Page 1 of 2 1 2
#299184 03/14/07 05:04 PM
P
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
P
I want to hug every single one of you!

I'm a 40 yr old woman in a committed relationship.
I have been struggling with the 'kids vs. no kids' issue for my entire adult life!
I am seeing a therapist weekly, my major topic being my struggle with the decision not to have children. It eats at me daily and I have been suffering terribly. EVERYONE around me is having or has had children and I feel like an outcast, so lost...

I stumbled upon this site as I was "googling" the topic 'deciding not to have children�; just to see what sort of help/advice I could get though books/clubs, etc.

You don't know how relieved I am to be reading your comments! Honestly, I have been feeling so alone, like a freak of nature for not wanting to have children.

My decision is based on a number of factors that I can share with you:
1) I suffer from chronic depression (which is under control with medication) and I am also hyper-sensitive (light, noise, smell, etc) (which I can�t do much about). I know that I don't have the strength or patience to raise children
2) We are already overcrowding and killing this beautiful planet of ours and I just don't understand how people want to keep procreating - my goodness! Just adopt! How many babies and children are in need of Parents and love? Are you that narcissist that you need to have "your blood" running around? That's not real love to me.
3) I�m afraid of what I see -- children not being taught respect: Parents letting children do what they want to do, eat what they want to eat, behave like they feel like behaving, with absolutely no respect for anyone else around them; Parents who take their children with them EVERYWHERE they go! What is that about???
The scariest thing, is that because they are not being taught respect, it means that they are not learning self-respect � Paris Hilton? As a ROLE MODEL? She is an attention-seeker whose acceptance and worship reads like: Hey, it�s okay to go partying in clubs at the age of 14, to do coke to stay thin, to dress like a hooker and to act like one too! It�s okay to get away with all sorts of bad behaviour because you�re famous and �in�. What a sad state.
Children are getting sexually active when they are 10, even younger. They are overweight take things for granted, are overindulged by their Parents! They talk back! How is that acceptable? OUCH! I can feel the sting of the slap and the taste of the Sunlight soap on my tongue!
Why the heck would I want to bring a child up in this world and have to fight against all this �accepted� and �normal� behaviour? It breaks my heart.

My Parents (my father, the bread winner, my mother the stay-at-home-mom for her 2 children) never allowed the sort of behaviour that I see today. NEVER, EVER. If we wanted to sit with �the adults�, we had to behave, this included going to restaurants! There is NO WAY, that we could scream or RUN AROUND a restaurant, or my Parents� friends� dining table! If that happened, my father would take us outside and give us a choice: behave or we go home � but he NEVER yelled at us in public! (Or even at home as a matter of fact � he did raise his voice a few times, but I remember we deserved it!). We were not taken to weddings, or funeral, or cocktail parties until my younger brother was 12 (even so, cocktail parties, never). What happened?

When �adults� were talking, we had to keep quiet until it was our turn to speak, or else go play away from them. Today, whenever I�m at a dinner and there are children, IT�S ALL ABOUT THE CHILDREN! They are allowed to interrupt with screams and loud toys that they bang on our legs or heads, without the Parents saying a thing, my partner and I can never have a real conversation with our friends anymore. ARGHHH!
And speaking of playing, once my brother and I were done playing, we had to put away our toys. What happened to that?! I am shocked whenever I enter someone�s home and all I see are bright primary colours peppering the home! Toys, crayons, etc, everywhere!

Also, my Parents never stopped being a couple. Every Friday they went on a date. Once a year, they went on vacation �� deux�. The �family� vacation was a separate vacation in the summer time. And please don�t come back to me and say: �Oh, but todays� Parent is so exhausted!� � We can�t afford a vacations� (it doesn�t mean you have to book a trip to the Orient or Paris -- it�s about getting away, AS A COUPLE, even if at a cheap motel for a long weekend). �Today�s Parent doesn�t have time for cleaning up, for cooking a decent nutritious meal, for fixing themselves up� Really.
So my father working 6 days/week at least 10 - 12 hour/day and my mother working as a full-time mom AND volunteering AND sewing AND cooking AND cleaning AND, AND, AND was NOT exhausting? Sorry, but my Parents did it. What argument will I hear now? �Yes but your mother stayed at home, and times weren�t like they are now�� Okay, so now you mean to say that for those women who have the option of staying at home, it is NOT considered a full-time job, when that�s all we hear?!
What IS the excuse? AND if it�s so exhausting and you have no time for yourself, etc., THEN DON�T HAVE CHILDREN! It�s that simple as that, and if it�s too late because you do, learn to live with your decision and STOP BUGGING US!

People keep asking me over and over again: �How come you don�t have children? When will you have children? You would make such a great mother! What are you waiting for? You know, my sister-in-law/cousin/colleague, etc had children in their forties! You can always adopt�. Bla, bla, bla, etc. etc. etc.� My all time favourite is: �How come you don�t have children, you don�t like them?� To which I usually answer, depending on my mood: �Actually I LOVE children, had one for dinner last night served with a nice little cabernet-sauvignon�.
I don�t like children� what a load of phoey! Of course I like children! I love all living creatures! I love animals (I�ve been rescuing them since I was a little girl), I love plants, I am actively involved in the environment, I am changing careers to help the needy, etc. It�s not a question about not liking children, it is about making a well-thought out choice, for my own personal reasons, and that�s it! It is no one�s business but my own.

