logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 311
Shark
Offline
Shark
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 311
I don't mind shaving -- I actually really like the feel of smooth, unhairy skin. I wax various body parts regularly, because though it hurts more, it does keep the hair away longer.

Lucky are the women who have little hair! I have lots :-(

I agree, it is unfair that we do have to adhere to a social code that states hairless is sexy and attractive. In Europe, there is no such code -- lots of armpit and leg hair there! Social codes are so pervasive, and extend to so many things, from smooth body parts to how to dress when working out. So, do you fight it by doing what you want, or submit to it so as not to stand out?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,004
Wolf
Offline
Wolf
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,004
Quote:
I don't mind shaving -- I actually really like the feel of smooth, unhairy skin. I wax various body parts regularly, because though it hurts more, it does keep the hair away longer.

Lucky are the women who have little hair! I have lots :-(

I agree, it is unfair that we do have to adhere to a social code that states hairless is sexy and attractive. In Europe, there is no such code -- lots of armpit and leg hair there! Social codes are so pervasive, and extend to so many things, from smooth body parts to how to dress when working out. So, do you fight it by doing what you want, or submit to it so as not to stand out?


I believe in being an iconoclast.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 7
Newbie
Offline
Newbie
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 7
Yes I do believe media influences body image. I don't understand why every commercial, television show, movies, magazines, celeberties, etc. have to have womens boobies hanging all out of their shirts. Now it is in society where I live. Everywhere you go women have their breats hangng out. Why can't we just get over this and cover up ourselves. I feel it is very disrespectful and I really don't want my husband to have some other womens boobs thrown in his face every 5 minutes. I am not that unfortuanate but I always cover myself up. There are way to many pervs. and my husband wouldn't let me leave the house in shirts like that. All the shirts in every cataloge or at the mall are all boob shirts now. It takes me forever to find a decent shirt to cover myself for work anymore without having to wear a camisole underneath it.


Luv My Chihuahuas
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 977
Parakeet
Offline
Parakeet
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 977
Now I'm aware of these issues but I wasn't around the age of 14 or so..

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 28
Newbie
Offline
Newbie
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 28
I think somewhere there is a little influence of media in all of us. Its not that we really aspire to be like those models on TV but we do wish to look our best-and we often realise it while watching some advert.

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,004
Wolf
Offline
Wolf
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,004
Quote:
I think somewhere there is a little influence of media in all of us. Its not that we really aspire to be like those models on TV but we do wish to look our best-and we often realise it while watching some advert.


ad. agencies have developed the fine art to influence consumers.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 20
T
Newbie
Offline
Newbie
T
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 20
Absolutely! I get fustrated to always see the unrealistic expectations that are put on women through the media. I'm all about eating right and exercising, but there are many different body types, and not every woman will have a small frame and wear a size 2, even if they're really fit. I wish that as much money that went into finding the "perfect" bodies to put on the front of all the magazines, instead more attention and money would be put into displaying the huge variety of beautiful women that grace our world. Some companies like Dove are starting to get it. Until everyone else does, I'm afraid we're still going to have an incredible number of girls and women that will suffer from eating disorders and life altering self-esteem issues.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,611
Chipmunk
Offline
Chipmunk
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,611
Oh Absolutely!!!!

Look at the ruckus over the Dove Real Beauty campaign. Why the drama over a size 10 woman in her underwear?

I was so happy to hear that for fashion week in Spain the Spanish government required that all models have a minumum BMI of 18. This meant a 5'9" model would have to weight 125 pounds. Not exactly chubby <img src="/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" /> , but a lot better than the malnourished models we have been seeing.


Wine Host, Italian Food, Library Sciences Host
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,436
Chipmunk
Offline
Chipmunk
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,436
I know I put pressure on myself about my weight. It doesn't help to watch movies and see super thin women. Being healthy is one thing, but I think some of these women are scary thin. I really respect Jennifer Garner who took her time losing the baby weight. She was doing it healthy. I like classic movies, because the women are normal looking. The media is starting to affect men too. Maybe now, something will finally be done about it.

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,090
Koala
Offline
Koala
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Everywhere you go women have their breats hangng out. Why can't we just get over this and cover up ourselves. I feel it is very disrespectful and I really don't want my husband to have some other womens boobs thrown in his face every 5 minutes. I am not that unfortuanate but I always cover myself up. There are way to many pervs. and my husband wouldn't let me leave the house in shirts like that. All the shirts in every cataloge or at the mall are all boob shirts now. It takes me forever to find a decent shirt to cover myself for work anymore without having to wear a camisole underneath it.


I too have problems finding decent things to wear! And the sizes are totally messed up. I wear a size medium shirt and now that all the clothes are so tight I still feel uncomfortable in an XL (if I can find one!). I like to buy clothing from second hand stores now and frequent garage sales. Another problem I have is that I don't like the cut of jeans! Why do men get to have the loose baggy clothing and we have to wear tight poor fitting clothing?!


Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Nadine - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Meditation and Tea Drinking
by mary-tea1 - 06/17/21 05:29 PM
MEDITATION YOGA RETREAT
by mary-tea1 - 06/17/21 05:23 PM
2021: On this day . . .
by Mona - Astronomy - 06/17/21 11:47 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 06/17/21 08:11 AM
No Act of Kindness.....
by Angie - 06/17/21 08:09 AM
Easy Dorm Room Decorations
by Angie - 06/16/21 08:06 PM
How to use anchors
by Ravina - 06/15/21 03:49 AM
How can i fix a background?
by Ravina - 06/15/21 03:46 AM
Attacking the Clutter
by Angie - 06/14/21 07:47 PM
How to Build Business Credit
by Ravina - 06/14/21 01:09 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!


| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2021 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5