Healthy Immune System
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by AltmedVictoria; 02/08/07 04:03 AM.

Victoria Abreo
Editor - Alternative Medicine Site
Amoeba
Amoeba

Greetings KJ,

Many physicians rule out FMS not really identifyng some key elements that comprise the entire SYNDROME.

I would also suggest that if there is a continuing weight gain there mught be need to check out the tyroid function and for diabetes.

The body can act as if it HAS hypoglycemia OR diabetes and not BE either!

Most of the time this condition is dues to obesity even tjough the initial oset of weight gain may hve begun as a sign of some ther event in your body.

Chronic Fatigue is NOt healped by caffiene; it can actually make a bad situation worse! Learning to find and set boundaries that are ideal for YOU is essential.

be fitly blessed,
aTeeDAZ

be fitly blessed,
aTeeDAZ
Amoeba
Amoeba

~Shalom~

Regarding your lacj of energy*

It is best to have less of any food that reqires alot of energy to digest; oils nuts and fats.

Foods that are NOT energy compromising do assist the body in maintaining the vital energy that you count precious at the event of a FMS/CFIDS crisis /flare up.
Such food low fat buttermilk/yogurt/kefir/miso soup and tofu.

Best to avoid chocolate and coffee soda pop[caffeine laden items DEHYDRATE the facia and make for less effecient movement; soda pop adds to a water weight gin prob;em water log the mucle tissues and ezperiencethe pain of FMS/CFIDS to a different degree.

Soda pop leeches out potassium from the bones and muscles suffer; you may also experience muscle spasm wirh even moderate intake of these non food products.

Baruch HaShem

Last edited by aTeeDAZ; 03/30/07 09:28 AM.

be fitly blessed,
aTeeDAZ
F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
I have a website for you it's www.realtime.net/anr/vitamins.html look up herbs one that I found is olive leaf extract read up on that and greentea and quercetin and resveratrol very very good especially for disappearing varicose veins.

Last edited by fattina300; 04/16/07 09:36 PM.
D
D
Look here

The Healer's Manual: A Beginner's Guide to Energy Therapies
by: Ted Andrews

and the link:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

J
Koala
Koala
J
Lots of great advice here. I would also suggest that you find a reputable accupuncturist who could diagnose and treat you. I would find one who specializes in Chinese Medicine and could give you some herbs. My daughter had some problems in college this year with lack of focus and energy, etc and he fixed her up with accupuncture and herbs. We've also used this doctor for sports injuries and headaches, things like that. If I had something serious wrong with me, I would definitely consult him.

It's hard to start taking herbs, etc without an expert to direct you.

I have a friend who had similar symptoms to yours and she tried a special diet of herbs which absolutely cured her. I saw her before and after and the change was amazing. If you'd like to know more about it, you can pm me. It's a diet program that I use too and my immune system is so healthy I never even get a cold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Teresa - Holistic Health 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.