logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#242764 04/13/06 10:28 AM
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I wasn't sure where to post this.....this article from the NY Times discusses new diagnostic tests called "Genomics." In case the link disappears, here's a brief summary:

A Crystal Ball Submerged in a Test Tube
By ANDREW POLLACK
Published: April 13, 2006

When her hairdresser asked her last fall whether she would continue wearing her hair long, Elizabeth Sloan broke down crying. Unbeknown to the hairstylist, Ms. Sloan had recently had a breast tumor removed and was expecting to begin chemotherapy, which would probably mean losing her hair.

The test taken by Ms. Sloan, known as Oncotype DX and offered by a company called Genomic Health, is part of a new wave of sophisticated genetic or protein tests that are starting to remake the diagnostics business, both for the technology they use and the way they are developed and sold.

The company's test could receive new attention as a result of a major medical journal study, published yesterday, which found that women with a certain kind of breast tumor might not benefit from chemotherapy. Genomic Health's test could potentially be used for further screening by such women and their doctors.

............Genomic Health, which is based in Redwood City, Calif., is not the first company to offer a high-priced genetic test as a laboratory service. Myriad Genetics of Salt Lake City has been offering a patent-protected test for the risk of developing breast cancer since the late 1990's. It charges $3,000 for the most thorough version.

A Crystal Ball Submerged Inside A Test Tube

The article goes on to say that these tests will drive up health care and insurance costs, and that most insurance will not cover them anyway.

As someone with no health insurance and experience with HMO's that refuse to pay for necessary tests and treatment, this makes me furious. I feel that if health care costs came down so that we could pay for them like groceries and gas, we could do away with health insurance and we'd all be a lot healthier.

But of course that will never happen because pharmaceutical companies and doctors are not going to give up six figure incomes. Their revenue is more important than our health.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
At the risk of having something thrown at me....most doctors don't make as much money as you think, especially those working for big hospitals. And even if a doctor IS making the normal physician's salary ($150,000 in my area) he/she probably has to pay malpractice insurance and other business costs out of his/her own pocket.

Given the amount of money invested in their educations, the level of expertise they offer and the stress they put up on a daily basis, I don't think a 6-figure income is all that unreasonable.

Lisa

Moderated by  Gail A - AW&BC Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.