I see headlines everyday such as this: MOTHER JAILED FOR LEAVING TODDLER IN CRIB FOR THREE DAYS (just came out today), and I hear all the horror stories of what Parents do to their children, and I�M called selfish because I choose not to have children??? Okay.

�OH! But children change your life!� Yes well, I like my life as it is and I don�t have the motherly instinct - leave me alone!
�I thought I loved my husband until my children came along � now I really know what love is!� Yes, Honey, but what you forgot to mention is that your husband is abusive towards you and is a jerk. I love your children more than your husband as well! Funny how my friends who say this, all have husbands who turned into jerks (cheating, aggressive, absent, etc.)

Why do Parents ALWAYS try to convince you to have children? The people I admire the most are those who say: �I love my children, but think long and hard before having them because it really does change your life�. To this I say: Thank you for your honesty.

Anyway, THANK YOU ALL for enduring my long rant, however, this is the first time I have been able to express myself freely without having the feeling of hurting anyone�s feelings (like Parents hurt those of us who�ve chose not to have children, perhaps? Hmmm).
I feel that I will make new friends here and I look forward to joining this group and participating in a variety of topics.

Boy, I feel soooooo good now. 

[list]
[*]null

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
Gecko
Gecko
N
Welcome piscean_goddess! I'm new too and am grateful to have a place to share my kid complaints. People look at you like you're satan if you don't find children charming, but I knew there were others like me!

F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
Hi piscean goddess! I too have struggled with this my entire adult life. And I've never really found others who share my feelings until I found this site. You're not alone. Another reason to be thankful for the internet.

P
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
P
Thank you nosy and frieda7!
Indeed what a relief! I feel that I will finally have a sound sleep tonight -- and my partner too! ;-)

I too was someone who googled the subject of being childfree and was led here--it's truly like an oasis for people like us smile It feels good to know you're not alone...

Shark
Shark
welcome piscean goddess!! I enjoyed your post thank you for sharing.

I too found this site when searching the internet. I was so fed up with no one understanding where i am coming from. Now, whenever i get irritating comments from people i come here and revel in the fact that there are others out there like me!

C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Welcome. You are in very good company here. I was relieved to find this site myself as I was struggling a time back, but this site and other CF sites have liberated me!!!!

P
P
I have seen people write they feel like an outcast because of the no kid decision. That's a normal response because most people do have kids so that does make us outcasts. It doesn't bother me though. I have never and will never jump on the bandwagon just because everyone else is doing it.

Todays parents raise their kids as irresponsible, unaccountable brats. Kid's behaviors are a 100% reflection on the parents. (Society in general has lost its morals. Look back 50 years ago, 40, 30, 20, 10 and even 5 years ago. See the decline?)

Parents really don't seem to know what they are doing. You would think they would learn as time goes by but they don't. Have you seen the reality shows: supernanny and nanny 911? Those "parents" should be ashamed and embarrassed at what they have produced. I guess they are so desperate for learning how to do their jobs as parents that they force themselves to go on those shows. I give them credit for finally asking for help though. A problem is half of all born (maybe more) are accidents. Ooops. The parents never really wanted them from the beginning, they did not plan for it. They were never prepared and had to just "wing it" and live so... miserably.

Having a kid is not hard to do. Anyone can do it. Think about it: a ten year old girl can have a baby, mentally-challenged people can have babies, drug addicts can. Just because it is physically possible (and way too easy if you ask me) doesn't mean you should. Heck, animals make babies. That doesn't make them any more special than those of us who choose not to. I am not less of a woman for choosing to be childfree (and none of us should feel that way). We are just rational people who actually think things through (ahead of time) and make a decision that is right for us for whatever reasons we may have. We are not robots. We are thinkers.

H
Shark
Shark
H
Hello Piscean Goddess And Welcome. I am also new to this forum and I just wanted to say I really enjoyed reading your post.

I agree with you on many of the points you made and I understand where you are comming from when you get "the question" all the time, Its just so condecending isint it?

Hope smile

jmb Offline
Shark
Shark
Piscean Goddess:
You are definitely NOT alone and you are not a freak.
You will find TONS of support from like minded individuals on this forum.
We feel like you do, and I wish that more people took the time to actually THINK through the reasons for/against having children the way you have done. You have great reasons for not having children... Don't let anyone pressure you into changing your mind - YOU know what's best for YOU.
And feel free tell those busy bodies to mind their own business -it really is NONE of their business if you want children or not.

Here's a way I've dealt with the "when are you going to have kids" question in the past:
I replied that it really is not a good idea to ask that question, because you never know if the person you are asking might be UNABLE to have children, but really would like to have a baby... and it might be a very upsetting question for them.

Now, I never said that applied to me, but that person never mentioned it again. And you might prevent the nosy busy body from asking that question of a person who would be very upset... Just a thought.
Have a great CF day!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Trailer for "Limbo" Starring Simon Baker
by Angie - 06/02/24 09:09 PM
Tennis Legend Roger Federer - New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 06/01/24 11:03 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 06/01/24 04:09 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 06/01/24 08:53 AM
Bandana Essentials
by Angie - 05/30/24 08:26 PM
French Open Tennis Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 05/30/24 01:20 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/29/24 05:24 PM
Outside the Box Sewing
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/25/24 12:37 PM
Fabric Flowers for Spring
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/15/24 10:40 PM
Review - Animated Illustrations by Jamie Bartlett
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/14/24 02:52 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.