logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I had two clutches that hatched 2/1/03 - 2/4/03. One clutch of zebras and one clutch of societies
The zebra males are already singing and getting their cheek patches so I can sex them easily.
I have four society babies and have not noticed one singing yet. When do they start singing? Am I right that the song is pretty much the only way of sexing them? I also would like to know when you usually let them go to their new homes. They are about 7 weeks old now. I've read somethings that say 6 week, some 8 weeks, some three months.
What do you say, Mavis? Bye the way, my zebra pair is already sitting on the next clutch of 3 eggs, there was four but one broke. Thanks, Sheree

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
I am no finch expert! But I would think if the babies are eating well enough on their own then they would be ready to go to their new homes. As to the singing/sexing......Mavis will have to help you out there!! conniem

M
Koala
Koala
M
Connie is right Sheree. Once the babies are eating & drinking on their own, they can go to new homes. The reason there is a variation in times is that some babies sometimes take a bit longer than others to become independent. Six weeks might be rushing it a bit, but between 7-8 weeks would cover most babies. The song is the only way to sex Societies. I can't remember exactly how old the babies here were when they started to sing, but at first the song is more silent & it was watching the males make singing attempts that let us know that every sing baby was a male. There was about 2 weeks difference in time when the first baby sang until the 2nd baby sang. Sometimes a male doesn't sing until he is put with a female though. Not much point in singing until you have someone to sing to. :music: When you send you babies to new homes, tell them what sex you think it is, but tell them that you might be wrong (it happens even with experienced breeders).

Mavis
OP Offline
Thanks so much for your help! I am going to let my societies go and hold on to my zebra males until their cheek patches get clearer. Time to get ready for the next batch! Sheree

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.