logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29923 08/21/04 11:52 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Hello everyone. I have a very large aviary with 47 finches of varied species in it. This morning I found a female zebra dead. Later I noticed a female society sick on the floor of the cage. Removed her to her own cage. Later found another female society ill also. Removed her. At the same time found a female society freshly dead in her nest. In the meantime the first sick society has died. What has happened? I have done nothing different than in the past. EXCEPT....I quit using litter under their water bowl, and have been using newspaper so I can change it often so I don't have a mold problem. I did notice the birds pecking at it. I have since removed the paper and replaced with corn cob litter. Could it be the newsprint poisoned them? And why just the societies?
Please, any suggestions???
Teresa
p.s. I have a female society sitting on just hatched babies. Her mate is in seclusion. Possibly will die. How is this going to affect her and her newly hatched babies? All my nanny societies have now died.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#29924 08/22/04 06:28 AM
M
Koala
Koala
M
Newspaper isn't going to harm your birds at all, they can peck at it without worry, so thats not your problem. In fact, the newspaper is safer than the corn cob litter.

Do you keep them outside? If so, could a neighbour have been spraying for weeds or bugs?

If you keep them inside, do you use teflon pans - or did someone burn scented candles or use a new cleaner in the vicinity? Did you get a new oven (or anything else that heats up) that could have a teflon coating - this includes a hair dryer? Did you have a new carpet installed in your home?

I hope you don't wake up to more deaths this morning.

Mavis
#29925 08/22/04 01:11 PM
I
OP Offline
I
I have picked my brain as to anything different I have done or used. My birds are inside. I don't use any kinds of spray cans, nor use teflon pans anymore. I do us a hairdryer everyday, but always have. The last bird to die was sitting on the floor of the cage. Was very weak, but was able to hop into the food dish. He acted dizzy, meaning his head kept moving in a circular motion like he couldn't fix his eyes in one position.
I lost a total of 4 birds yesterday, 3 were society finches. As of now, the deaths seem to have stopped. Everybody seems healthy. I can't imagine a vitamin deficiency as they get lettuce, sprouts, and fruit along with millet and a good finch seed mixture. Plenty of water.

#29926 08/23/04 04:23 AM
Amoeba
Amoeba
It seems you have covered your bases on environment - and newspaper is very safe. I used crushed walnut for a long time and the corn cob stuff before that. Those can actually pose a problem if a bird ingests it and it causes a blockage in the GI tract- so newspaper is definitely the best way to go.

The symptoms you describe sound as though the birds were low on electrolytes - usually a secondary symptom to an illness, injury or toxin. You mentioned that you were using the societies as "nannies" and one was on eggs... you may have a vitamin D3 and/or calcium deficiency. Whether laying eggs or raising babies, your finches are putting alot of energy into their work and societies will often work themselves to the point of illness and death. I use a product called "Calciboost" (you can find it at www.birds2grow.com). I don't know what types of daily vitamins/supplements you use, but they may need more than a general vitamin regimen during times when they are working extra hard. I know my foster finches are very tired at times, and this with me helping them out on the feeding. I have found that providing fresh hard boiled egg mixed with a powdered eggfood base daily has really helped my birds perk up when they are otherwise fatigued. I chop it up - the entire egg with shell, and then put whatever amount they seem to eat mixed together with the eggfood for a nice soft-food mixture high in protein, calcium and vitamin D3.

It sounds like you have chosen the hardier Aussie finches for your aviary, so you are not as likely to encounter problems such as this very often. I breed and keep some African waxbills which require high maintenance and TONS of fresh live food in order to get them to even try to raise their young. The Africans err on the side of precaution and will toss the babies if they do not feel like they have enough food to share. My two female "foster" society finches seem to be the opposite and definitely put alot of effort into laying infertile eggs between cordon babies. Even though the societies do not have the insect/high protein diet as a general "need," I have found that mine are happy to eat the higher protein foods that I feed my cordons. No feathers go missing and they seem quite robust with the softfood added to the rest of their diet.

One more idea that has worked well for me in the past and still seems to hold true - providing a separate bowl of gatorade (refresh daily) really works well for the healthy birds. They will choose to drink from it when they sense the need. In times of sickness, I always remove all water sources except for the gatorade, confine the bird(s) to a small "hospital" cage, use seeds for the bedding, provide lots of millet, and put a ceramic heat emitter over part of the cage so that the bird can choose the best temperature for comfort. I have had some "no chance" situations work out fine using that set-up.

Anywayz - Good luck and if you have anything I can maybe help you with, feel free to email me personally (email listed below). Hope this info gets to you with no further loss of birds. I am so sorry for the ones that did not make it. I know its really hard no matter how many we have.

Living a Life Less Travelled,

Shannon McCullough, LMSW, USEF, AHA
EquiJourneys Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy
Email: skgserenity@aol.com
Webpage For My Cordon Bleu Breeding Program: www.equijourneys.com/FINCHES.html
#29927 10/24/04 10:24 PM
How much of a possibility is there that you have a shedding virus in your aviary?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/13/24 06:20 PM
Review - Adobe Animate Essential Training
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Learn EVERYTHING about Creating Repeat Patterns
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:04 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/11/24 04:36 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.