logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29062 06/02/03 07:02 AM
OP Offline
Hi bird lovers~

My son has a parakeet that we got last August from a local pet shop. He's a wonderful little bird, very friendly. My first question is, he has a really long beak now, and he won't use the stone that's in there for him to trim it himself. Is there a way for me to trim it for him? should i just take him to the vet for it or is it something i can do at home? i am comfortable holding him, but i wouldnt want to hurt him in any way, so if it's not easy to do, i don't really want to attempt it myself. My second thing is, he seems to have a favorite bathroom spot, HIS WATER!! i change it twice a day because he just wont let it stay clean. i dont want him to get sick from drinking contaminated water, but i dont know how to prevent this. thirdly..when we got him, they suggested he be alone his his cage, with no other birds, so we didnt get him a friend. I got him a plastic 'friend' that is his size, and he can't get enough of it! he sits on it, nuzzles up against it, i feel like he must be so lonely, should i try getting him a friend? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#29063 06/02/03 08:26 AM
M
Koala
Koala
M
As far as the beak is concerned, the top beak is supposed to extend down past the bottom beak. If it is really too long though, I would definately take him to an "avian" vet (or at least a vet who specialized in birds) to have it looked at & possibly trimmed. Most birds can keep their beaks trimmed by chewing things like natural branches, cuttlebone, mineral blocks or sandy perches.

With him messing his water, I would look at where he is perching to do this. If there is a perch just above, then moving it would be the solution. If he is just perching on his dish then possibly a different or smaller dish or maybe its time to think about a water bottle. Otherwise, just continue to offer clean water several times a day.

Budgies are very sociable birds. If he is getting plenty of out of cage time to spend with your son (or other members of the family), he will be fine on his own. But if he is in his cage more than he is out, I would suggest getting a friend for him.

I hope I answered all your question, but if you have any more, or if I wasn't clear, please feel free to ask more. Good luck.

Mavis

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.