Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#306882 04/13/07 05:47 AM
KarynJ Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I just saw this on Yahoo news. I have no idea what to even think about this. On the one hand...what? On the other hand, if it introduces more people to classic literature, then it can't be that bad.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
O
Shark
Shark
O
I think it sounds fabulous. I'd love to go there. From the description, it's obvious that what they're shooting for is not Disneyland with top hats and canes but a historical theme park, something similar to the historical theme park in Colonial Williamsburg (Virginia, U.S.) that centers around the lives of the late 18th Century residents of that town, including Thomas Jefferson, among others. There are already plenty of Renaissance theme parks (and in fact, I'm working at one in Waxahachie, Texas this weekend), so why not a Victorian one? It's an excellent idea to amuse people while arousing their curiosity about the past. And yes, perhaps a few of them will pick up a copy of two of Nicholas Nickleby, as well.

And that makes me wonder if there will be live theatre based on Dickens' tales at the park as well. The thought of live theater in a period setting, with perhaps a roaring fire in the fireplace and a spot of tea (or rum) to warm me up while I'm watching is enough to make me want to buy tickets in advance right now!

Last edited by Ali - Atheist Editor; 04/13/07 07:57 AM.
KarynJ Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I get what they're trying to do...but I'm not sure if calling it a theme park is the best thing. That does give people a mental image of someplace like Disneyland. I think if they called it a Dickens Historic Village or something, it might make a little more sense. Or at least, that's what I'm thinking. Regardless, I'm sure it will be popular.

Gecko
Gecko
Interesting. I can see that it would/should be popular. I agree that the "theme park" name conjures images of roller coasters, etc. I guess it depends on how commercial/cheesy vs authentic they make it. I think part of the mystique of Williamsburg is that the actors can live within the village, learn the trades, etc. to make it a real working village. It also seems to be the kind of place that people either love or hate (I personally love it).

I'm not a Dickens fan (I think I'm the only English major in the history of English majors who can't stand Dickens), but I'd probably visit the village just to see it. I also visited the Dickens house on one trip to London, which was interesting.

O
Shark
Shark
O
Actually, the name "theme park" is not used in the official title; it's simply a description that was provided by the person who wrote the article about it. The real name is "Dickens World," which is ok. I personally like Karyn's suggested name of "Dickens Historic Village" or something of that manner a lot better.

All the same, the idea of a theme park might conjure up images of roller coasters and such as Tbunny suggests. To me, however, the name "theme park" when applied to places like Six Flags over Texas is a misnomer. Six Flags is an amusement park, not a theme park. It may have had a theme once in the original Texas park (which was divided into six regions, each based on a historical period of Texas during which Texas was ruled by different nations, and hence different flags), but these days there seems to be very little historical or cultural aspect to the parks at all.

I wish there were more actual theme parks and fewer amusement parks, personally. Rides can be great fun, but amusement parks are often missing the imaginative spark you find at theme parks or historical parks like Colonial Williamsburg or the average Renaissance Faire. If they want to throw in a couple of period games are pony rides or something of that manner, that's fine. But I think shops with real people producing and selling clothing goods that would really have been used during Dickens' time is a lot more interesting, both to adults and children alike. Heck, it can even be interesting for adolescents if you throw in a few sword fights and some baudy humor.

KarynJ Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Tbunny

I'm not a Dickens fan (I think I'm the only English major in the history of English majors who can't stand Dickens), but I'd probably visit the village just to see it. I also visited the Dickens house on one trip to London, which was interesting.

I wouldn't say that I can't stand Dickens...but I find him tedious. All except for A Christmas Carol.

(Wow...I've been away from the forums for awhile. Been working on a HUGE time-consuming writing project).

J
Koala
Koala
J
My sister's family and my family are planning a trip to England together in a year. My sister was researching places we could go that her 7 year old would enjoy. She was happy and kind of amazed to find that the sort of places they recommend for kids include things like Dickens and Shakespeare related places.

Since she's done the Disneyland thing with her little boy and since we are of British heritage and love history, she was glad to see that maybe the British have a different view of what kids should be doing on vacation.

I've read that in the US, visiting historical sites like Plymouth and Williamsburg are down because people are seeking something more lively and entertaining for their kids to "do" rather than try and expose them to (gasp!) history.

Moderated by  Sarah - English Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.