Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#297750 03/08/07 08:44 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Our house doesn't have a real style to it. I have many cherised possesions that belonged to other people in my family. I have my grandfather's felt cowboy hat (I always remember him wearing this one for "dress"). My dad gave it to me and offered to have it dry cleaned (you could tell where he touched it on the brim to take it off and put it on) but I told him I liked it just the way it was...just like it is waiting for my grandfather to put it on. We have a shelf hanging on the wall that someone made with an old mirror and old hooks that we bought at an antique store and that is where my grandfather's hat hangs. On the same wall I have a photo of my grandfather wearing that hat standing out in the pasture looking at his cattle. We have my husband's grandfather's cattlemans cane (I had never heard of a cattleman's cane before then and they are also called a stockman's cane) hanging on a hook. Also hanging there is my grandaughters hat she used to wear (she grew out of it) when we would go walking daily.

I love to go to garage sales and second hand stores. I think of it as a treasure hunt. We have a long shelf in our dining room over three windows that we have purchased things for when we moved in this house. Now we are looking for a dazey butter churn and I would also like an old coffee grinder.

I had someone come to look at the house (people always tell me they always wondered what this house looked like inside and I tell them come on over...my hubby says I love to "show" off the house) and they told me they loved my house...they said it felt comfortable. I took that as a wonderful complement. I always tell them I had a happy feeling when we looked at this house the first time. Sometimes I still can't believe that this is my house when I pull into the drive.

What is your decor like?

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Amoeba
Amoeba
C
Your house sounds wonderful. How about posting some photos?

I recently gutted my house and flipped around the entire floorplan. It took almost 3 years, but it's SOOOO wonderful.
I painted everything a light cream, just to see what I had. When I first started, it was so bad, I couldn't tell what was there, so by painting all one color gave me a clean place to start from.

After tax season, I may come back and post some pictures if anyone is interested.

D
Gecko
Gecko
D
Connie & Chillin - I'd love to see pics of both your homes. They sound really interesting. Connie, yours has so many personal touches and I love all the things you've been doing on it.

Chillin - I can't believe you flipped the floorplan of your whole house! Wow. Great idea that you painted everything white to start with a fresh canvas.

Donna

conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I was going to take some photos to post yesterday afternoon(my son's camera is a cheapie and you have to have good light to take pictures) and my hubby showed up around noon and I got sidetracked doing yard work. I have 3 beds of mums to dig up and replant. So far I have 2 1/2 done. I also have other perennials to dig up and relocate. So maybe today I will get some photos taken.

I think totally gutting and starting over would be too many decisions for me! I have always dreamed of buying an old victorian and fixing it up though. But, my handywoman skills are limited. Good thing probably.

Last night my hubby and I were taking our after supper walk with the dogs and he says "why do we have all these great ideas but never get them started or finished" LOL...we walk around different parts of town to look at people's yards and get ideas. We were talking about later on (he loves to do that...when we are old and unable to go upstairs anymore) buying x-style of house and I told him, yeah, maybe I'll have that floor finished in that bedroom by then.

~anonymous~
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Sorry in advance for the poor photos, but here ya go

Connie's house

~anonymous~
D
Gecko
Gecko
D
Hi Connie,

I love your front door and your curved interior archways. You have a lot of nice wide trim inside, too. Never see that in new construction. Your buffet is fantastic! I can tell you have lots of cherished items. It's nice that you are taking your time, transforming your home and yard into spaces you love.

Thanks for sharing your pics with us!

Donna smile

conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Donna, there was another arch that was in the kitchen and the previous owners tore it out. They also riped all the lath and plaster off the kitchen walls and sheetrocked it. I tell my hubby I would love to have a simple kitchen...a hoiser cabinet, shelfs on the wall for stuff and a huge kitchen sink (maybe they are made out of stone...) a great big old stove. *sigh* hubby runs the other way when he hears me say "I was thinking..."

Those baseboards are all still intact except in the downstairs bathroom. Every single one of them is one long piece of wood. I would love more of a gingerbread look but feel it would violate the house to dress her up to be something she wasn't originally!

~anonymous~

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.