logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#263763 08/19/06 11:18 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I've had two recent health crises and hospitalizations--one related to diabetes, the other related to an unruly appendix.

Both hospital stays were brief, but agonizing. Oh, the staff was nice enough, but I missed my own bed and I really missed the big, fuzzy cat that usually sleeps at my side.

I got through by staring at the television set and reading books (Maeve Binchy's Aches and Pains was one of them).

I'd love to hear about your hospitalizations. What did you go in for? How did you make it through the tedium of a hospital stay? Other readers need your wisdom, so don't be shy to join in with information and advice!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#263764 10/01/06 06:56 AM
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
The last time I was in the hospital I was amazed at the working life of nurses. Different shifts seemed to be like opposing teams in a football game, and those working the weekend aliens from another planet.

I have trouble sleeping away from home, and suppose I was very close to the nurse's station - I could hear the delight of the nurses who were given a box of chocolates by a patient released a few weeks before, and then the discovery of the hidden box by the next shift, and then the complaints of those who found the scant leftovers in the middle of the night, with bitter condemnation following from the original shift who took possession of the gift in the first place. And then the weekend shift arrived - to find an empty box, that stayed there another day or two.

All three shifts must have kept watch and aided the patient, but I suppose the day shift was kept busiest. On the other hand, the other two shifts gave up their evenings and nights at home with their families, plus the daylight hours when they had to sleep. And of course, the weekend shift has all that and a bit more sacrifice.

When I was last in the hospital overnight with my son, I was alarmed about the way they decided to arbitrarily change his insulin regime and blood sugar testing. The doctor ordered 16 units of insulin for a blood sugar reading that was treated successfully with three.

When I protested and insisted on 3 units, they told me not to worry, my son was going to have 'frequent' blood sugar testing. I was relieved, because I tested him every one or two hours when he was sick.

How often is 'frequent' in the hospital?

Every four hours.

It made me wonder how healthy hospitals are for people with diabetes in general.

I know that type 2 diabetes is different than type one, and much more frequent, but the difference between 16 units and 3 units can't be negligible no matter which type it is.

The nurses were wonderful. They can't go against the doctors' orders though. I can't complain about the doctors either. Of course I still do.

One thing that was wonderful was that my good friend brought me a pair of slippers to wear that had about an inch of foam to them.

What would you ask to be brought for you when you are in the hospital? Those slippers were wonderful, but I also appreciated magazines - and I loved having cards pinned up on the bulletin board by my bed.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
#263765 10/01/06 04:00 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi Pam,

You make an excellent point about only the first shift being rewarded when all the shifts have played a role in the patient's care. So sorry about your son's experience. I'm diabetic (controlled with oral meds) and I get very nervous if someone starts messing around with my doses.

I also like your ideas for gifts from visitors. Reading material is number one on my list, followed by any kind of humorous greeting card (especially one with cats on it). I love sweets, too, but most of my friends know I am diabetic and refuse to bring me anything but that disgusting artificially sweetened stuff....

Regards,

#263766 10/06/06 09:52 AM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Pam you hit the nail on the head by saying the nurses were like opposing teams in a football game. I just had to comment because I am a registered nurse and I have never in my life seen such animosity between co-workers. I was taught that nursing was suppose to be continuity of care but that is not happening in the real world and in the end it's the patients that suffer. Sometimes I feel that administration is at fault because they differeniate between the shifts; meaning that administration is at the hospital during the time that day shift is there, so day shift is what is more on their minds. They sometimes forget they have a night shift and weekend shift that also do the same things as day shift its just done at a different time. Nursing is a second career for me, I was 37 when I entered the medical field and have been there for 7 years now. I am amazed at the attitudes of some nurses, its like their afraid someone is going to get more then them, or they will have to do more than the other, sometimes I'm ashamed to say I'm a nurse. Nursing should be about the patients and not about the nurses. When people come to the hospital they are scared, away from family and friends and most of all sick. They deserve excellent care no matter what their circumstances are. I have found that listening to your patients is an absolute key in nursing. They know there history and what works and doesn't work for them, and it is our responsibiltiy as a nurse to relay this information to the doctor. I have worked all three of the shifts you mentioned and there is a difference of night and day between the day shift, night shift and weekend shift.

#263767 10/07/06 01:50 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Reyro--

Thanks for reading and commenting. It's sad when professionals forget they're on the same team and that the only goal that matters is treating the patient. I hate to admit it, but that happens in my profession, social work, as well.

I look forawrd to hearing more from you!

Regards,

Moderated by  Pam - Senior Issues 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.