Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
E
Koala
Koala
E
Originally Posted By: BiblBasixEditor
Quote:
About what?

blushI don't know... I think that what you said earlier about the fact that I HAVE something I believe in is making it hard for me to understand someone who "doesn't" have any "beliefs". At least beliefs in the sense like I have....

Hiya Jenna

You asked:

Quote:
OK, What do atheists "think" is truth?

which is a very broad question.

The truth about what? About religion? About how we all got here? About the people who love us?

I can't/shouldn't try to speak for atheists, but I think the idea is that they look at facts that have been proved and accept that as a logical basis for making decisions and choices.

As for agnostics, (and again I can only speak personally), it's more a case of truth/fact being academically interesting, but I have no obligation to accept anything or pursue anything further unless I want to.

Example. James Cameron's new discovery of a tomb he has proven/is trying to prove belonged to Jesus. For me that is academically interesting, but I have more interest in Egyptian, Mayan, and European archeology and anthropology than that of the Middle East. For atheists, I don't know - is this significant? They will probably want to dig into all the scientific details. For you? How does this discovery affect a Christian?

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
I think part of the problem here stems from an inadequate language. The word "belief" is used in different ways. Many use the word "belief" as synonymous with faith - it requires no justification or proof. When a scientist uses the word "believe", on the other hand, it is used more in the context of 'given all the data this is the most reasonable conclusion'. Whichever way one uses it, it seems to be very hard (for lack of a better descriptor) to understand the other way of using it.

Denise Lacazette
Exotic Pets Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Quote:
How does this discovery affect a Christian?

From my own personal Christian perspective, I am curious but think it will probably turn out just like Geraldo, a whole time of innuendos and maybe's... no actual facts...

I thik that if Jesus's body was lying in a tomb, people would have found it long before now...

Thanks for the response3s on Atheism. I think everyone is right... my problem HAS been in the terminology used. It isn't that "Atheists believe in nothing" it's a perspective; a way of looking at what one can see and prove to be. Which from my view point is the opposite of believing in Christ. Faith is believing in what we cannot see where as Atheism is believing in that which can be proven tangible. So the challenge is to make Jesus Christ tangible.

JESUS DOESN'T HOLD UP A STANDARD, HE HOLDS UP A MIRROR AND SAYS REFLECT ME!
Jenna Robinson
Bella Online Bible Basics
Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: BiblBasixEditor

I thik that if Jesus's body was lying in a tomb, people would have found it long before now...

Archaeological discoveries still happen. Take, for example, the statue of Hera that was recently discovered.

Given the vast amounts written it is reasonable to assume that Jesus, regardless of some divine intervention, was a man who walked the earth at a point in time in our history. If it is his remains in that tomb it does cause difficulty so I can't see the church accepting any proof that might be offered. The validation that he existed versus losing the whole rapture concept would not be an acceptable trade-off for them IMO. If the rapture did not happen (and subsequently won't happen for the faithful) what else might be incorrect? I'm quite certain they don't want to tread that ground.

Denise Lacazette
Exotic Pets Editor
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I was reading a few posts in here and thought maybe I would add something. Forgive me if it is unwelcome but it is my responsibility as a Christian to say this.

I have read the comments about the "preaching" in here and what are you going to say when you get to Heaven and find out that it is all real.

First, on the preaching, God wants all Christians to be ministers of His Word - the Bible - and to spread the Good News about what He did to save us from our sins. If we as Christians let people walk in darkness without even trying to talk about Jesus, then we are failing in our walk with the Lord.

I am going to try and convert or convince you to become a follower of Christ. My job as a Christian is to talk about Christianity, talk about God, talk about Jesus and talk about the Bible. It will be up to God (in a manner of speaking) to come in and convict your hearts.

God has agape love for everyone, however, if you fail to know His Son, then God, unfortunately, will fail to know you.

If you get to Judgment and you stand before the The Almighty One and He asks you why you didn't believe in Him or His son and you say something like 'I saw no reason and felt no pull to believe' then more than likely God's comments will be "Then I feel no pull to let you into Heaven" and then He will say, "Depart from Ye cursed,; into the Lake of Fire that I have created for Satan and his angels."

It is easy to be flippant about what you will do when you get to Heaven and it breaks my heart to see there are people who refuse to know Jesus and to know God and be so casual about what they will say and do when they get to Heaven and you don't even realize what you are saying or the magnitude of what you are saying.

You felt no pull to believe? He tells you to believe in John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son so that whosoever BELIEVES SHALL NOT PERISH, BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE.

That should be your pull to believe. However, that is why God gave us freewill because He only wants people who love and believe in Him to reign with Him in Heaven.

Read the book "23 Minutes in Hell" by Bill Weise so you can see for yourself how bad it will be.

Also follow this link to see exactly how much God loves you.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Go elsewhere and spread your nonsense.

Jan Goldfield

Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: texasdave7

3. Mary's ( the mother of Jesus) tomb is already known and established somewhere else.

In addition to that the DNA evidence is worthless because it is only partial and they have no one they KNOW was Jesus' relative to compare it to. This whole thing is to stir up controversy for money.

I haven't seen the documentary or done any real reading on the subject, so perhaps this is a stupid question (wouldn't be the first time), but if they know they have Mary's tomb elsewhere based on your comment then wouldn't they have DNA to compare it to? Hers?

Denise Lacazette
Exotic Pets Editor
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
If they find a body or bones, rather, in a tomb it won't be Jesus's because He rose from the dead. His tomb was empty when Mary of Magdalene and the other Mary first went in there after the stone was rolled away.

Matthew 28:1-8

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Shark
Shark
Do you have proof other than a written account? I'd be interested in viewing/hearing about it. The eyes can play tricks on you, stories can be exaggerated, and I'm sure hoaxes were played on people even back then. I need a bit more than words on paper.

Denise Lacazette
Exotic Pets Editor
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Yeah, I have proof. Look at yourself. Look out of a window at a tree. Look at a bird flying in the sky. Look at the Chinese written language for proof of the Bible's existence.

Look at archaeological finds. Piltdown Man: Bones used to reconstruct him were found to belong to an ape.

Nebraska Man: A tooth used to re-construct him were found to belong to an extinct pig.

Java Ape Man: Bones used to reconstruct him were found to belong to an elephant

In addition to everything else, the Bible reveals that God associated different doctrines and things with different numbers.

Sin has a number, as does Redemption, Resurrection, Judgment, etc... From beginning to end, these numbers remain the same.

An example is the number "7". "7"-Completeness: 7 days in a week, 7 years of plenty, 7 years of famine, 7 times around Jericho, wash in the Jordan 7 times.

The number 40. 40 days on the ark, 40 days in the desert, 40 days of fasting... the list goes on.

Every Hebrew and Greek letter (the languages the Bible was written in)stands for a number.

The numeric value of a word would be the sum of its letters. Every passage in the Bible teems with numeric design and features, demonstrating its with the certainty of a propsition in geometry.

No other piece of literature in the world is known to contain such a numerical construction.

It is absolutely impossible that some 40 men (there is that number 40 again that I previously mentioned), over a period of 1600 years could have planned these two categories of numberic patterns, design upon design, interlocking the entire book into one continuous, harmonious scheme.

There need be no other proof that the Bible was written by God.

This marvelous book has stood the tests of time, scientific accuracy, and fulfilled prophecy.

Cities and empires have faded away but the Bible remains indestructable despite its many enemies and critics.

Now go ahead and prove me wrong. You will find that you cannot.

Jesus loves you. Won't you love Him in return?

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.