Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#283528 12/05/06 03:21 PM
D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Feel free to discuss today's decorating shows here. What are your favorites - least favorites?

Any decorating tips you've applied in your own home after watching a show?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Okay - no takers on this thread, yet, so I'm going to jump in.

One I love to watch is Trading Spaces. Does anyone else watch? I just get a huge kick out of all the things they do on the show for so little money. I like to imagine how I would decorate the rooms if I were the designer.

Do you have a favorite designer from the show? My favorites are Frank and Christy.

I still shudder over a room Hilde did years ago that was all black except for a bright yellow table in the center of the room. She dressed it up with glasses of milk and boiled eggs. Ugh. I felt really bad for the homeowners. I believe it made Trading Spaces top 10 worst rooms list. What a disappointment that must have been for the owners. frown

Last edited by Donna Coogan; 02/06/07 11:18 PM.

Donna Coogan, C.I.D.

Koala
Koala
I like Neat and Clean Sweep is another one of my favorites. Seems like we watch these shows more on the weekend than any other time.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Shark
Shark
Is Frank still on that show? I can't stand most of his stuff!

Ok, to add to your Hilde disaster- did you ever see the one where she decided that she didn't like the color of the carpet- so she painted it! Seriously, they took rollers to the carpet, and painted it. Ridiculous! I've also see her do the same thing to old furniture!

I ♥ www.luxeluthor.com
Koala
Koala
I am not much of a fan of Trading Spaces. I do remember watching one time when they used liquid nail to glue cardboard to walls and made cardboard furniture...it was horrible

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Shark
Shark
UGGHHH!

I wouldn't believe it, if I hadn't seen some of the other things they've attempted.

That's just ridiculous!

I used to watch Surprise by Design (I think that's the name) w/ Robert Verdi, and a woman whose name I can't remember- they usually did nice things....I don't think that's on anymore though.

I ♥ www.luxeluthor.com
D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Connie,
I haven't seen Neat, but I like Clean Sweep, too. Makes me think of all the decluttering I need to work on! Very motivating.

Donna

D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Stephanie, I didn't see the one with painted carpet. Too scary! Though, I think that's half the reason I like to watch - to see what Hilde is going to do next. Although, I do feel sorry for the homeowners when they aren't happy.

Connie, I also didn't see the one about cardboard furniture. LOL I don't like when they replace furniture with really stiff foam pieces because they found it inexpensively. The room may look nice, but no one wants to sit on that stuff. I think they're better off just making pretty slipcovers for the pieces the homeowner already had or finding a nice, cheap comfy (clean!!!) sofa that they can slipcover.

Stephanie, I love painting furniture, so that's not a problem for me, unless it is a true antique.

I think the show has lots of good tips for budget decorating, though. It teaches you to think outside the box by using what you have or tapping into your creative skills.

Shark
Shark
Oh, I like painting furniture too- I realized I forgot to mention that the peice of furniture in question was a leather armchair!

You're right though, they do come up with some good ideas- if you are going to be a creative risk taker you're sure to have both hits and misses!

Have you used anything you've seen in the show in your own decorating in your home?

I ♥ www.luxeluthor.com
D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Hi Stephanie,

I don't remember that episode, but when you mentioned painted leather I thought of a furniture company called Sticks (sticks.com). They make the most amazing leather pieces of furniture - all custom designed and handpainted. I am a huge fan and would love to own a piece someday. Expensive, but their creativity is remarkable.

I'm trying to remember if I've used anything I've seen in the show. I can't think of anything specific. For me it is a show where I draw inspiration from and mostly just enjoy watching what they are going to do next. I love seeing what can be done for $1000 to transform an entire room.

I also can't watch it without thinking what I would do if it were up to me. I am a decorator at heart, so it would be fun to have that kind of challenge (and a carpenter at my disposal!).

I think the only thing that bothers me about the show is the homeowners don't have a say. I think it would be more exciting for them to be able to share their interests and preferences with the designer, then go work on their neighbors home for 2 days and come back and see what the designer did with that information. Some of the designers are starting to pay more attention to that, but some shows it seems they just get lost in their own ideas with complete disregard of whether the homeowner would really want to live with the results (aka - Hilde's black dining room nightmare!).

To me decorating is about creating a space the homeowner loves. They can still be introduced to new ideas and concepts and exposed to things they hadn't thought of with great results. I just don't think it's good to take their interests or lifestyle out of the equation.

But, that's television drama, right!

Donna

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.