Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
M
Hi everyone. In my latest article I wrote about the importance of reading to our daughters no matter what age they are.

Because of size I could only recommend a few books so I am posting here hoping that everyone will share what books were enjoyed by their daughters. I'm looking for books for all ages.

I can think of a couple off hand.

For very advanced readers: Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien, this one is not eay to read aloud though. It is a great book to be read to oneself and should not be missed.

For young readers: anything by Carolyn Haywood. The words in her books are printed larger with more space so it is easier for little eyes.

Where the Wild Things Are...I am not sure of the author

What books do you recommend for reading aloud?

Amy R. Kendall
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
We love the Enchanted Forest Chronicles, starting with Dealing With Dragons. The author is Patricia C. Wrede. They're suitable for middle grade and up, including adults. (I just re-read them.) Cimererene is a very unconventional princess who thinks balls and parties are dull and who prefers to study. (However, she does love to cook and clean, so she's not rebelling against the traditional female role, just against the princess role. Princesses don't clean. They train in flirting and fainting.

Terrie Lynn Bittner
Training Manager
LDS Families
Author of Homeschooling:Take a Deep Breath--You Can Do This!

AOL: TerrieLBittner
D
D
For younger readers: Robert McCloskey's books, one of our favorites is 'Blueberries for Sal'. Beatrix Potter's 'The Tale of....' series includes Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny, Jeminma Puddle-Duck, Squierrel Nutkin, Tom Kitten, The Flopsy Bunnies, Mr Jeremy Fisher, and Timmy Tiptoes.

We have also enjoyed the Paddington series by Bond, The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden.

T
T
I agree with Darcy's suggestion about The Chronicles of Narnia. We are just finishing the final book, and we've really enjoyed the series.

We also really enjoyed "The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" and "The Witch of Blackbird Pond".

E
Koala
Koala
E
I loved Lucy Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series as a child. They're probably a bit long to read aloud though.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
R
Amoeba
Amoeba
R
I loved My Louisanna Sky, by Kimberly Willis Holt. It is about a girl whose parents are mentally handicapped. I also love anything and everything by Kate Klise - Regarding the Fountain and Letters from Camp are my favorites. Her books are for middle readers, but they have clever illustrations, and they are all told in letter formatt.

Jeanne Rutgers
Reading Editor
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
i think alot of young girls are confused about dating, and i think the book: The blueprint for my girls in love by:yasmin shiraz is a great book..its a perfect guide to helping young girls decide for themselves what they want from relationships, guys and love. i read it and as an adult i found it very informative and could apply it to my own life

Amoeba
Amoeba
This book recommended for adolescent,teen-and college age daughters:
Letters and Reflections to My Adopted Daughters

Book Review by Sylvia Cochran of Suite101.com

The name John Newton may ring a bell for some...actually, anyone whose eyes ever strayed to the bottom of the page of the church hymnal while singing the unforgettable moving hymn �Amazing Grace,� should recognize it. Mr. Newton (1725-1807) penned it in 1779. Lest anyone thinks of him as a �milquetoast� kind of minister who hasn�t seen a hard day in his life, please remember that this John Newton:

* lost his mother at a young age and was raised by his non-Christian father,
* went to sea when he was only eleven years of age, after only a couple of years of formal education
* deserted from the British Navy and was captured and flogged
* lived as a slave for 15 months in Africa
* engaged in the slave trade
* suffered epileptic seizures
* struggled to educate himself while at sea

These facts are readily available . Yet, another fact that seems to be left out of most biographies, and in others only receives a passing mention, is Mr. Newton�s decision to adopt his nieces (by marriage) Elizabeth Catlett and Eliza Cunningham (who died at the age of 14) who became orphaned in 1774. Elizabeth took care of him after he lost his wife to cancer in 1790.

Ms. Moreen, herself adopted, compiled some of the 21 letters John Newton wrote to his adopted daughters. The letters offer the readers a glimpse into the heart of a man who not only loved God with his entire being, but -- more importantly -- who sought to pass on this love in word and deed to his daughters. The letters offer encouragement, spiritual guidance, yet also fatherly counsel.�

These vintage letters serve as a shining example how a one-time uneducated slave trader was transformed by God�s grace into a disciple of Christ, walking the walk, and taking on the challenge of parenting adopted children, even though his own upbringing was less than ideal. The letters further show the heart and mind of a man who is determined to involve God in every aspect of his life and does not shrink back from new challenges, not even from parenting.

Pick up this book and be inspired! If you are a parent who is somewhat flustered with the day to day challenges that parenting children may bring, please pick up this book and learn from someone who put his faith in God into practice and allowed it to permeate every aspect of his parenting.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LETTERS AND REFLECTIONS TO MY ADOPTED DAUGHTERS
Compiled by Jody Moreen, penned by John Newton, 1700's English pastor and hymn writer of "Amazing Grace"
Pleasant Word (a division of Winepress Publishing)
141410264X
Christian Living/Parenting

LETTERS AND REFLECTIONS TO MY ADOPTED DAUGHTERS

--------------------

Last edited by Jody M; 05/29/06 02:18 AM.

Jody Moreen,adoptee
Adoptees Cafe Devotions
Adopteescafe.blogspot.com
Adoptee Phone Mentor

Moderated by  Tuculia, Daughters Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.