Print Thread
#293520 02/19/07 10:07 AM
B
bricore Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
B
I was just wondering how many people use Kool aid to dye their wool. My kids and I did it and just loved doing it. I posted some pictures on my blog at

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
A
Hi Dora,
Such a pretty color! You won't have to worry about it wearing off on you. I still have Kool-Aid stains in some blankets from when the girls were babies. They are now 32 and 33. That stuff does not come out.
I wanted to point out the approach of Easter and the use of left-over easter egg dye. I dye some wool with it every year. Last year I made baby mittens with the dyed wool ( after spinning it into yarn, of course)
Also, after Easter is a great time to pick up those dyes for mere pennies in the store.
Best regards from snowy upstate New York
Antje

B
bricore Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
B
Thank-you for that tip! I will grab up a bunch of that Easter Egg dye right after Easter when they mark it all way way done.. I love a bargin!

Thanks again,

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

S
S
I used some kool aid on some suffolk that I had as an experiment, and it came out really well. A nice light tealish sort of color that was kinda unique. Once rinsed and taken care of, it didn't come off on the hands when I spun it.

B
bricore Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
B
The lady down the road from me has suffolk and she said I could have some of the wool. I wasn't too sure how it would turn out so it's great to know that you already did this and it works! I can't wait to work with it.

Thanks for sharing!

Dora Renee' Wilkerson
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

S
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
S
Just be sure to wash most of the lanolin and dirt out of the wool before trying to dye! It doesn't dye as well with all that lanolin in it.

My favorite way to dye is using KoolAid in the microwave. Since KoolAid is "safe", I use it for demos at schools, libraries and museums where small guys are always into everything.

A
Amoeba
Amoeba
A
I use food colourings and a microwave or a bucket on warm days. Its very easy and I don't have to worry about breathing in all those powdered chemicals. Kool Aid is too expensive to use over here in australia, but I have heard you can use jelly crystals at the rate of one packet for 50 grams of fibre, and it gets steamed/simmered the same way you use some of the chemicals. I have yet to try it as its a bit fiddly. I'm a slosh and pour person myself!
Cheers, Caroline

There is no such thing as too much fibre, just not enough storage space.
S
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
S
Food coloring also works well for dying wools. Just about like using the drink powders, but remember it is hard to wash off hands and other clothing if you get it on them.

I have a lot of the paste colors from Wilton. Use Vinegar in the blend to mordant the colors. I will have to go play with some of it so I can post some recipes.

In another forum I am a member of, some of the ladies insist that we not use our FOOD containers for Dye containers. They insist that anything for dying be separate from our cooking. And to preferably have a separate cooking room and microwave for dying.

It is definately something to think about. Red food dye #6 was banned some years ago as a carcinogen. That was just before I bought the bakery. I found a bottle of that when I was taking initial inventory! The previous owner used it in the Red Velvet Cake.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.