Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#301793 03/23/07 02:05 PM
Tbunny Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I was thinking this morning about how people have kids as a legacy, and then started thinking about what I want my own legacy to be. So I am considering setting up a scholarship fund. Have any of you done this? If so, where do I start (aside from calling my financial advisor), what should I consider, etc.
Another option I'm considering is naming a charity as a beneficiary on life insurance - have any of you done that?

What are other ways in which CFs can leave a lasting legacy?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tbunny #301802 03/23/07 02:20 PM
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
I've always hoped that the work I do to preserve history will be some kind of legacy...

Snooks #301833 03/23/07 03:24 PM
Tbunny Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
With my English degree, I had always hoped to either be published or leave a cache of material behind for posthumous publication. Unfortunately, I haven't written much since college (that pesky job...) As of now, that is how I dream of spending my retirement.

Tbunny #301863 03/23/07 05:07 PM
Gecko
Gecko
My students are my legacy. Some have even eclipsed their generalist teacher in specific areas of musical achievement --- and are attending prestigious classical and contemporary conservatories. One of them came back to campus today; she and I were both yelping, we were so happy to see each other!

I love the scholarship idea. It's really something to think about.

Last edited by bonsai; 03/23/07 05:08 PM.

Meet CF couples and singles in your city!

Browse a list of CF Meetups on Meetup.com:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Tbunny #301883 03/23/07 06:08 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Tbunny
With my English degree, I had always hoped to either be published or leave a cache of material behind for posthumous publication. Unfortunately, I haven't written much since college (that pesky job...) As of now, that is how I dream of spending my retirement.

You have no idea how much I relate to this. Although I am writing more now than I ever have. Just nothing at this point that will make me immortal.

Tbunny #301893 03/23/07 06:50 PM
L
Koala
Koala
L
I had kind of hoped to do this through documentary, editing, or filmmaking.

I have also been considering making my nephew my "heir." Leaving money for scholarship or charity also sounds very appealing - I would probably leave it for The Whale Museum in Washington State and maybe to encourage female filmmakers. Assuming, of course, that at some point in my life I'd ever have money. :-)

Tbunny #301900 03/23/07 07:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our wills specify percentages to all our charities. Now our money will go to help out causes that would have otherwise been sucked away by those stupid roller tennis shoes and college tuition!

#301921 03/23/07 08:56 PM
Shark
Shark
Elise, I am hoping to do the same thing with the kids I work with in Big Brothers Big Sisters...I try and get them involved in things that are going to allow them to figure out who they are and the value they have as individuals. lngilbert, we must have similar backgrounds....one of the projects I am working on with our teens is a documentary project, where the kids will be involved in the process from the research to the shooting and editing of the film.

Though I have no money to offer at this time, I would love to do a scholarship fund if I ever had money. There are so many kids that could do so much if they had the opportunity--but they don't. Scholarships could be for school but also for extracurricular activities. We read articles constantly about overscheduled kids. The kids I work with don't get to participate in anything--they have no money and no available transportation. They sit around and get into trouble. I always think that if I could get them involved in some sort of daily activity, they would be using that time constructively, rather than painting graffiti.

Chaco #301943 03/23/07 11:33 PM
Shark
Shark
This is something I definitely think about. My DH and I haven't made up wills yet, but I would like to contribute to my nieces' educations- whether we're alive at the time, or not (anything is possible, however unlikely). That's one facet of the legacy thing. Another possibility is to help girls get into science, through volunteer work or the scholarship idea, which I hadn't thought about until I read this thread (so thanks for the idea!).
My definition of "legacy" is putting something positive into the world that wouldn't have existed if I hadn't existed- and it can be as small as a new idea, or contribution to the betterment of society. I'm always looking for new ways to do this. smile

"I may not agree with what's on your bumper sticker, but I will fight to the end for your right to stick it." --Unknown
Tbunny Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
When we first started having nieces/nephews, I thought then that we'd like to help with their college education, but that was before there were too many of them for this to be practical. I'd still like to help them to some extent, but I like the idea of the scholarship because it would help more kids than just the few I know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.