Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
BiblBasixEditor #294033 02/21/07 11:51 AM
Zebra
Zebra
Originally Posted By: BiblBasixEditor
I think the reason so many of us seek after a relatonship with God, pondering HIs existance, measuring His Word etc, is because deep down inside of all of us there is a need to reconnect with our creator.

I think a Spiritual path is a human's way of seeking something better within themselves, whether there is a God involved or not. Whether one is seeking "inwardly" as in Buddhism, or "outwardly" towards a Divinity for Guidance, as in a Theistic Religion, we're after the same thing. A way of bettering ourselves, and by connection, the world we live in.
Quote:
I for one, don't think I resemble a primate much at all. So, for me, the idea of evolution just doesn't measure up.

It's not a question of resemblance, although there is much to illustrate that primates, particularly those in captivity and influenced by Human company, do show some extraordinarily and uncannily 'human' tendencies.
Some have even been successfully taught to communicate effectively via sign language.
It's also worth bearing in mind that Biologically speaking, we share 97% of a chimp's genetic structure.
Evolution does not imply that you should therefore reject God or disprove his existence through it.
Evolution may be a scientific expalnation of Earth's progress, but it doesn't eliminate God from the equasion, neither does it seek to. If there is God's hand in Evolution, it makes the whole thing no less remarkable and spectacular. In fact, looking at some of the extraordinary marine creatures discovered, by our ability to probe deeper than ever toward the ocean floor, I personally am amazed by their appearance and behaviour....it's nothing short of miraculous....!

Quote:
i am loved for myself and this motivates me to love myself and overflow with love for others. This contributes to peace within myself which hopefully will spill out in peace for all the world.

If I might be so bold, this is very much what Buddhism teaches us to strive for.
To be loved and accepted for ourselves, in our own eyes, which in turn, we are encouraged to reflect back at those around us, in the hope of eliminating suffering and striving for a world filled with Love.

let's drink to that....
Mine's a lemon soda.....! wink

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Alexandra #294037 02/21/07 11:56 AM
T
Shark
Shark
T
God loves us as we are but to have eternal life with Him we must be reconciled by Christ.

texasdave7 #294065 02/21/07 12:30 PM
Zebra
Zebra
But if God loves us as we are, then surely he can take and accept us as we are, warts and all?
If he knows that we are blessed with a loving and giving nature, why would he then cast us into the bowels of hell?

isn't that a bit cruel?

because you see, if he's going to be like that - a conditional, domineering and judgemental God, then I have (as he gave me) the right to choose. And I choose to decline his invitation, and take my chances with The Dalai Lama and Gandhi, Thich Naht Hanh and others of that ilk, whom I cannot believe are hell-bound.

Incidentally, there are those in Devout Religious circles who have counted the above as close personal friends, and who believe that there's room for everyone regardless.... The Dalai Lama regularly converses with Religuious Church leaders, and teaches and runs seminars Buddhist philosophy in Monasteries and Religous Denominational schools as does Thich Naht Hanh...mediation is practised by all sides, together....They collude, cooperate and discuss all aspects of religion quite harmoniously, with no attempt of conversion, as none is seen to be needed.

I think it's easy to become a little too insular and perhaps a little blinkered...
If Church leaders can exist in such a way, what is to stop us reaching the same accord?

Alexandra #294072 02/21/07 12:42 PM
T
Shark
Shark
T
Alexandra,
If you had children and there was a pedophile living down the street from you whom you KNEW for a fact would try to molest your children if given half a chance, would you let that person live in your house? Of course not. Neither will God. He will not allow those who refuse to follow His laws to live with His precious children in heaven. He loves them all but He gives us each free will to choose God's way or our own way. Since God is perfect and knows the fruition of all choices, He knows which children would corrupt His perfect home in heaven.

texasdave7 #294075 02/21/07 12:45 PM
Zebra
Zebra
Excuse me, but I hardly think comparing these wise and spiritual leaders to a paedophile is a fair comparison. In fact, I think it's quite an insult, and unkind of you to draw that comparison.
Are you saying that men of Christ on earth are more tolerant and forgiving than God?
For that is not their view, even if you believe it is God's....

Alexandra #294087 02/21/07 01:04 PM
T
Shark
Shark
T
I was speaking of people in general. God puts people in hell to keep their evil influences from those in heaven who have chosen to accept eternal life under God's terms.

texasdave7 #294090 02/21/07 01:07 PM
Zebra
Zebra
I thank you for your retraction. I take it that is what it was....

In that case, answer my question, then, please....

Alexandra #294094 02/21/07 01:16 PM
T
Shark
Shark
T
God has given us this life as a foretaste of life eternal. With the contrasted differences of life and death, good and evil, truth and lies so that we can make an informed choice. That is really the only reason we are here. To choose. To either choose God and eternal life or choose our own way and then get hell as the wages ( read that;earned) of our rejection of God. You may regard that as cruel because you regard your life as your own. In fact, God owns you because He created you. If you regard your life from the perspective of stewardship rather than ownership then you start to understand.

Alexandra #294100 02/21/07 01:26 PM
Zebra
Zebra
No....
My question was the following....

Originally Posted By: Alexandra
But if God loves us as we are, then surely he can take and accept us as we are, warts and all?
If he knows that we are blessed with a loving and giving nature, why would he then cast us into the bowels of hell?

isn't that a bit cruel?

....Incidentally, there are those in Devout Religious circles who have counted the above as close personal friends, and who believe that there's room for everyone regardless.... The Dalai Lama regularly converses with Religuious Church leaders, and teaches and runs seminars Buddhist philosophy in Monasteries and Religous Denominational schools as does Thich Naht Hanh...mediation is practised by all sides, together....They collude, cooperate and discuss all aspects of religion quite harmoniously, with no attempt of conversion, as none is seen to be needed.

I think it's easy to become a little too insular and perhaps a little blinkered...
If Church leaders can exist in such a way, what is to stop us reaching the same accord?

Alexandra #294102 02/21/07 01:33 PM
T
Shark
Shark
T
God does love us as we are but we are corrupted by sin. That sin must be dealt with. Jesus did that. The question is not whether God loves us as we are but do you love God as He is? It is not about God accepting us, it is about us accepting God. It is not about God rejecting us, it is about us rejecting God. If you do not choose Him then you have rejected Him by whatever other choice you have made. The natural consequence of rejecting Him is to be without Him. You do not go to heaven because you do not choose it. To go to heaven is to be with God. To reject God is to reject heaven. So, in essence, you choose hell yourself.

Last edited by texasdave7; 02/21/07 01:33 PM.
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.