logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DrGwenn Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
This month's Journal of the AMA published a study showing the validity of the "wait and see prescription" for treating acute ear infections.

Just curious, if you knew your child had a true ear infection, how comfortable would you be with this approach?

Once a few folks weigh in I'll share my pedi experience with you.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
My kids aren't wait and see kids. They're the treat immediately or you're going to have an even bigger problem type kids. Ear infections are usually part of a much bigger sinus infection with my two.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I believe most ear infections will resolve on their own. We use WALLY'S EAR OIL here with great success. Of course, I should also mention that my 4 year old had a problem with cow's milk based formula. My 1 year old is still nursing and has never had an ear infection. I've done a lot of reading and know that in SOME kids dairy can be the culprit thanks to increased mucus production.

I chose my children's doctor specifically because he is more HOLISTIC. He's an MD but doesn't believe in writing scripts unless they are really necessary. Our original doctor had my son on antibiotics straight for almost 4 months which certainly wasn't the answer. I was a new mom and didn't know any better...

Last edited by JanZeiger; 09/13/06 10:31 PM.
Koala
Koala
After my first child's ear drum blew using this wonderful WASP approach, I switched to a pedi group that was more inclined to evaluate each individual child's medical needs/conditions using a holistic approach as opposed to using a blanket approach to treatment. Aggressive treatment has kept my kiddos out of the ER--mostly--and has helped delay additional "recommended" surgeries (such as tonsils/adenoids). Both of my children were soy kids--dairy had no impact on their continual ear infections.

There shouldn't be a "one-size fits all" approach to medical care.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Right. I agree.

I tried to get them to talk with me about allergies though and they wouldn't consider it. So I think it's important to have a doctor who listens to parents concerns and responds!

As for soy, that's one of the top 7 allergens..Not saying it was a problem for your kids but I know it bothers some.

Also, to me "wait and see" shouldn't mean weeks...

Koala
Koala
Ah, the allergy issue. Luckily, my pedis DO believe sensitivities start early--my two are totally allergic to anything that gives off pollen. And mold. Oi. Mine were very easy to track: pollen/mold goes up, my kids start sniffling/sneezing/coughing/wheezing. It goes down and we start getting back to normal.

Dairy, so far, is our only food intolerance.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I'm not a big fan of routine antibiotic use because I had chronic ear infections until I was 22 and now the usual antibiotics simply don't work for me.

thankfully I've only had 1 child bothered by constant ear infections. I tried natural stuff and when it didnt help she went for antibiotics. They didnt really help either, I had to take her off dairy and she had to do some growing.

I have a very good ped who is actually tries to find a culprit behind constant problems rather than just treat the symptoms. One or two ear infections a year is one thing, one a month is something totally different, ya know.

Meg

Meg
The World is Our Classroom!
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
DrGwenn Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Lynn hit the nail on the head - there really is no one size fits all approach in pediatrics, in my mind at least. The WASP approach works well for most kids but certainly not for kids like Lynn's who have a specific allergy and sinus issue. Once the ball starts rolling with fluid in some kids ears, only antibiotics will help once infected.

Of interest, our European colleagues have been using the WASP approach for many, many years with excellent results. We are still over using antibiotics in my mind but there are still times they are definitely needed. I've found many ways to compromise with parents who are leary about waiting.

Thanks to all for sharing. If anyone else has opinions, add them to the mix!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.