Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lisbeth Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
L
'We were Evil' Google founder admits here; with boycott information and phone numbers to call to protest Google's actions.

Lisbeth Cheever-Gessaman
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Wolf
Wolf
Google has totally surrendered to China.

U
U
Wondering why this is in the Human Rights folder?

Is freedom to Google now becoming a new expectation of 21st century human rights?

Has the United Nations been informed of this breech of freedom?

Wolf
Wolf
Google as a private organization has the freedom to do what it wants. Most of the multinationals are operating in China and know well about human rights violations there. They all are in this together. Google is being singled out because it censored all anti govt. search results in China.

But all are equally responsible. those who shout loudest against google use many Made in China products. talk of double standards.

U
U
Quote:
Google as a private organization has the freedom to do what it wants.

Huh??

This has exactly what to do with universally recognized standards of 'human rights'?

Wolf
Wolf
If you hold google responsible and very rightly so, then what about thousands of companies operating in China which has one of the most dictatorial regimes? No human rights are respected in China. Why absolve other companies?

Zebra
Zebra
What makes you think we ARE absolving other companies?
Chinese ones are somewhat harder to get hold of though...

Every single Festive Christmas decoration I have seen in UK stores so far - every single one - bears the inscription, "Made in China".

Communism at its best....

U
U
Although I'm totally behind freedom of speech and information, and a big fan of Amnesty International, I'm thinking this campaign is way off base. You're trying to blame internet search engine companies for Chinese repression in Tibet and human rights violations? That's a stretch of the imagination.

A link to the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights: http://www.unhchr.ch/html/intlinst.htm.

No mention of internet search engines or Google.com.

I suggest that if you want to improve the human rights of people you can find far more malevolent perpetrators of oppression than Google.com.

Wolf
Wolf
This has to do with Google's image. It has cultivated a image of not doing anything wrong for corporate profits. So when google launched itself in China and agreeed to all the conditions, those who belived in google felt cheated.

Now no body belives that google will do right at the cost of profit. google lost all its goodwill in a day. Had google not accepted Chinese conditions in search of anti China material, google would have found a big majority admiring it and using its services loyally. After that day, yahoo is slowly catching up with google.

L
Lisbeth Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
L
Quote:
Although I'm totally behind freedom of speech and information, and a big fan of Amnesty International, I'm thinking this campaign is way off base. You're trying to blame internet search engine companies for Chinese repression in Tibet and human rights violations? That's a stretch of the imagination.

A link to the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights: http://www.unhchr.ch/html/intlinst.htm.

No mention of internet search engines or Google.com.

I suggest that if you want to improve the human rights of people you can find far more malevolent perpetrators of oppression than Google.com.

Greetings!

Just to clarify, the purpose of this forum is to provide an outlet of discussion for human rights, abuses, violations and any aspect thereof. Are there more damaging representations and/or violations? Assuredly, and I invite you to post them as you will.

However. Censorship as a rule is always a violation of human rights because it represents repression of a people. As a fan of Amnesty International, you likely are aware on July 20 of this year, they launched a global campaign specifically against internet repression. The campaign aims to claim back the web as a force for change in the face of an increasing willingness on the part of technology companies to aid censorship and repression.

And thus.

Lisbeth Cheever-Gessaman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andria B - Human Rights 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.